Name Namersen
msg tools
Hi!

I´m looking for a game for a friend, and I´m hoping someone here can help me out! I have a list of suggestions further down

Complexity: She is very smart, but just a casual gamer. I think the weight of catan/dominion is high enough (around 2.4). Higher is fine as long as it´s not too hard/time consuming to learn. Easier games are also fine as long as they are fun!

Players: Preferably 2-5 players or there about.

Games I know she likes: Splendor, Catan, Dominion, Ligretto, Carcassonne, Guillotine, Machi koro, Balderdash. She also likes logic riddles.

Game suggestions in my price range:
Augustus
Sushi go! (regular or party)
Hanabi
Escape
Citadels
Bohnanza
Forbidden desert
Agricola (How complex is it?)
Codenames
7 wonders duel (con: only 2 players, regular game is to expensive)

Any of these games you would recommend or not recommend?
(Feel free to make other suggestions, but the ones I have listed are games I know are within my price range and that I can find where I live.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goeshi
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola can seem intimidating at first due to the sheer volume of pieces involved, especially to a new gamer, but it really isn't that complicated. It also presents all the information you ever need on the board in front of you, so once you understand the basic mechanics you can play with relatively few questions. I personally rate it very highly as a low/mid-weight complexity game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor B.
Hungary
Straight outta Borsod
flag msg tools
"Virtue is nothing else than right reason."
badge
Hah! Bet you didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition in this overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like she likes similar games as i do.
From your list, i love Agricola, Bohnanza, like Citadels, Codenames and 7wD.
7wD is 2p only, that could be a drawback, and Codenames also doesn't fit the 2-5 player, it is really 6+ (technically it could be played with 2, that's for sure).
Bohnanza sounds like the best option for me (or Agricola, rev. edition).
Or, maybe you can get her (and the celebrating circle of friends) an escape room game. They are really everywhere, i'm sure, you could find one in your neighbourhood. If she likes logic puzzles, lighthearted games and fun, this could be an option too.
Or For Sale. For Sale is always an option. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games on your list I think Codenames might fit (though as mentioned above it's best with 6).

Sushi Go Party could also be a good option because it implements a nice deck building aspect whereas the basic game is extremely light.

Forbidden Desert is lots of fun without being too complex or too light. And if she doesn't have any co-ops it would be something new.

I haven't played Agricola, but I've played other Rosenberg games and based on what I know of it's probably a bit heavier than what you're looking for.

Some games not on your list to consider:
Biblios - 2-4 players, card drafting, set collection, easy to learn and easy to play but engaging, easy to get and low price.

Bring Your Own Book - I'm guessing that if she likes Balderdash she likes word games, so if she also likes books then this is a great game for book lovers. It has a 2 player variant, but really is meant for 3+ and is best with lots of players. Just thought I'd throw something different in. Can be purchased on Amazon (or any game site as far as I know) and Barnes & Nobel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Electronic Laser Battle Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Kessinger
United States
Smiths Grove
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert/Island would be good, but if you think she'd like that mechanic then I would recommend Pandemic, then she can eventually move on to Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sootball wrote:

7 wonders duel (con: only 2 players, regular game is to expensive)

7 wonders duel is better than the regular game in my opinion so if she commonly plays 2 player games this is a great choice.

agricola is a heavyer game than what you want. Sure she may learn it just fine but it plays heavy and is the odd ball out in your list. I highly suggest any other game.
Augustus is bingo with more game to it. I'm not a fan but I can't give you sufficient arguments for or agents it.
Sushi go is a lighter version of normal 7 wonders. Its probibly on the lighter side of the games she likes. Party is the better version, though you might be able to get the classic for super cheep enough to be worth it as its good but party just added more.
codenames is the latest party word game, it will follow balderdash.

some others to look into:
For Sale - 3-6 players where you blind big for houses then try to make the most money off of them
Hive - 2 player only abstract. Think chess without the board and much quicker
Flip City - basically a travel version of dominion. considerably less cards so some do feel its replay-ability is low.
Wits & Wagers - the best trivia game as you don't need to actually know anything specifically.
Gloom - dark humor. If you want to try more storytelling in a game this is a great pick as you can do as much as your comfortable with, it has no real gameplay impact just the amount of fun you have with it.

and all of those fall comfortably light and you should find them for a price your happy with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Seasons or Isle of Skye if they're in your budget? Or Quadropolis? Targi though it's just a 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one to add to the mix is Medici. It's an auction game, so you're playing the other players as much or more as playing the game, so you always have to be on the lookout for what others are doing. But it's not too complex, and plays up to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belcamp
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paperback?

It's like Scrabble meets Dominion.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
And they fall in love, but Dominion's father isn't having any of that because Scrabble comes from "the wrong side of the tracks....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer

Herndon
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Code Names and Citadels typically require larger gaming groups. Sushi Go Party can be played between two people or larger groups, so might be your best choice from the list. Bohnanza and Forbidden Dessert are cute games, but might be a step down in sophistication. Escape is a ton of fun, but is only a 10-15 minute game.

Another game in your range to consider might be Kingdom Builder. It has been around for a while, very simple rules to get started, and several expansions are available.

[edit: added more thoughts]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Name Namersen
msg tools
Thank you so much everyone for great comments and suggestions! Many of the games you have suggested seem great, but I could only find them online, and I can´t risk not getting it in time, so I´m going to choose between:

- Sushi go party
- Forbidden desert
- Bohnanza

I have the impression that it´s worth buying sushi go party and not regular? (Regular sushi go is 3/5 of the price).

I have and love pandemic, and since we often play together, I wanted to get her something other than that. We haven´t played it together yet. I wouldn´t want a much lighter co-op game. Is forbidden desert challenging enough?

Not buying:
Codenames and citadels - too many people required
Agricola - looks good, but too heavy
Augustus - don´t want a bingo game
Hanabi: hasn´t been mentioned
Escape: Sounds fun, one mention, but very short game in a big package?)
7 wonders duel: Only for two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexter Chengadu
Netherlands
Hilversum
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mb
About Hanabi, we love it. I have given Hanabi to several people, and they seem to enjoy it. Its just a lot of fun, definetly something to look into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Kay C
msg tools
Our family enjoys many of the games that your friend likes.

We do love Augustus. Strategy plus a touch of bingo-like thrill. (Definitely NOT just bingo.) It has been played many, many times in our house.

Lanterns is a fun, relaxing game.

Karuba is a really enjoyable game for people who like puzzles.

Medieval Academy has provided us with lots of hours of entertainment.

Letter Tycoon is a fun word game with the added dimension of buying patents on letters so that you get paid whenever someone uses a letter that you own.

(My family tends toward light/medium games, although I can often get my middle kid (19) to play heavier games with me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sootball wrote:

- Sushi go party
- Forbidden desert
- Bohnanza

I have the impression that it´s worth buying sushi go party and not regular? (Regular sushi go is 3/5 of the price).

Sushi go party took the original and added many more cards. So it took a game that I would already recommend and added a bunch of new cards to make the replay ability get better. Added a board so players know what cards they have that game. If you could get the small version for much cheaper (like 40%) then it would be worth it. I treat mine like an expendable version I take camping.

Forbidden desert I have seen as a good coop choice. I have played forbidden island and i thought it was nice but too light, and it seems the general wisdom is that desert is deeper and better all around.

Bohnanza I've only tried to learn and play once and it was with 2 players so I havent given it a fair chance but it didn't click with me. Plenty of people out there think its a great game, I just didn't get a chance to see why. Its also the only game I've not wanted to play because of the art. I know how shallow it sounds but I'm motivated to make my own copy with new art before trying it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor B.
Hungary
Straight outta Borsod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
Bohnanza I've only tried to learn and play once and it was with 2 players so I havent given it a fair chance but it didn't click with me.

Probably 'cause it's 3-5 players. 99% of that game is trading and dealing with the others, no wonder it didn't click at 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uborka_original wrote:
mafman6 wrote:
Bohnanza I've only tried to learn and play once and it was with 2 players so I havent given it a fair chance but it didn't click with me.

Probably 'cause it's 3-5 players. 99% of that game is trading and dealing with the others, no wonder it didn't click at 2p.

yeah I don't who in the publishing company said "make it so we can say it plays with two players" but they clearly did not try the game. The recommended player count on this site has never been more right. Thats why I still have the game because I think this could be a decent game for me if I ever get around to trying it with a better player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor B.
Hungary
Straight outta Borsod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
uborka_original wrote:
mafman6 wrote:

yeah I don't who in the publishing company said "make it so we can say it plays with two players" but they clearly did not try the game. The recommended player count on this site has never been more right. Thats why I still have the game because I think this could be a decent game for me if I ever get around to trying it with a better player count.

I wasn't aware, that the US edition is 2-5. My edition (AMIGO/Piatnik version) states 3-5 on the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.