Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Blob, Toad & Magneto Customs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread someone was looking at doing some of the Brotherhood as playable Allies:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1744330/design-challenge-ma...

He didn't seem too keen on doing Blob or Toad though as there are already versions out there. If I want a character though I usually prefer to make my own, new version, rather than use an existing custom. I like thinking about how I want them to work and I know I'll end up with something that makes sense to me. So this got me thinking about doing Blob and Toad. Here's my ideas for Blob, Toad will follow:

Blob
Brotherhood Affiliation

Common 1:
Immovable Object
Strength
Cost 3
Artifact: Once per turn, you get +1 Recruit. Once per turn, if you would gain a Wound or a Bindings, you may get +1 Recruit instead.
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/3/...

Common 2: wanted something instinct and cost 4 to work with other Brotherhood Allies and city movement to combo with the rare:
Call 'Em Out
Instinct
Cost 4
2+ Attack
You may choose an Adversary in the city to Charge one space. If you do, you get +1 Attack.
https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel//universe3zx/images/2/25/...

Uncommon:
Take a Seat
Strength
Cost 5
2 Attack
Fortify an Adversary: While this Enemy is Fortified it gets -2 Attack and you may cancel any Fight effect it has. Put this card in you discard pile when the Enemy is defeated or at the start of your next turn.
Double-Brotherhood: Fortify the Commander instead.
https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/883163.jpg

Rare:
Defensive Line
Strength
Cost 8
6 Attack
Fortify an unoccupied city space: Whenever an Adversary with less than 6 Attack moves into this space, you defeat that Adversary for free. Put this card in your discard pile before playing your hand on your next turn (after playing a card from the Adversary deck). Other players may put it in your discard pile by paying 6 Attack on their turn.
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/7/...

Clarifications:
-Once per turn abilities on artifacts, only activate on your own turn, so you can't use Immovable Object to block wounds on other players' turns
-An enemy may only be fortified by one card at a time. If 'Take a Seat' is used on the commander, it is removed as soon as the Commander has been defeated once, i.e. someone takes one of their tactics. It does not stay there until all four tactics have been defeated.

As always feedback welcome.

EDIT: Mark from UD announced that Divided cards would be making an appearance in the X-Men Big Box expansion this year, which got me thinking about a Magneto Divided card set with X-Men and Brotherhood affiliations. Here's what I came up with:

Magneto

Common 1
Peace for Mutants
X-Men; Strength
1+ Recruit
X-Men: You get +2 Recruit usable only to Recruit X-Men and Brotherhood Heroes.
http://www.comicbox.com/wp-content/gallery/jan2009-marvel-xm...
or
http://ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/XMEN259COV_col...
War on Humans
Brotherhood; Ranged
1 Attack
Brotherhood: KO a SHIELD or HYDRA card from your hand or discard pile
Cost: 2
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/14/d1/d2/14d1d27d4...

Common 2
Make a Stand
X-Men; Strength
2+ Attack
You may get +2 Attack if you draw one card fewer than normal when you draw a new hand at the end of your turn.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/19/64/76/196476605...
Make an Example
Brotherhood; Ranged
2+ Recruit
Whenever you KO a SHIELD or HYDRA card this turn, you get +1 Recruit.
Cost: 4
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7d/91/27/7d9127ad1...

Uncommon
Serve the Cause
X-Men; Ranged
2+ Attack
You get +1 Attack for each other X-Men or Brotherhood Hero you have played this turn.
https://thecomicbookrevue.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/uncann...
Serve Myself
Brotherhood; Covert
2+ Recruit
Each other player reveals a Brotherhood or X-Men Hero, or discards down to four cards. You get +1 Recruit for each player who discards.
Cost: 5
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/64/8a/41/648a41954...

Rare
Homo Superior
Brotherhood; Ranged
5+ Attack
Each player counts their X-Men and Brotherhood Heroes. The player with the most (or tied for most) KOs two SHIELD or HYDRA cards from their hand or discard pile.
Ranged: You get +1 Attack for each card KO'd this way.
Cost: 8
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/0/...

Finally got around to doing Toad...

Toad
Brotherhood Affiliation

Common 1:
Leapfrog
Covert
2+ Recruit
Soaring Flight
You may choose two adjacent Allies in the Lair and swap them.
X-Gene: Instinct: You get +2 Recruit usable only on Allies in the Sewers.

Common 2:
Bounce Back
Instinct
2 Attack
X-Gene: Brotherhood: You may put a Brotherhood Ally from your discard pile on the bottom of your deck.

Uncommon:
Hopping Mad
Instinct
2+ Attack
Look at the top two cards of your deck and put them back in any order. Then, Berserk. If you discard a 0-Cost card this way, KO it.
Cost: 6

Rare:
Revel in Filth
Instinct
4 Attack
Patrol the Sewers: If there is an Adversary there, defeat it for free. Otherwise, you may put the Ally from the Lair space underneath the Sewers on top of your deck.
Cost: 7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Blob & Toad Customs
Very very very cool fortify ability on the rare Blob!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added some image links for Blob.

There must be an image somewhere of Blob sitting on another Hero, but my Google-Fu failed me and I couldn't find one. Only one I could find was someone named Pink Pearl (who seems to be like a female Blob?). Anyone help me out?

I've not been feeling inspired re Toad, so I might wait til the new X-Men box comes up and see if it has some new keywords that will work for him.

(real shame we're not getting any Brotherhood Allies in that box)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green, I have you considered trying fostorial's LEGEDIT software? I'd love to see some of your cards in the flesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do use it, but I don't post the cards on here as the images are generally covered by copyright.

I post links so people could make their own if they like the ideas.

I haven't made Blob's up yet 'cos I still need to play test him a few times, but if there's others I've made that you'd like, PM me and I could probably send you the files.

Also, speaking of, I had trouble with importing icons for my Venom on your last 3D challenge. He's the only one I've not printed now. I tried going to teams and adding sinister six and then using an icon I found on here and it came up on the list but the icon never appeared on the card. Am I doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added a Magneto Divided card set to the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, I'm impressed by your card design. Love the divided mechanic for Magneto. Very well implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:
As always, I'm impressed by your card design. Love the divided mechanic for Magneto. Very well implemented.

Thanks, much appreciated. I'd been enjoying working with Divided on some GotG customs I've been doing recently, so when I had the thought re Magneto I had to give it a try.

The guardians ones are here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1767582/guardians-galaxy-cu...

I've made:
Rocket & Groot (because that just had to be done)
Captain Marvel (because I had too many ideas for her)
Star Lord & Kitty Pryde (because it seemed different and fun)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
I do use it, but I don't post the cards on here as the images are generally covered by copyright.

I haven't made Blob's up yet 'cos I still need to play test him a few times, but if there's others I've made that you'd like, PM me and I could probably send you the files.

Also, speaking of, I had trouble with importing icons for my Venom on your last 3D challenge. He's the only one I've not printed now. I tried going to teams and adding sinister six and then using an icon I found on here and it came up on the list but the icon never appeared on the card. Am I doing something wrong?

I was goofing up how you add team icons in Legedit until someone pointed out the correct way. My problem was that I was adding it to the icon folder, and then trying to add it in the software. What I needed to do was save the icon somewhere other than in Legedit folder on my computer, and then doing the process in Legedit. Legedit then creates a copy of the icon in its folder.

Is that helpful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

I was goofing up how you add team icons in Legedit until someone pointed out the correct way. My problem was that I was adding it to the icon folder, and then trying to add it in the software. What I needed to do was save the icon somewhere other than in Legedit folder on my computer, and then doing the process in Legedit. Legedit then creates a copy of the icon in its folder.

Is that helpful?

I'll have another go and see. I don't think I had it in the icons folder, but I did have it the folder with the other Legendary files. I'll try putting it somewhere else and see if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had the team icons in the teams folder it doesn't work, when you add the team, you have to pick the team icon from a folder other than the teams folder, it creates a copy of the icon in that folder when the process is done, if there is already an icon with the same name in that folder it tries to overwrite itself and fails, ending up creating a blank icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Your Blob seems all right to me, with the caveat that the rare card is a great idea. The one from the Blob and Toad customs thread about a year ago pleases me more, but yours is still good. The Magneto cards are fantastic, in particular since so often he seems to not know if he's the greatest of the X-Men or their greatest adversary. And sacrificing part of your hand on your next turn for power right now is a very interesting idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsallak wrote:
Your Blob seems all right to me, with the caveat that the rare card is a great idea. The one from the Blob and Toad customs thread about a year ago pleases me more, but yours is still good. The Magneto cards are fantastic, in particular since so often he seems to not know if he's the greatest of the X-Men or their greatest adversary. And sacrificing part of your hand on your next turn for power right now is a very interesting idea.

Thanks for the feedback. You inspired me to take another look at Blob's 2nd common, I was never quite happy with it, but I think I've fixed it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game against Dr Doom with Blob, Sabretooth and Magneto. Pretty happy with how the cards are working.

I was a little worried that Defensive Line might be over-powered, but I found it quite hard to deploy well in a fairly full city, so I think I'll leave it as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Defensive Line doesn't strike me as overpowered. To trigger it a bad guy has to be pushed into a city space by another bad guy, and rare is the rare card that can't beat up a non-mastermind bad guy all by itself.

The exception would be the Sewers in a standard board or the Bridge on the Villains mat, but you could easily add a line saying that the first space can't be fortified so that everything immediately gets thumped upon entering the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YBDynamo wrote:
If you had the team icons in the teams folder it doesn't work, when you add the team, you have to pick the team icon from a folder other than the teams folder, it creates a copy of the icon in that folder when the process is done, if there is already an icon with the same name in that folder it tries to overwrite itself and fails, ending up creating a blank icon.

Thanks. I figured out it wasn't this that was my problem though. It was because I put a space in the sinister six name when I created the team. I imported a Brotherhood one just fine but was still having problems with the sinister six one. Thought it might be the file, but I suddenly noticed all the other teams had underscores instead of spaces, so tried it with an underscore and voila! it finally worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Tyler
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there someone who could make the Magneto cards? I don't have any divided templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klakak wrote:
Is there someone who could make the Magneto cards? I don't have any divided templates.

Don't know if this helps, depends on what you're wanting/how you're wanting to print them etc, but what I usually do when making Divided cards is make the files the standard way and then print the two-cards reduced size next to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Tyler
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
klakak wrote:

Don't know if this helps, depends on what you're wanting/how you're wanting to print them etc, but what I usually do when making Divided cards is make the files the standard way and then print the two-cards reduced size next to each other.

That's probably a good idea, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just realised I hadn't given the Magneto rare a class, it should be ranged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally came up with some ideas for Toad (in the OP)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Those ideas for Toad are fantastic. I especially like the synergy between the first common and the rare.

I still wish you'd post your completed cards, but as I've written before, I understand your logic behind not doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Tyler
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsallak wrote:
Those ideas for Toad are fantastic. I especially like the synergy between the first common and the rare.

I still wish you'd post your completed cards, but as I've written before, I understand your logic behind not doing so.

I agree. I suck at making customs, and I don't have the time now that I'm in school full time again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I had a thought regarding Mike/Don't Feed and these customs. Mike, would you consider emailing me or Ryin custom cards, or some other way to send them without posting them on the web?

I still can't download programs from the library, and my folks' computer still blows chunks, so I don't have the option of getting a card editing program online. I imagine that there are others like Ryin who lack the time to make cards, too. There must be others who can't or won't make cards.

This would obviously be a kindness to me and anyone else who benefits from your cards, so I'll be OK if you decide against doing so, but I don't think this would inconvenience you, since these are cards you've already made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, PM me and I can email you my files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.