Subject: Beginner Questions (Sorry, cant find answers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DOUG LANDIS
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hi,
I am playing with my daughters and we have some basic questions.

1. When playing trait cards do they stay covered until the feeding round? This pertains to carnivores feeding. Do they attack a species while the cards are covered? Then traits would be revealed to negate the attack, harm the carnivore, etc...? This seems like it would be the case because the carnivore would be surprised by the first attack. Or are the cards revealed before hand and thus keeping the carnivore away?

2. When creating a new species can I play extra trait cards in my hand right to that species or increase its size and population right away or have to wait til the next round? I ask that because it seemed like that species was always attacked and died during the feeding round because it had no traits, one population, and one body size.

3. When playing the next round and want to trade out cards on a species do we put those cards we traded out in our hand to be used for increasing pop, body size, a new species, be used for later rounds, or have to discard them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwlandis wrote:
Hi,

1. When playing trait cards do they stay covered until the feeding round? This pertains to carnivores feeding. Do they attack a species while the cards are covered? Then traits would be revealed to negate the attack, harm the carnivore, etc...? This seems like it would be the case because the carnivore would be surprised by the first attack. Or are the cards revealed before hand and thus keeping the carnivore away?
New trait cards are revealed before the Feeding Phase, just before the Food cards are revealed.

dwlandis wrote:
2. When creating a new species can I play extra trait cards in my hand right to that species or increase its size and population right away or have to wait til the next round? I ask that because it seemed like that species was always attacked and died during the feeding round because it had no traits, one population, and one body size.
You can increase a species' Population and Size the same round in which it is created.

dwlandis wrote:
3. When playing the next round and want to trade out cards on a species do we put those cards we traded out in our hand to be used for increasing pop, body size, a new species, be used for later rounds, or have to discard them?
You discard them, and you do not get a Population or Size bonus for those discards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUG LANDIS
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thank You!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the group and the game! They're both AWESOME (IMHO)

For the record, ryudoowaru correctly answered these already, but I wanted to include references for you as well.

ryudoowaru wrote:
dwlandis wrote:
Hi,

New trait cards are revealed before the Feeding Phase, just before the Food cards are revealed.
For reference, this is found on page 5 of the rule book. The last sentence just before the "PHASE 4: FEEDING" section.

ryudoowaru wrote:
dwlandis wrote:
You can increase a species' Population and Size the same round in which it is created.
Good catch on this question! While I thought it was in the rules, I can't find it either. That said, treat this new species the same as you did with your initial species at the beginning of the game and start customizing it!

ryudoowaru wrote:
dwlandis wrote:
You discard them, and you do not get a Population or Size bonus for those discards.

For reference, this is found on page 4 of the rule book. The last sentence on the page, just above the pictures showing proper and improper examples of traits on a Species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.