Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
My Wife and I played our first game last night and we both enjoyed the experience.

Only one "heart card" came out (Weightlifting) and I was lucky to grab it and complete it.

My wife only made it to through 1 stage of old age, then died
I lived into the 2nd stage, but only had enough time to keep my job and my family relationship.

Is that typical game length? Meaning, it appears that if you never get any "heart cards", your game WILL end after the first old age round.

Getting one additional heart may allow you to achieve one extra round in old age (if you managed your stress properly).

It seems very rare to be able to survive into third stage of old age...I am assuming having to get some heart cards early AND DURING old age completed to push forward.

Am I seeing this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slyzx1 wrote:
Is that typical game length? Meaning, it appears that if you never get any "heart cards", your game WILL end after the first old age round.

Am I seeing this right?
Yes, that is correct. If you do not complete any Good Health projects, you will die at the beginning of the second round of Old Age.

Life goes by so fast, and is over so quickly; you need to savor every moment and make the most of the time that you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Neuville

Wisconsin
msg tools
mb
It is difficult to live to the 2nd and 3rd stage. Can be hard to do much in those final stages too. Those heart cards often don't give you much besides the heart so while it seems like a huge advantage living longer I'm not sure it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Mendes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only managed to survive past old age 3 once, and the point difference wasn't that great. As
Brad Neuville

Wisconsin
msg tools
mb
mentioned, the projects that give you hearts don't give a lot back, and they usually require time dedication. So, by getting hearts you survive longer and is able to do more, in exchange for getting less in younger ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LGMHorus wrote:
the projects that give you hearts don't give a lot back, and they usually require time dedication. So, by getting hearts you survive longer and is able to do more, in exchange for getting less in younger ages.
There was a good deal of discussion on this when the 2nd edition was delivered, and the general consensus was that GH projects are only worth the time investment if you can complete them in the first two rounds of adulthood. The +1 hourglass each round, plus the extra round (in which you'll only get a few HGs anyway) need to make up for the, usually, 6 or so HGs that you have to pay into the project. You'll usually get a small amount of LTH out of the project as well, but not nearly as much as you would from other projects.

This is actually pretty accurate to real life, if you compare the "I'm going to eat uber-healthy and exercise every day in order to live an extra 10 years" school of thought with the "I'd rather life a shorter life in which I indulge and fully enjoy myself" school of thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.