Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihai Georgescu
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm the art guy for Battle Boar Games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone! I've recently made the decision to rethink the design of our cards, and, after a few iterations, I have come to these results:

This is an example of the old version of the cards, which I considered final a month and a bit ago:

Do you think the new version is an improvement? Any feedback regarding the font choice/colours used? How do you feel legibility compares between the old and new versions?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
The new font has a cool look to it, but does decrease legibility below where I personally would be comfortable with it. I could read fine if it's in my hand/tableau, but I'm not sure I'd be able to read it well from across the table if an opponent had played it.

Removing the banner from behind the text and simplifying the background really helps the rest of the art pop. Might need a faint white outer-stroke on the text to help separate it from the art to increase legibility.

Edit: I just realized that I had them backward blush The new ones are much easier to read
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vast improvement from my perspective. I think the old thin black text is much harder to read than what you have done now. Looks much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new text seems random, as "demolishing" and "flamin'" have different font sizes.
I'd go with equal sizes on each card, which in turn could mean words fading from sight.

Maybe reword "demolishing" to something else?

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Brian. Much improved over the previous. Font is clearer, and background color doesn't hinder text colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thomas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Much easier to read both the font and the symbols/numbers below those titles. I also like the borderless look on the top ones alot better, since now a functional peice of the game is acting as the border. You do have an issue with the differing font sizes as someone else mentioned. I'd look at either resizing everything so they are uniform or shortening the longer words so they can be the same size, or possibly both.

Overall though I think the top version is a dramatic improvement over the lower version in terms of legibility and playability while still looking really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihai Georgescu
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback, folks! Much appreciated! Went back and made a few changes and came up with these:

First of all, I tried a straighter edge to the scrolls as per David's request, but wasn't too satisfied with the look. I also shrunk down the text to make everything consistent.

I went back to the curved scrolls, and gave the text a slight curve to lift it more comfortably above the scrolls.

The designer preferred the more detailed edge of the straight scrolls, so I added some damage to the curved ones and made them a little more uniform.

Personally, I think the third looks best. We still have the slight issue of one word not fitting into the first slot (funnily enough, the word is "Mischievous"), but I think that one's going to be a reword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thomas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Really like the new revision. That third one is definitely the winner of the three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihai Georgescu
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple more with the same layout. At first, I was really resistant to the idea of a fixed font, but I'm liking it more and more now.

Thanks again for everyone's helpful feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horizon Games
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
It looks really good!

Although I can see the text fine, I can anticipate the potential for issues on the brown lettering card. What would you say to using a white outline, rather than black, for that one?

I realize probably you don't want to deviate from a uniform outline color for only one kind of card, so perhaps if you used different outline colors for all of them. it might even help make the text "pop" a bit, since it is always a similar color over a similar background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihai Georgescu
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that one's been a bit of a pain. The general rule is that I want to make the colour of the text lighter and more saturated than the art (which is more realistic for some cards than others ), but obviously didn't stick to that rule well enough for Boulder.

I do want to stick with uniform outlines, though, so I'll brighten it up and make it a little more saturated. Thanks for bringing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan and Evan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I definitely prefer the new versions over the old one. Much easier to read and I dig the new font choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shoemaker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
I feel like the background shouldn't be the same color as the font. It's a little distracting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihai Georgescu
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you referring to the Boulder card specifically, or the general theme of having the font a lighter colour than the main artwork of the spell? Boulder is getting changed to something brighter and more noticeable.

Additionally, I'm also realigning the B-side symbols to be more in tune with the A and C sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Baxter-Webb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Allbrotnar wrote:
Yeah, that one's been a bit of a pain. The general rule is that I want to make the colour of the text lighter and more saturated than the art (which is more realistic for some cards than others ), but obviously didn't stick to that rule well enough for Boulder.

I do want to stick with uniform outlines, though, so I'll brighten it up and make it a little more saturated. Thanks for bringing that up!

I know boulders aren't green but green is generally accepted as "Earth", so you could have the boulder card text in green and I'm sure people would "get it" (unless you're using green for something else)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihai Georgescu
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there are a few other green cards. I've changed it to this now, I think that works better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.