Popular Tags: [View All]
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The double-wide, board game-specific USPS large flat rate shipping boxes are doubly awesome!

They fit the standard DOW/Asmodee/FFG/etc. large square boxes side-by-side like a glove!

Edit: removed "new" from the subject line, because as has been pointed out, these are new-to-me aka back in stock after a brief absence, and have actually been around for a while but are a lesser-known option, since they aren't regularly found at USPS counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [USPS] New double-wide board-game-specific shipping boxes!
These use the $18.85 ($17.35 to APO/FPO/DPO) price currently, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragontrainer wrote:
These use the $18.85 ($17.35 to APO/FPO/DPO) price currently, correct?

Correct!

If you use click-n-ship, you'll see that box size listed under the large flat rate price selector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
The new double-wide, board game-specific USPS large flat rate shipping boxes are doubly awesome!

They fit the standard DOW/Asmodee/FFG/etc. large square boxes side-by-side like a glove!

Is this different in size from the previous, long board game box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
badge
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
pdclose wrote:
The new double-wide, board game-specific USPS large flat rate shipping boxes are doubly awesome!

Nope, these have been around for several years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BentlyCash wrote:

They must've been out of stock for a while. I've been trying to get similar since last fall, but the first I've been able to order them is this March. I'm certainly pleased to see them "back"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, these aren't big enough to include padding, so you're taking a chance if you ship with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel_L wrote:
As I recall, these aren't big enough to include padding, so you're taking a chance if you ship with them.

I have two DOW squares packed inside with a thin layer of bubble wrap around each. It fits the same as one with bubblewrap inside the medium flat rate box. If you're used to using more cushioning, then you're correct.

Still, I've shipped with bigger (shipping) boxes that have gotten destroyed, so shipping is its own risk all by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BentlyCash wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
pdclose wrote:

I looked at these when they first came out (2011?), but they were too small for anything but a traditional MB/Parker Bros long thin box - assuming you package them like I do with plenty of protection.

I could see them being useful for transactions where the recipient doesn't care about box condition and more about price.

Either way, thanks for the heads-up Diane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Original thread, with how the box was created with the help of a BGG user:
Upcoming Priority Flat Rate Board Game Shipping Box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
BentlyCash wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
pdclose wrote:

crap, I was hoping for new redesigned "board game" large flat rate box... the existing ones are almost worthless... biggest flaw is they are not thick enough and/or wide enough... definitely *long* though

and I've shipped lots of boxes the last few years and only twice I think did the large flat rate box work (there may have been a couple other times but it was much cheaper)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep some of these around in case they work out well for some eBay item or BGG trade, but I've used very few, and actually got a LOT more use out of the now discontinued Medium Flat Rate boxes that were rectangular and flat.

Edit:
JeffyJeff wrote:
... the existing ones are almost worthless... biggest flaw is they are not thick enough and/or wide enough...

My experience too, and why I've used very few of them; they seem like a good idea in theory, but I've found in practice that some other box almost always fits better, and is usually less expensive as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rhind
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Must. Stop. Buying. Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great for sending larger rectangle shaped game boxes like Legendary Encounters! I've been using these for all my large shipping needs in Math Trades!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I can sell my copies of The Game of Life, Monopoly, and Clue without fear of damage!

Takers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Now I can sell my copies of The Game of Life, Monopoly, and Clue without fear of damage!

Takers?

At a reasonable 18 bucks for postage whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:

Takers?

If you dump them all in one box, I'll give you two hamburgers for the lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

Takers?

If you dump them all in one box, I'll give you two hamburgers for the lot.

Plus shipping (and my arbitrary handling fee of $35) and it's a deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, then you're at the mercy of USPS, meaning you basically have to spend an extra few dollars to insure so when they lose/destroy your stuff, they don't just shrug and say, "oh well, we tried, we'll get em next time!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Weimholt
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
If I beat your score, you must *really* suck.
badge
pdclose wrote:
Joel_L wrote:

I have two DOW squares packed inside with a thin layer of bubble wrap around each. It fits the same as one with bubblewrap inside the medium flat rate box. If you're used to using more cushioning, then you're correct.

Still, I've shipped with bigger (shipping) boxes that have gotten destroyed, so shipping is its own risk all by itself.

I used to use bubble wrap, but I've switched to using an extra layer of cardboard (or two extra layers, if I can fit it). Those flat-rate boxes don't leave much room, and I'm willing to bet that an extra layer of cardboard offers at least as much protection as the tiny thickness of bubble wrap that you can fit in there.

Neither method is going to do much to prevent crush damage anyway, and barring that, the most likely form of damage is usually going to be either something sharp scraping/gouging the flat rate box, or the box being dropped and denting a corner. Seems to me an extra layer of cardboard is going to offer better protection against sharp things than bubble wrap does. And as for corner damage, it's at least as good as thin bubble wrap. I think the best you can do to prevent corner damage is to make sure the game is centered within the flat rate box, by stuffing some extra padding material in either end of the flat rate box to keep the game from shifting to one side. That way, if the corner of the flat rate box gets damaged, there's nothing in there anyway but some air and some packing material.

Cardboard also has the advantage of always being readily available in seemingly unlimited quantity (at least in my house, thanks to all our online purchases and trips to Costco). I always have trouble keeping enough bubble wrap around, even when I take pains to scavenge as much as possible from the packages I receive. I find that those milk boxes from Costco work great for this purpose. They're only lightly glued together, so it's easy to take them apart without needing a box cutter, and you can tear and fold the cardboard easily with your hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regional Rate Priority boxes, especially the B size, which are each a little larger than their medium flat rate siblings, are handy and can save money when sent within a few states. Regional A rate boxes also come in handy, especially for smaller games/books, and are cheaper than medium flat rate even NY to CA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
I keep some of these around in case they work out well for some eBay item or BGG trade, but I've used very few, and actually got a LOT more use out of the now discontinued Medium Flat Rate boxes that were rectangular and flat.

These boxes are back on the USPS website now, and I've placed an order for a bundle, but it remains to be seen exactly which boxes will be delivered -- the last time I tried to order some, they sent me regular Priority boxes of similar size, and that was when they took them off the website and my postal clerks told me those boxes were discontinued.

I can follow up again if anyone is interested, and if they do send me Flat Rate boxes this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:

These boxes are back on the USPS website now, and I've placed an order for a bundle, but it remains to be seen exactly which boxes will be delivered -- the last time I tried to order some, they sent me regular Priority boxes of similar size, and that was when they took them off the website and my postal clerks told me those boxes were discontinued.

I can follow up again if anyone is interested, and if they do send me Flat Rate boxes this time.

If you're referring to the 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" x 13-5/8" end-loader, I've gotten them recently at my post office. I agree this is a good size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:

If you're referring to the 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" x 13-5/8" end-loader, I've gotten them recently at my post office. I agree this is a good size.

Yes, those are the ones!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The flat rate large long boxed are crap. I've gotten a $50 insurance check to prove it. The cardboard is weak with no structural integrity and as others have said, there is little room for packing which won't help anyway when mishandled and folded in half by a heavy box tossed upon it if not level and supported. Also, the price is rarely economical. I dropped off most all of the ones I had at my local PO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.