Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Soanka
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

I've been trying to find any information if this game is co op or not (or has an official co op variant). The KS page/videos did not specify. I know this game is under the "Cooperative" mechanic here on BGG, but can anyone (especially the game designers) clarify this?

I've been watching out for this game for over a year now in the hopes it would be cooperative (not semi cooperative, but purely cooperative aka All Players vs The Game).

I was hoping the virus expansion would be the official cooperative variant, but I don't have enough information about this game to tell. Can someone give me a full run down on what I am asking for?

Thank you very much.

Edit: I've been trying to find a really fun medical/science cooperative game to play with my Mother (she's a nurse, with extensive knowledge in microbiology and thought she would totally dig this game) and hoping this is it. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From watching the video clip on the kickstarter page, I'm starting to wonder if the geek entry is incorrect, as one feature of the game mentioned by the designer is the 'contest' for the goal cards. Plus it is listed on kickstarter page as 2-5 and not 1-5 as listed in the geek entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Soanka
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I did not get anything if it was pure co op from the video nor its description here on BGG. I'd be pretty bummed if it was not, but at least then I'd know and can move on to finding something else for my Mother.

Thematically, why would the cells in my own body compete with one another? I just presumed it was inherently pure co op.

As it stands, there are not many worker placement games offering a purely co operative gaming experience, let alone one dealing with biology like this one.

Hopefully a designer can shed some light on this before I commit to pledging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coveyou
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in my response.

The core game is NOT cooperative, rather it's competitive and we have a cooperative game play variant. However, the cooperative variant won't be ready to publish during this Kickstarter. We updated the BGG page many weeks ago and the changes still have not come through. I am sorry about that, but there isn't much it seems I can do but wait for the BBG page to update. So sorry about the confusion and sorry to disappoint you. :-(

Thematically, the cells are not competing with each other, rather each player is competing within the same cell to build enzymes, hormones and receptors and detoxify the cell, or fend off the viruses.

If you are looking for a very enjoyable cooperative experience with a science theme, check out Covalence: A Molecules Building Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
…and a link for us lazy folk: Covalence: A Molecule Building Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnCoveyou wrote:
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in my response.

The core game is NOT cooperative, rather it's competitive and we have a cooperative game play variant. However, the cooperative variant won't be ready to publish during this Kickstarter. We updated the BGG page many weeks ago and the changes still have not come through. I am sorry about that, but there isn't much it seems I can do but wait for the BBG page to update. So sorry about the confusion and sorry to disappoint you. :-(

Thematically, the cells are not competing with each other, rather each player is competing within the same cell to build enzymes, hormones and receptors and detoxify the cell, or fend off the viruses.

If you are looking for a very enjoyable cooperative experience with a science theme, check out Covalence: A Molecules Building Game.

Thanks John for the clarification, so will the co-operative variant be released as an expansion on Kickstarter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Soanka
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the information. I checked out Covalence and unless I am mistaken, it is a "1 vs many" game so I'll still keep that game in mind for the future.

As for Cytosis and it's pure cooperative variant, I will await the next KS release to acquire the game and cannot wait to see what is in store for that. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coveyou
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick, sadly no. It unfortunately will take a lot more time to iron out all the details.

Ethan, Covalence is purely cooperative. All players are working together, and not competing with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnCoveyou wrote:
Nick, sadly no. It unfortunately will take a lot more time to iron out all the details.

Ethan, Covalence is purely cooperative. All players are working together, and not competing with each other.

Thanks again for the prompt clarification, I'm aware it won't make it for the current Kickstarter, but it will be released sometime?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Trezise
Australia
Gordon
ACT
flag msg tools
WhiteTiger78 wrote:
Thank you for the information. I checked out Covalence and unless I am mistaken, it is a "1 vs many" game so I'll still keep that game in mind for the future.

As for Cytosis and it's pure cooperative variant, I will await the next KS release to acquire the game and cannot wait to see what is in store for that. cool

From what I remember, Covalence is a fully co-operative game.

I've only read the rulebook (I own the game but haven't had time to play it yet), but it sounds similar to Mysterium - an asymmetrical co-operative game where one player has to indicate secret information to the other players in order to guide them towards the group goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.