Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This has been discussed before (most notably in Apollo's "Headstrong" weakness and the whimsical distinction between "voluntary" and "forced."), but I wanted to bring it up again because I'm not sure it ever had a satisfactory resolution, and it always seems to pop up in my group.

Apollo's ability reads:

Apollo's Character Card wrote:
Headstrong: When you are forced to discard skill cards you must discard randomly.

The Official FAQ clarifies this:

Official FAQ wrote:
Q: Under what conditions does Lee Adama have to use his “Headstrong” ability?
A: Whenever he is forced to discard cards. This includes discarding down to 10 cards at the end of a player’s turn, and when required to do so by a Crisis Card. It does not include when he discards a card to move between ships.

For understandable reasons, the FAQ does not cover every single possibility, leaving some gaps. As an exercise, let's enumerate how one can discard cards in Battlestar Galactica and its expansions:

Headstrong Explicitly Applies:
- Discarding for Hand Limit [FAQ]
- Crisis Card Effects [FAQ]

Headstrong Almost Certainly Applies:
- New Caprica Crisis Card Effects
- Super Crisis Card Effects [i.e. Psychological Warfare]

Headstrong Surely Applies:
- Final Five card is revealed by Execution ("If this card is revealed as the result of an Execution, all players must discard 2 Skill Cards")
- Antagonistic Allies Dr. Sherman Cottle and Louanne "Kat" Katraine ("Discard 3 Skill Cards...")

Headstrong Explicitly Does Not Apply:
- Moving Between Ships [FAQ]
- Revealing as a Cylon [UFAQ]

Headstrong Almost Certainly Does Not Apply:
- Moving from a Viper to a Ship
- Revealing as a Sympathizer or Sympathetic Cylon

Headstrong Surely Does Not Apply:
- Discarding skill cards from Destiny (Consult the Oracle, Mysterious Message)

Here are the less clear cases, from most likely to apply to least likely to apply:

d10-1 Antagonistic Allies D'Anna Biers, Felix Gaeta ("Draw 2 Trauma Tokens or Discard 3 Skill Cards"): Does the fact that you have a choice here mean Headstrong doesn't apply? I can't imagine so; presumably Ally Cards are treated like Crises.

d10-2 Mutiny cards Impeachment, Assume Command: ("Discard 5 Skill Cards to take the President/Admiral title"). Very similar wording to Engine Room (below), and it could be interpreted that the 5 cards are the cost to play the card, rather than its effect; does the fact that you are revealing this secret card from your hand yield a distinction between these and Engine Room?

d10-3 Engine Room ("Discard 2 Skill Cards to treat the next Crisis Card drawn this turn as if it had a “Prepare for Jump” Icon."). Does the Engine Room force you to discard 2 skill cards, or is this more like moving between ships, where you are paying a cost to do something?

d10-4 "Selfish" Personal Goal: ("You may discard any number of Skill Cards with a combined strength of 20 to reveal this card.") Probably doesn't apply, though I suppose he could discard randomly until he hits 20? Also, another "cost" type of discard. [Related: do you have to discard exactly 20 for this card, or can you discard more than 20 if your math doesn't work out; e.g. you have a hand of 7 3-strength cards]

d10-5 Attacking Occupation Force reroll: ("The human player may also discard a “Maximum Firepower” Skill Card to reroll the die.") I can't imagine this applies; randomly discarding from among your Maximum Firepowers would divulge secret information, and randomly discarding until you discard an MF makes no sense either. Yet again, another "cost" type of discard.

Generally, I've been assuming it doesn't apply for the bottom 3 cases, but the Impeachment case came up recently in a PBF game and I've been wondering about this ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it does not apply when its a cost to do something, like Impeachment and Engine Room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a good rule of thumb might be to ask whether the event in question will still go through even if you do not have enough cards on hand to fulfill the discard requirement. If the answer is no, it is probably a good candidate for immunity against Headstrong.

I also think it is safe to assume that Headstrong only affects discards from your own hand and not discards from the Destiny deck.

Revealed Cylons (and Sympathizers) lose all of their character advantages and disadvantages (including Headstrong). So for sure it does not apply to post reveal discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingerc wrote:
Headstrong Almost Certainly Does Not Apply:
- Moving from a Viper to a Ship

Since this is a special case of moving between ships, I'd say it certainly doesn't apply. I agree with Gert Meyer's rule of thumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.