Subject: Timing of death, Phoenix pet and Battering up! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaganishu Khan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi everyone,

Got 5/6 through Inferno campaign, using both Whole Lotta Lava scenarios.

Couple of issues came up:

1. Phoenix pet and one of the pets owners heroes is killed by Diana's or Thrandirs multi-target attacks. They both take enough damage to kill them at the same time. Does the resurrection of the pet happen, and puts the hero back to life, given the ruling that you dont immediately get removed from the board when you take enough wounds, but that any "on death" effects are resolved first? Or can the Phoenix not do his "I kill myself" move because he is, technically, dead-in-waiting?

2. Again the Phoenix pet: Does Wanda (hero) get an out-of-turn activation upon being resurrected by the Phoenix pet during an opponents turn? Does this happen as an interrupt (for ex., before the killer may use his movement) upon resurrection?

3. Battering Up! seems INSANELY broken overpowered when used with a hero who can refresh, or never has to, an attack card with sufficient dice+rerolls. You basically get 2 activations most of your turns, as long as one of them is your crit-monster. Also, when you get 2 of these abilities, can you chain them, along with a potion?
We had Mark + Fancy Blade + Battering Up!, he hits something, scores an easy crit. Especially with an extra-action potion on that hero, you suddenly get 2 more activations in a turn. Is there a limit or problem with this I didnt find?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any special insight into any of these questions but here is my best response to these:

1) Dawn and the other target are killed at the same time as two targets of one attack. So Dawn can't sacrifice herself before she dies as there are no legal targets beforehand (no one on your team is dead yet). And she can't do it afterwards because, well, she's dead. In this case I'd say you need to bring Dawn and your other hero back through the normal guild-rest-action process. Even if that is not the case the rules do say this about special effects: (pg. 18) If two effects would happen simultaneously the player whose turn it is decides the other in which they are executed. So unless your opponent wanted you to be able to resurrect immediately for some reason they would choose to kill Dawn first of the two in any case.

2) On my Wanda card it says that whenever she Resurrects she gets an extra activation at the end of the current turn. So I'd imagine that the order would be:
- Dawn uses power to resurrect Wanda
- Opponent continues with their turn
- At the end of your opponents turn you activate Wanda
- The next player now starts their turn

3) In the Hero activation section (pg 14 of my rulebook) it states Note: If an ability allows a player to activate an extra Hero during his turn, it must be used on a Hero that has not yet been activated this turn. I suppose someone with an extra activation potion and batter up could attack, attack again and trigger two batter ups which would allow the other two Heroes in his guild to each activate. Outside of the extra activation potion though I don't think an individual Hero can activate more than once on a guild's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
Even if that is not the case the rules do say this about special effects: (pg. 18) If two effects would happen simultaneously the player whose turn it is decides the other in which they are executed. So unless your opponent wanted you to be able to resurrect immediately for some reason they would choose to kill Dawn first of the two in any case.

This rule is regarding effects like for example you have one effect that lets you heal a wound for every hit and you have another effect that lets you gain an additional hit for a crit, then you can take the latter effect first if you had a crit so that you heal an additional wound.

I'm not sure an attacker has a choice of death timing in a multiple attack. One attack is made that affects all targets simultaneously - all defenders then defend themselves simultaneously and I would argue also die simultaneously. If a pet dies simultaneously with it's Owner then the Owner can't save their own life by using the pets ability at the same instant while the pet is also about to die (Dawn or Bones for example) - would love to get official clarification on this though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.