The Giant Inconvenience of Planet X
msg tools
We have been playing 4 players (wife and the kids and I) and we seem to always have no monsters to fight....

They only spawn from a card effect or when the location comes into play right?

They do not spawn monsters form the location number at the end of ever location phase ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
Each quest has its own rules for spawning, and the Peril track often will bring in more enemies too. Which quest are you doing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
we were playing the 1st one...

So to be clear.. unless there is a card effect no new monsters enter play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
That is my understanding, yes. Did you spawn monsters at the start of the quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
yeah.. but only from the location card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bethany
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters are spawned from the location card at the beginning. Make sure you were spawning both known enemies and enemies in the shadows, per the location card.

Whenever you reveal a new location, you immediately spawn the monsters indicated on that card. If you forget about moving the peril forward, then it's possible for you to kill everything then take several turns healing up before moving on. Otherwise, you should always be moving forward to a new location and spawning new monsters each time. That is in addition to whatever the peril effect for your current peril level is, which will often spawn some additional monsters.

To me, it sounds like you're either always rolling amazingly well so that you're clearing the board of monsters quickly, you're forgetting to exhaust the attack actions so you're getting to attack more than you should and therefore clearing the board more quickly, or you're forgetting to adjust the peril track after each round so that you're having way too much time to clear the board of monsters.

Edit: Also remember that when you travel you bring any monsters that are engaged with you along to the new location. These will be present in addition to any new monsters spawned by the new location. Monsters in the shadows are usually discarded when you travel (although some game effects keep them around even when you travel).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
nup.. doing all that correctly it seams.. but I think I have worked it out.. the rules are badly worded...

It says you can spend "any number of success tokens" then in the next bullet point "each action can have a maximum of two"...

It is clear now I know what it means, but a quick search of the rules section found 8 different threads on this.

We were overpowering the spells, which is why it seamed so easy.

EDIT - If a hero ever dose anything to a monster in the shadows it flips up right? Like say wayfarer exhaust something in the shadows.. that also flps it face up.. same as attacking would?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GasPumpGirl wrote:
EDIT - If a hero ever dose anything to a monster in the shadows it flips up right? Like say wayfarer exhaust something in the shadows.. that also flps it face up.. same as attacking would?

No. A face-down enemy is flipped face-up when one of the following three things happens:

- The enemy is dealt wounds

- The enemy is activated

- The enemy is engaged.

Exhausting an enemy (which, to be fair, is just about the only other thing you can do to an enemy in the shadows, except for discarding it) will NOT cause the enemy to be turned face up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.