Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bastian Boese
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
"You don't want to wake the dragon, do you?"
badge
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.”
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that there is a german version available makes me think about backing the project.

I'm wondering about the weight of the game. The theme would be a hit with some of my friends who don't play board games regularly. Is this teachable in 5-10 minutes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! This is exactly why the designers made this game. They loved Glory to Rome, but it took too long to teach and sometimes people still didn't understand. So, they set out to stream line the game, add in a few things to keep it interesting, and to make sure it was teachable to new gamers.

You can watch the designers here talking about and teaching the game.
https://live.kickstarter.com/daily-magic-games/live/how-to-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Boese
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
"You don't want to wake the dragon, do you?"
badge
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I'll watch that vid later and then decide if I'll jump on board. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha Peacock
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just come across this thread - did you back it?! I did, I am still trying to get my hands on a copy of Glory to Rome but think it will be good to have this as well for playing with lighter or non-gamers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll drop my 2 on the OP's question about weight and who would play it. I've so far only played FTC with my wife (PNP). I can play anything outside of a war game with my wife. We own 2 previously released GtR clones--Uchronia and Mottainai. She enjoys Uchronia, but dislikes Mottainai. She feels FTC resembles Mottainai more than Uchronia. That being said, she likes FTC...for now.

I've played GtR, but my wife has not. I mostly understood the game after a run through of the rules. However, our first game of FTC took a rules explanation + several turns in for my wife to grasp the game fully. And that's with previous experience with similar games.

I for one will not be attempting this game with casual gamers (I define a casual gamer as one whose threshold of complexity is right about at the level of Ticket to Ride). Food Truck Champion is comfortably in the medium complexity range. Like GtR and Mottainai, its rules just aren't that intuitive. A gamer experienced in a wide variety of games, especially medium+ weight games with multi-use cards, would catch on pretty quickly. But I don't think it's fair to call it a light-weight.

And one more thing going firmly against it with casual gamers is the game length. It's a fun game, but definitely feels too long for what it is. And casual gamers lose interest in games that require strategic thinking for long periods of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.