15 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enhancements: Double Dots = Double Curse/Bless? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
--- ---
msg tools
Greetings,

On an attack with two (2) enhancement dots next to it (i.e. on the same line), is it permissible to add two curse enhancements to said attack? Likewise, is it permissible to add two bless enhancements to a heal, shield or other self-/ally-targeting ability with two enhancement dots?

I did a quick search but did not find another post on the subject. Feel free to link it if it exists.

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*edit: I was wrong according to Isaac you can do this if you wish

you could but it would be pointless as page 22 on the rule book states

Quote:
only one of each condition type may be applied to any single figure at a time

So although you could curse (or bless) someone twice in a turn using two actions you couldn't curse or bless multiple times with the same action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aquillo wrote:
you could but it would be pointless as page 22 on the rule book states

Quote:
only one of each condition type may be applied to any single figure at a time

So although you could curse (or bless) someone twice in a turn using two actions you couldn't curse or bless multiple times with the same action

How is this tracked because iirc a Curse adds a card to the monster deck (and Bless to the character deck), so you then have to remember that a) it was put in there b) it is still in there or c) it has been revealed and removed?

With regards to the character deck how would you know which Bless was from the Sanctuary of the Sacred Oak and which was from the Shield etc.?

According to Isaac the curse/bless tokens were not supposed to be printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you don't need to track them, its a condition that is applied instantly and has no duration,

However if you applied 2 at a time (as opposed to doing it twice) you would be breaking the rule on page 22.

So you can have multiple curse or bless cards in your/a monsters deck but each one must be added separately (with the exception of before game effects like the oak or a scenario)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
As Aquillo says you dont need to track them other than to remember they were added and remove them it they haven't been triggered by the end of the scenario.

(Also remember to discard them, when they are revealed in play,from whichever deck they were in not shuffle them back into it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not convinced that the rule Ben quotes applies here. Since curse/bless is not tracked as a condition, if the two curse effects are applied sequentially you should be able to apply both.

I believe the rule quoted is stating that you could not for example wound an enemy that is already wounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but that's just the thing your not applying them sequentially as they are both applied at the end of the attack/action (at the same time as all other conditions), however unlike other conditions if you had another attack/action in the same turn you could then apply a curse bless with that one as curse/bless have no duration
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
nom_ wrote:
I am not convinced that the rule Ben quotes applies here. Since curse/bless is not tracked as a condition, if the two curse effects are applied sequentially you should be able to apply both.

I believe the rule quoted is stating that you could not for example wound an enemy that is already wounded.

I agree with Simon. It is already stated in the FAQ (?) that you could curse and bless a target multiple times which makes those 2 states an exception from the above quoted rule. The rule itself only says that a certain target cannot have the same condition more than once at the same time (if it is still poisoned, it can't get poisoned again). It does not give any specific time frames, so it does not support any of your arguments about doing it in one action vs 2 actions. Needs official clarification, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP is correct. The quoted rule doesn't apply to curse and bless, since they are not trackable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cephalofair wrote:
The OP is correct. The quoted rule doesn't apply to curse and bless, since they are not trackable.

soooo potentially one attack can add 2 curse cards???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agoobwa wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:

Yes, and both those curses could potentially be pulled by a totally different enemy as they're just shuffled into the general monster modifier deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agoobwa wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:

It's only fair since...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Elite Fairy Imps or whatever they're called can double Curse as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra McNichols
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mfaulk80 wrote:
Agoobwa wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:

It's only fair since...
Elite Fairy Imps or whatever they're called can double Curse as well...

Indeed they can. We bit the fuzzy end of that lollipop. Elite imps are now priority #1 when they appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Baker
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Along the same line of reasoning, if I add curse to an AOE card like Dirt Tornado does it add a curse for each creature attacked i.e. up to 7 cards in case of Dirt Tornado?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smbakeresq wrote:
Along the same line of reasoning, if I add curse to an AOE card like Dirt Tornado does it add a curse for each creature attacked i.e. up to 7 cards in case of Dirt Tornado?

Aye. See also the recent FAQ entry concerning the limit of curses:

FAQ wrote:
The curse deck is split into two equal decks of 10 cards each. One deck is exclusively for putting curse cards into the players’ attack modifier decks, and the other is exclusively for putting curse cards into the monsters’ attack modifier deck. So no single attack modifier deck can ever have more than 10 curse cards in it. When a curse card is removed from a player’s attack modifier deck, it is returned to the player curse card deck, and a curse card removed from the monster attack modifier deck is returned to the monster curse card deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.