Star Trek: Frontiers» Forums » General

Subject: This or Mage Knight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shabazz
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, i am looking for a game to play almost exclusively solo. My local game store has both this and mage knight and i am raking my brain which one to get. Big fan of sci-fi and not really of fantasy so themewise Star Trek seems to appeal to me more. But i am worried as i've read somewhere that compared to mage knight, star trek is somewhat dumbed down, and i like complexity in my games.

Further, am i understanding correctly that there is only one solo play scenario in star trek? Anyone know how much solo play i can get from star trek and how much from mage knight?

Thanks for any insights...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TLDR: If the theme is not a total showstop for you AND you must spend your money now - get Mage Knight. Otherwise, wait for the rumored expansion for ST:F and then decide.

Long Version: I have both games and after a few rounds of ST:F i went back to MK.

Describing ST:F as dumbed down is a bit harsh, but it is easier. I miss siege attacks and the movement is generous. In MK you always ponder if its worthwhile going in a certain direction. In ST:F not so, there always seems to be enough movement points to go wherever you want.

Away missions are knew in ST:F but i did not like them as much as i thought. The variety of enemies is very limited. The equivalent MK adventure sites offer more options.

ST:F becomes very quick a beat your own score type of game. If you want to play against an (AI) opponent, the Lost Legion expansion for MK will take care of that. No options for ST:F (yet).

And ST:F is dark. Sometimes if feels like staring into a back hole. I like the vibrant colors of MK much more.

If a good expansion comes out, i will look into ST:F again. For now i gave it to a friend who wants to learn the MK system, but will not touch anything fantasy related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
MK is the superior game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
MK is the superior game.

This isn't a very useful comment. Telling us why you think so would be more useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RitterFips wrote:
TLDR: If the theme is not a total showstop for you AND you must spend your money now - get Mage Knight. Otherwise, wait for the rumored expansion for ST:F and then decide.

Long Version: I have both games and after a few rounds of ST:F i went back to MK.

Describing ST:F as dumbed down is a bit harsh, but it is easier. I miss siege attacks and the movement is generous. In MK you always ponder if its worthwhile going in a certain direction. In ST:F not so, there always seems to be enough movement points to go wherever you want.

Away missions are knew in ST:F but i did not like them as much as i thought. The variety of enemies is very limited. The equivalent MK adventure sites offer more options.

ST:F becomes very quick a beat your own score type of game. If you want to play against an (AI) opponent, the Lost Legion expansion for MK will take care of that. No options for ST:F (yet).

And ST:F is dark. Sometimes if feels like staring into a back hole. I like the vibrant colors of MK much more.

If a good expansion comes out, i will look into ST:F again. For now i gave it to a friend who wants to learn the MK system, but will not touch anything fantasy related.

I also expected more from the away missions, but they seems very easy to expand. I can think of few ways to upgrade them, there are already 2-3 variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I agree 100% with what Ronald said.

As far as the theme, I agree that ST:F looks very bland compared to MK, not just due to the dark map but to the art in general, but that was obvious already from the pictures here on bgg. On the plus side, I must say that the Star Trek theme works much better in this game than I expected. Obviously a lot of effort went into this, and I must admit that after a few turns I stopped thinking in terms of mage towers and keeps, and was immersed in the space exploration atmosphere.
Ultimately, I still slightly prefer the MK theme. It just works better for this system. Considering that I'm not much into fantasy, and I'm currently in the process of binge-watching the entire TNG series, that's telling I guess.

A big issue of course is the low difficulty level.
I think there are two major problems here:
1) Long Range attacks are overpowered with no fortifications.
2) With no day/night cycle, you can go around playing the stronger effect of Undiscovered cards all the time.
One thing I didn't understand is why planet tokens were given higher diplomacy than defense values. Defeating an enemy with diplomacy instead of attacks would be a nice change in away missions, but as things stand you can still rack up a lot of long range attack effects and never worry about the added value of diplomacy.
To be fair, playing a 5-round variant gives a challenge comparable to a MK full conquest, with a shorter playtime which is nice. I didn't try the Liberate the Reserach Stations solo variant yet, but it looks like it should be fun and engaging.

Bottom line: in multiplayer, ST:F is about as good as MK, and the theme should be the only deciding factor in that case.
For solo play, I would take Mage Knight any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.