10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Number of hexes moved rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
There are abilities and items that have an effect, which depends on the number of hexes that the character has moved on his turn.

Lets say I play a Move 4 action and then move one hex to the right, back to my original position, again one hex to the right and back to my original position. Would that count as:
a) I moved 4 hexes, because I changed the hex 4 times or
b) I moved 2 hexes because I entered 2 different hexes twice each or
c) I moved 0 hexes, because I am still standing at my starting position?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danom wrote:
There are abilities and items that have an effect, which depends on the number of hexes that the character has moved on his turn.

Lets say I play a Move 4 action and then move one hex to the right, back to my original position, again one hex to the right and back to my original position. Would that count as:
a) I moved 4 hexes, because I changed the hex 4 times or
b) I moved 2 hexes because I entered 2 different hexes twice each or
c) I moved 0 hexes, because I am still standing at my starting position?

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hennigar
msg tools
I read a reply that referenced Isaac himself stating that you can move back and forth and it all counts as movement. The only limitation being obstacles. Wish I could remember where I read that so I could direct you!

Personally, I don't like that interpretation. We've been counting hexes from your original hex at the end of the movement to determine that the total movement distance is. So if I move 3 hexes forward and then 2 hexes back, the total movement is 1 hex. Maybe we are being too strict with ourselves, but it seems silly to go back and forth back and forth back and forth between two hexes, and call it six hexes of movement.

I'd be curious to hear other thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you could look at it as if the character is winding up and gaining momentum to maximize their attack or whatever.

I think the main restriction I would stick to is if it says to move x spaces in a straight line or move into x different hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My view on this is if I get some benefit for moving a certain number of hexes (such as there is an item that you benefit if you did a move of at least 3 hexes before an attack) then if I had the *ability* to move the 3 hexes, that is all that is required. It means you had the time, energy, space, etc during the turn to accomplish the required move.

Now, if it specifies that you have to move those hexes in a certain pattern (such as a straight line) then you have to satisfy that exact condition. In real life terms, if the "charge" has to be in a straight line to benefit from building up momentum, etc then yes it has to be hexes in a straight line.

This interpretation works for me. I think it is also consistent with what Isaac has said. And since I play solo, there is nobody to argue with me about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Glasser
United States
California
flag msg tools
Do note that when moving through difficult terrain, you only get to count one hex for the two move points used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks to everyone for your quick replies!

nadurgin wrote:
My view on this is if I get some benefit for moving a certain number of hexes (such as there is an item that you benefit if you did a move of at least 3 hexes before an attack) then if I had the *ability* to move the 3 hexes, that is all that is required. It means you had the time, energy, space, etc during the turn to accomplish the required move.

Just one thought about that: In your example where you need to move 3 hexes and play a move 3 card, technically you could not just stand there and skip the card to get the benefit, since you could not move 3 spaces and end in the same space you started. You would have to move atleast one step then. Also of course, it is not always possible to move at all, because sometimes all directions are blocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danom wrote:

nadurgin wrote:

Just one thought about that: In your example where you need to move 3 hexes and play a move 3 card, technically you could not just stand there and skip the card to get the benefit, since you could not move 3 spaces and end in the same space you started. You would have to move atleast one step then. Also of course, it is not always possible to move at all, because sometimes all directions are blocked.

Moving 3 space and ending where you started is totally possible. It just requires two unoccupied hexes (or hexes occupied by allies) that are adjacent to the origin and adjacent to each other to accomplish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
beelzeben wrote:
danom wrote:

nadurgin wrote:

Moving 3 space and ending where you started is totally possible. It just requires two unoccupied hexes (or hexes occupied by allies) that are adjacent to the origin and adjacent to each other to accomplish.
Oh you are right blush But atleast they need to be free or filled with allies ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Badblade wrote:
I read a reply that referenced Isaac himself stating that you can move back and forth and it all counts as movement. The only limitation being obstacles. Wish I could remember where I read that so I could direct you!

Personally, I don't like that interpretation. We've been counting hexes from your original hex at the end of the movement to determine that the total movement distance is. So if I move 3 hexes forward and then 2 hexes back, the total movement is 1 hex. Maybe we are being too strict with ourselves, but it seems silly to go back and forth back and forth back and forth between two hexes, and call it six hexes of movement.

I'd be curious to hear other thoughts.

I can't find an actual post by Isaac, but he gave a thumbs up to this post: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25247752#25247752

Until Isaac contradicts it, as far as I'm aware you can move right/left/right/left and use that as a 4-hex count for whatever your card needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.