13 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: [poll] How long do your 5-6 player base games take? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: How long do your 5-6 player base games take?
Our games of BSG are usually base plus maybe extra skill cards from expansions, no symp variant. We start at 2pm, Sleeper Phase hits around 5-6pm, we take a break to go downstairs to my local bar for a drink and accusations for about an hour, then return and finish by about 10-11pm. Total play time is roughly 5-7 hours. There's loads of tabletalk about strategy and 'You're a Cylon!', 'That's what a Cylon would say!' etc. I gather we're on the slow side, bit I wondered what a bigger data pool would show.
How long, excluding setup and any explanation for noobs, do your base games of BSG With 5 or 6 players take?
Less than 1 hour
1-2 hours
2-3 hours
3-4 hours
4-5 hours
5-6 hours
6-7 hours
Over 7 hours
      61 answers
Poll created by Ecosmith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends mostly on how long ago it's been since we played and how fresh the rules are in everyone's minds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not vote in the poll, as we do not play the base game. But for reference, I would say that our games (typically, all expansions and modules, to one of Kobol, Ionian Nebula, or Earth) usually fall into the 3-4 hour time slot. If we have 7 players, or we're going to Earth, it might end up more like 4-5 hours. I would say we do plenty of strategizing, table talk, and accusations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're definitely a 4-hour group, I erred on the side of 4-5 hours as we tend to spend quite a long time talking and accusing for skill checks.
I can't even fathom how a game happens in under 2 hours. We're only just hitting Sleeper phase then, and that's where the game slows down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does accusing people slow down the game?

Slowing down the game slows down the game. Getting a string of 1-distance destinations slow down the game. Not getting jump symbols slows down the game. But why does accusing people to be cylons slow down the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Why does accusing people slow down the game?

Slowing down the game slows down the game. Getting a string of 1-distance destinations slow down the game. Not getting jump symbols slows down the game. But why does accusing people to be cylons slow down the game?

Well a dude in another thread said his group's games take 2 hours tops, including 15 mins for rules explanations. He said turns should take 2-3 mins each, which strikes me as not leaving much room for accusations and suchlike.

Mayhe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
Accusations lead to table talk, and increases time it takes to decide/finish a turn, which isn't a bad thing. It's certainly okay for turns to take longer because of this.

But accusations and the resulting table talk is overkill if it happens during each and every turn. The board game itself is trying to kill you; pay attention to what the game is doing and think how a player may have an advantage if he was Cylon.

The most important part is to have someone dedicated to pushing the game forward: "Pass or play into check, Apollo?" "Ok, Apollo passed. Roslin?"

I can certainly keep in mind that Apollo may be a Cylon for passing, but it's not worth discussing ad nauseaum and not expediting game turns.

Just keep the game moving forward. If an offbeat color shows up in the skill check: narrow the suspects publicly (to let those under suspicion know they have to be much more careful in future spikes) and keep moving the game forward.

There is surely an amount of fun to be had accusing one another back and forth, but it doesn't move the game forward. Instead, it's just a natural human tactic to force other humans to provide behavioral feedback.

Just my opinion, but, it's appropriate in a bluffing game, but not here since all it does is waste game time. (Granted, if players are trying to get players to turn beat red to ascertain their loyalty, they're clearly having fun with good company... but I find that the game is better if you digest actual game information when making those decisions).

So, keep the focus on the game, and keep moving it forward. Its a phenomenal board game, and most of its mechanics create the fun. It surely had a social component, but yelling at people that they're Cylon almost NEVER moves the game forward. It usually just stalls it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
not leaving much room for accusations and suchlike.

I'm really interested what do you do when you accuse someone of a cylon? Why does it slow down the game?

Do you take the accused cylon by their hands and physically prevent them for taking their turn, or play into a skill check? Do you gag them to not be able to contribute, and then wrestle until they can remove the gag so that the game can continue?

It takes 2 seconds to say "she/he's a cylon". It takes 2 seconds to say "look at that, he's obviously a cylon". And you can say that while the game is going on.

It takes maybe 10 seconds to remind other people of the evidence you have for and against a certain player being a cylon. So, do you give that evidence constantly, or do you remind people when it matters? And it still doesn't slow down the game, because people are able to play into skill checks while listening.

Do you take a power-point or video recap of every suspicion after every player's turn?

There is no game-mechanical reason that accusations slow down the game. So, I'm really interested in why accusing and table-talk would necessarily and unavoidably lead to longer games. (Not to mention accusing people is sometimes a bad strategy.)

You obviously play at the pace your group is fine with, but I can't imagine why accusing people adds time. Having analysis paralysis in playing into and processing skill checks yes, but not table talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Dektyarev
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even simple card analysis right after skillcheck: we have 5 positive and 3 negative cards, and also a Bait, but one of negatives is red and we have already seen 2 red negatives; but Kat played 2 cards here and she doesn't have negatives beside red; but she could play high negative and low positive; also, Chief have played 2 cards, and has only one positive, but he will have to discard for hand limit and had treachery; ... - just simple enumeration of opportunities can easily take several minutes. Unless you either:
-all have extremely powerful calculation abilities, so you can be sure to get the same conclusions in few seconds, and don't need to even verbalize them, or
-just go with this cases blindly and don't discuss such information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mihaild wrote:
Even simple card analysis right after skillcheck

Yes. Usually it's simple to note more than two negatives on the check and see if any of them are 0, and thus potentially there for a reason.

But that has nothing to do with accusing people. It's part of regular gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Dektyarev
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After you notice there was spike not from destiny, you can start trying to deduce who can be responsible for it.
Do you include it in "accusing people"? (I do)
Can such attempts take significant amount of time in my games? (they can in my)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've an occasion where I was a cylon and I had the opportunity to look at another player's card, saw he was a cylon, so said he was human, then later had the opportinuty to look at another player's card. He was human, I accused him, upon which the three of us knew who was who but nobody else did. There was then a 5-minute long debate among all poayers on who thought who was a Cylon. It was AWESOME, and I consider it absolutely part of the game, but whilst it was going on, nothing else mechanically was happening lol.

The damn meatbag humans brigged me and won the game some time later, but that part where my friend was the only human who knew definitely the cykon identities but had no way to prove it was the best bit of the gsme for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal
Germany
Frankenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it last week with six people and 3 of them didnt know the mechanics or the game at all. It took us like 20-30 minutes to give them an in depth overview of the rules.
Once we started there were almost no questions left and we finished after 5 hours and 15-30 minutes. The point we spend the most time on was like you would guess figuring out who the traitors were and discussing one specific turn for almost the 3 following hours.
It was such a blast, really enjoyed the game and the time went by so fast that it didn´t feel like the 6 hours at all. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.