Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
Lover and creator of immersive games, join the adventure!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I recently wrote a post about making a game over the last 2 years and wanted to share it with you. I hope this will help some of you who are in the early days of a project to see some of the iterations I have been through.

I've copied the article below.

The article

Making a game is hard work, it’s like a roller coaster of emotions and sometimes you are going to want to give up. Yet other times you are going to have highs, like when you see the first group of players laughing and having fun all because of something you made.

The last 2 years of my life have been incredible and I wanted to share some of my progress, and to remind you that all that work will be worth it.

For me it all started on an aeroplane, a single moment in time where I decided the thoughts in my head would be better on paper. I started writing notes and then purchased some basic supplies as soon as I got home.

After playing the game many times with Sara (my partner) I took the plunge and asked others to try the game. The first group played in August 2015 and since then there have been countless people playing the game, the final photo is from last weekend (March 2017).

There have been countless iterations but it all started with my simple drawings (I’m still proud of my horse) and slowly became something beautiful.

Words became art and dreams became a reality.

The important thing to remember when you’re struggling is iteration is normal, you’ll rip things up and try over and over, these are just some of the countless variations of character sheets I created.

This all started with a man and a woman sitting on a bed, in a room in a shared house, playing with pieces of paper. We had little space but we found a way to make it happen.

Over the last 2 years we’ve both changed jobs, moved to our own place and never lost sight of the goal, even when things got tough. There were times we couldn’t focus as much as we would like but over time we got there.

Now the game is finished and both Sara and I are amazed by where we are, yet there is still more to do.

The next steps will be to take this prototype and get it manufactured into a game that everyone can play.

Wherever you are with your project, whatever you want to achieve, never give up, always keep the goal in mind and one day your dreams will become reality too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see the whole thing come together. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! The final product looks great.

My game took about 2 years of designing as well; including 2 major redesigns and countless smaller changes. A few things actually carried through from my original design to the final product, but most of it changed (including things that were hard to let go).

Thanks for the post.

Dean
B-17 Flying Fortress Leader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrumpyOldGamer wrote:
My game took about 2 years of designing as well; including 2 major redesigns and countless smaller changes. A few things actually carried through from my original design to the final product, but most of it changed (including things that were hard to let go).

Thank you.

When looking back over my notes I can see a good 80% if not more of it is still in the game in some form. Some of those things have new names or work differently to what I originally planned but it is certainly interesting to see the evolution of an idea over a long period of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed! This is a beautiful piece of art. And that player board... holy cows!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great... and hard. You must have had a very clear vision of the game from the beginning.

Feedback from the publisher for my first version was "Having a hard time finding the fun in the game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corneliusdamey wrote:
Agreed! This is a beautiful piece of art. And that player board... holy cows!

Thank you!

It's taken a lot of work to get the character sheet to a place where it looks good, is functional and easy to learn. Certainly one of the biggest challenges in the project and I believe there were over 10 variations through the 2 years.

Also, each of the 6 characters has a different design!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tipping
msg tools
Wow looks really great! Cool to see where you started!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie Thomas Thor Ellis-Sargeant
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for this post! I am a few months into my current design and this is the second motivational post this week that I have read. My game looks very much like your early prototypes in terms of materials used etc, and I can only hope that if/when I have a finished product it will be as beautiful as The City of Kings (that box cover ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The comparison between "before" and "after" is amazing!

You did a great work

By the way, the old Ogre Army was great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work! How did you create your prototype?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HouseOfStark wrote:
Thank you so much for this post! I am a few months into my current design and this is the second motivational post this week that I have read. My game looks very much like your early prototypes in terms of materials used etc, and I can only hope that if/when I have a finished product it will be as beautiful as The City of Kings (that box cover ).

I wish you the best of luck, it may be a long journey but it is totally worth it!

ChaosGate wrote:
The comparison between "before" and "after" is amazing!

You did a great work

By the way, the old Ogre Army was great!

Completely! My original drawings truly put fear into peoples mind.

tfoz15 wrote:
Great work! How did you create your prototype?

Thank you!

There was a mixture from local printers (for rulebooks/character sheets/paper stuff) - Gamescrafter for tokens/board pieces and another company for the box/dice but I can't remember their name I'm afraid If I can find it I'll update.

Update:

The box/dice came from http://www.boardgamesmaker.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Youngblood
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Extremely well done, sir! Very impressed.

I love seeing all of the prototype iterations in low fidelity.

Signed up for your email list and I look forward to your Kickstarter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovely! Game design is *very* hard for sure. It takes an enormous amount of determination and stamina. You've managed to climb a mountain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evyoung wrote:
Extremely well done, sir! Very impressed.

I love seeing all of the prototype iterations in low fidelity.

Signed up for your email list and I look forward to your Kickstarter!

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm grateful you signed up for the email list.

adamw wrote:
Lovely! Game design is *very* hard for sure. It takes an enormous amount of determination and stamina. You've managed to climb a mountain!

It was totally worth it, I hope this helps to encourage more to keep climbing - The view from up here is great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wynn
United States
Collierville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrumpyOldGamer wrote:
Congrats! The final product looks great.

Just curious, do you have an example of something you had to scratch from the final design that you thought would be integral to the game being fun?

(Referring to B-17 FFL)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.