Subject: First Solo Quest: 187 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Got my first Solo quest under my belt and scored 187. Is that good for a first time? I'm pretty sure I got all the rules right. (Said no one playing MK ever) lol

I do have a question. Do ranged and siege attacks fall into the category for physical resistance? They aren't elemental attacks, so I assume the get cut in half by physical resistance.

Would someone explain which cards (Action, AA, Spells, Units) can't be used against enemies with resistances. I think I played it right, but would like more examples than the rules provide. This includes spells, right?

Wow, this is a great solo game experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First Solo Quest: 183
Relampagos wrote:

I do have a question. Do ranged and siege attacks fall into the category for physical resistance? They aren't elemental attacks, so I assume the get cut in half by physical resistance.

Yes, this is correct. This is why you'll sometimes see the more powerful siege ice/fire attack. If they don't have an element, then they are physical, regardless of the siege/ranged/normal attack mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Thomas
United States
Pella
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
183 is a great score for your first solo play. A few more plays and you'll figure out what rules you were getting wrong that allowed you to score that high... A few more and you'll regularly be back around 200 for a solo game. I think a score over 210 means you a) made some really good decisions, and b) had good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hover Harder
badge
You hoverin'?
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
[q="Relampagos"]
Would someone explain which cards (Action, AA, Spells, Units) can't be used against enemies with resistances. I think I played it right, but would like more examples than the rules provide. This includes spells, right?

Red Spells and AA effects that do not just modify your block or attack values do not affect units with fire resistance (or cold fire resistance). Similarly, blue spells and AA effects that do not just modify your block or attack values do not affect units with ice resistance (or cold fire resistance). If the spell or AA has an effect that modifies your block/attack value and also affects the enemy, then the enemy is not affected by the effect if they have the corresponding resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hitaltkey wrote:
183 is a great score for your first solo play. A few more plays and you'll figure out what rules you were getting wrong that allowed you to score that high... A few more and you'll regularly be back around 200 for a solo game. I think a score over 210 means you a) made some really good decisions, and b) had good luck.

Loled, that was my first reaction as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
hitaltkey wrote:
183 is a great score for your first solo play. A few more plays and you'll figure out what rules you were getting wrong that allowed you to score that high...

Ha! I figure this might be the case. I've read the walk-through 5 times, the rules twice, and am pretty sure I didn't make any gross mistakes. I'm sure there were little things here and there. The FAQ has a list of commonly made mistakes and I think that helped me stay on track. I think the map just laid out really nicely for me so that my path had just enough to conquer and decent terrain.

Thanks Bob, that's how I thought it worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacks (and blocks) can be physical, fire, ice, or cold fire.

Attacks can also be siege, ranged, or melee (the rulebook doesn't use this word, but I do, to indicate non-ranged, non-siege attacks.)

The two categories don't affect each other. So any attack, unless it says siege or ranged, is melee. Any attack or block, unless it says ice, fire, or cold fire, is physical.

Fortification on an enemy token affects whether ranged/siege attacks can be used in the ranged/siege phase, but it has no bearing on whether attacks are efficient. Likewise, resistance will make some attacks inefficient, but it has no other effect on the ranged/siege phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
After a few more quests I can say that 183 wasn't a valid score. I'm actually pretty sure that I played the rules right, but I think I somehow added up the score incorrectly, or skipped over a line when counting.

My next games...

Tovak: Fail with 115 points
Norowas: Fail with 125 points
Goldyx: Win with 135 points
Goldyx: Win with 165 points

That last game felt really great. I was rolling and really accumulated a lot of power. It felt like a really strong game, and I only scored 165. I killed more enemies than any of the other games. So, I'm sure the first score was a mistake.

I was also surprised how terrible my games went with different knights. Both of those scenarios just felt awful. Nothing was going right. I had all the wrong cards at the wrong times. I was always 1 something away from success. I didn't expect there to be that much difference between the knights, but I think they really play differently. It's almost a subtle thing that I can't really see, but I feel it as I'm playing. Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Soderhus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great play then. Keep it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relampagos wrote:
I was also surprised how terrible my games went with different knights. Both of those scenarios just felt awful. Nothing was going right. I had all the wrong cards at the wrong times. I was always 1 something away from success. I didn't expect there to be that much difference between the knights, but I think they really play differently. It's almost a subtle thing that I can't really see, but I feel it as I'm playing. Cool.
I think my favorite from the base game is Goldyx, which you seem to have had good success with. He's the most flexible regarding mana use, so you can almost always achieve your goals in a given turn.

The only hero I actually dislike from the base game is Norowas. Basically, he requires good allies to work which cannot always be accomplished.
I was quite happy to 'replace' him with Wolfhawk from the first expansion. Wolfhawk is most notable for her mobility, I think.

I also like Krang (the standalone expansion hero) who has some really powerful abilities.

I haven't played with Braevalar, yet (from the latest expansion), but from what I've read here, he seems to be one of the less powerful heroes due to too situational abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Relampagos wrote:

My next games...

Tovak: Fail with 115 points
Norowas: Fail with 125 points
Goldyx: Win with 135 points
Goldyx: Win with 165 points

Well... now I feel dumber and smarter than I thought. I did score the first game of 187 correctly. Then On these next games I looked at where the shield was and took that number plus 100. I somehow completely spaced the fact that lapping the score board was 120 and not 100. So, I feel like an idiot. However, that means my scores are as follows...

Tovak: Fail with 135 points
Norowas: Fail with 145 points
Goldyx: Win with 155 points
Goldyx: Win with 185 points
Then...
Goldyx: Win with 209 points
Norowas: Win with 203 points

Glad to break 200 a couple times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley B
msg tools
mb
Welp, I scored 45 on my first solo conquest. I must be doing something very wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AshleyTheNeko wrote:
Welp, I scored 45 on my first solo conquest. I must be doing something very wrong.

um... is that a winning score? or did you fail to conquer the cities and still tallied your score?

I just don't understand how you could beat the 2 cities and still have that low a score (tons of wounds, used up all artifacts, wounded several level 4 units?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akiva
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I always say, if you're not taking wounds, you aren't playing the game, the game is playing you. Take the wounds. Get into every battle you can and take the hit. Mage Knight is essentially a call-and-response game. You're SUPPOSED to get hurt. A lot. And then find ways of healing yourself. You don't want to get knocked out but if you find yourself weighing battles on the idea that you won't take any wounds, you'll always score low. The game is predicated on you taking wound cards which is why there are so many. Even for solo.

Get in there. Explore everything. Battle everything. Take the hits, get healed, take more. You're a Mage Knight; a bad ass beyond bad asses. Get some dust up on ya, mate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley B
msg tools
mb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
AshleyTheNeko wrote:

um... is that a winning score? or did you fail to conquer the cities and still tallied your score?

I just don't understand how you could beat the 2 cities and still have that low a score (tons of wounds, used up all artifacts, wounded several level 4 units?)

No, I didn't win. I barely dented the first city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Jansson
msg tools
187 sounds sick! I just finished my very first none-intro-game-third-game-in-total-solo-conquest and got 135, on a win. I felt like I played my hands right, got a lot of stuff done.I had... 85ish fame "unmodified". I did get some rules wrong when I assulted the first city, not in my favor I certainly want to play more, what a fantastic game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.