Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If my character retires and I start a new one, the rulebook reads: A player can start a character at any level equal to or lower than the prosperity level of the city.

Now if I get a totally new character from a personal quest, I have no idea whats his or her strengths and weaknesses are, nor do I know what level 2,3,4 cards would fit my playstyle of this character class.

My qestion is: can I start the newly achieved class with level one, play 2 or 3 scenarios and then decide to level him to the actual prosperity level of let's say 4 and give him 3 level ups?

Or do I have to decide his starting level when I create the character and then I have to level him up normally through getting exp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Warner
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule you quoted clearly states that you can start at a level lower than the prosperity of the city. The corresponding rule is that any character may level up to the prosperity of Gloomhaven any time they are in the city. So yes, you are clearly OK to start at level 1, play them a few times, and then take your free levels later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
You may, at any time you are in the city, level up to match the current prosperity level
You do not get the free gold however
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beestick wrote:
You may, at any time you are in the city, level up to match the current prosperity level
You do not get the free gold however

ok this is sad :/

so if I'd like to have the money, I must take any ability cards :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bendik Vedeler
Norway
Høvik
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rulebook specifically mentions that you can level up existing characters to Gloomhavens propserity-level at any time while in Gloomhaven, so definitely fine to take him for a "test-run" first.
Bear in mind, though, that any XP you gain before you level him up to Gloomhavens prosperity-level will be lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neophyte wrote:
The rulebook specifically mentions that you can level up existing characters to Gloomhavens propserity-level at any time while in Gloomhaven, so definitely fine to take him for a "test-run" first.
Bear in mind, though, that any XP you gain before you level him up to Gloomhavens prosperity-level w
ill be lost.

yes I know, ty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Scholz
Germany
Gütersloh
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also just play a random dungeon with the new class to get a feel for it and then create the leveled-up character that you plan to play from there on out. Or you could just create one, level him/her up and continue your campaign. If you feel like you picked the "wrong" cards after one or two scenarios you could ditch the char and create a new one.

Either way you would loose some progress but if its just one or two scenarios I'd guess thats not too bad.

Personally I started my new class at level 2 right away and it worked out okay. (Didn't spend any of my gold until the second scenario though). If its level 4, 5 or even higher however I guess I would go with the random dungeon approach.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Or.... you could create your character at level 4 and give yourself one house-ruled mulligan if you think you screwed up royally after your first scenario played. Careful though, the board game police might catch you. We never had this conversation...)

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.