Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A P
Wales
Newport
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Carcassonne, but I'd be the first to admit that the "theme", such as it is, is as light as they come. What are the players supposed to be - town planners? Gods? Dukes of the South of France?

Looking at the top 100 Abstract games, there are several games on that list which seem to me to have as much or more theme than Carcassonne, such as

Patchwork;
Santorini;
Hive;
Through the Desert;
Qin;
Kahuna.

Now the status of some of those as genuine abstracts is clearly somewhat disputed as most of those games have had only 45-55% votes in the Abstract column (just enough to make them show up in the Abstract subdomain). Yet only 1.9% of people have voted Carcassonne as abstract, suggesting almost nobody considers it to fall into that category.

I wondered what it is people feel about Carcassonne that makes it "not abstract"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figaro123 wrote:
Yet only 1.9% of people have voted Carcassonne as abstract, suggesting almost nobody considers it to fall into that category.

That poll only allows me to choose one category, so it is no surprise that Family is winning out. If people could choose more than one category, there might be more Abstract votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games are shades of this or that. Even Chess might not be abstract and you wouldn't be totally incorrect calling it a war game. Heck, Go IS considered a wargame by grandmasters.

In the end, I'm going to go with people are not calling it abstract because it has cute little drawings of animals on the tiles.

Really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Many euros are in various respects highly abstract even if they nominally include a theme. Still, the theme here lies in the picture generated when the tiles fit together, namely a stylized version of a medieval countryside. So while the game mathematically would be completely isomorphic to a genuinely abstract clone which did not create a picture as such in play, I think in practice the picture aspect is part of the appeal of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it comes with the original "euro-mini", which keeps it from being completely abstract....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
Wales
Newport
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Many euros are in various respects highly abstract even if they nominally include a theme. Still, the theme here lies in the picture generated when the tiles fit together, namely a stylized version of a medieval countryside. So while the game mathematically would be completely isomorphic to a genuinely abstract clone which did not create a picture as such in play, I think in practice the picture aspect is part of the appeal of the game.

I do agree, but in that case surely the same applies to a game like Through the Desert or Qin. It's the inconsistency I don't understand.

I don't think there's any game you couldn't boil down to totally isomorphic, abstracted components, so in that sense all games have a "pasted on" theme. Though that's a different question entirely. I guess what counts as "thematic" is when the mechanics of a game evoke the theme; something which I don't feel really happens a great deal in Carcassonne.

steckman wrote:
That poll only allows me to choose one category, so it is no surprise that Family is winning out. If people could choose more than one category, there might be more Abstract votes.

Could be - unexpanded Carcassonne is probably lighter than those other games. Still, it seems a bit odd that it would allow only one vote; after all, surely a game like Go is both an Abstract and Strategy game. Why should the categories be mutually exclusive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstract, all games are abstract.
In fact 99.99% of our language, thinking and communication are simply abstractions we use to summarize and symbolize often into some vague communication. Frankly we spend a lot of effort to pretend we understand each other. Consider this recursive missive itself. "consider" "recursive" "missive". We mostly play with words/symbolic conceptual manipulation not the real or concrete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Most games are shades of this or that. Even Chess might not be abstract and you wouldn't be totally incorrect calling it a war game. Heck, Go IS considered a wargame by grandmasters.

In the end, I'm going to go with people are not calling it abstract because it has cute little drawings of animals on the tiles.

Really.
It has roads, castles, and fields but no animals-- at least not in my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Ooh, ooh, can I be pedantic too? laugh

There's tiny little animals on some of the base game tiles. At least in the old artwork.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/115467/carcassonne?size=orig...
1st and 3rd tiles bottom row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OlympicCough wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Ooh, ooh, can I be pedantic too? laugh

Yes you can.

N.B.: The poster I'm responding to is an on-line friend. We have such exchanges going both ways often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my 2 cents, but I think Carcassonne isn't an abstract game because it's heavily themed. The objective being completion of map features like cities, roads, and farms, and then claiming of those features in a developing town of Carcassone.

Chess, Go, and Dominos by contrast are not themed. There are pieces given movement and capture rules. However, those pieces exist outside of any meaningful narrative or real world context. They are abstracted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is not perfect information game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hsiale wrote:
Carcassonne is not perfect information game.

Neither are many abstracts like backgammon, pachisi, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Really.

Obviously, they left your copy for greener pastures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Really.

Obviously, they left your copy for greener pastures.

I knew I should have bought those river tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
Wales
Newport
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krsnaji wrote:
Abstract, all games are abstract.
In fact 99.99% of our language, thinking and communication are simply abstractions we use to summarize and symbolize often into some vague communication. Frankly we spend a lot of effort to pretend we understand each other. Consider this recursive missive itself. "consider" "recursive" "missive". We mostly play with words/symbolic conceptual manipulation not the real or concrete.

Yes.... but that doesn't really help nor answer the question in any way, does it?

rican919 wrote:
Just my 2 cents, but I think Carcassonne isn't an abstract game because it's heavily themed. The objective being completion of map features like cities, roads, and farms, and then claiming of those features in a developing town of Carcassone.

Chess, Go, and Dominos by contrast are not themed. There are pieces given movement and capture rules. However, those pieces exist outside of any meaningful narrative or real world context. They are abstracted.

Certainly games like Go and Dominos (and to a very slightly lesser degree Chess, which is at least vaguely themed around medieval combat) are archetypical abstract games, but if you look again at my original post you can see I'm not comparing Carcassonne to those kinds of games. Take a look at the Abstract games subdomain of BGG and you'll see that whilst many of the games are in the Go/Dominos mold, there are plenty which seem to me to be themed to a similar level as Carcassonne, such as the examples I gave in the OP:

e.g.
Hive; which is about rival nests of insects fighting each other.
Through the Desert; which is about desert caravan tribes making pathways and controlling territory and Oases.
Qin; which is about the settling of the Chinese interior

What is it that Carcassonne has that none of the above games have, that makes it not an abstract whilst they are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric V
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think steckman has it right - the choice is between overlapping, fuzzy categories (e.g. abstract vs family), so people are simply putting it in the bin that seems to be the "best" description (in the 3 or 4 seconds that they're devoting to the choice). In cases where the categories aren't well-separated, people aren't really saying it's not abstract - they're just saying that it fits another category better.

I'd probably pick family over abstract for Carcassonne as well. It just seems like a better description, if I only get to pick one.

It occurs to me that I'd probably pick abstract over family for Hive, although I don't have any good rationale for doing so. "Seems to fit better" reasoning doesn't have anything to back it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
Figaro123 wrote:
Yet only 1.9% of people have voted Carcassonne as abstract, suggesting almost nobody considers it to fall into that category.

This.

It's absurd, that Kolejka is not considered a "thematic game", as a game can hardly be any more linked to it's theme, and deliver it while playing, then in this game. Yet, because everybody can only vote one category, and it is also a game good to interest a whole family, most people voted for "family game".

Also, "abstract game" is not a category on the geek, but "abstract strategy game". Yahtzee is as abstract as a game can be, but not a strategy game. And while Carcassonne certainly rewards more skill than Yahtzee, it is mostly tactical, not really strategic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figaro123 wrote:

rican919 wrote:

Certainly games like Go and Dominos (and to a very slightly lesser degree Chess, which is at least vaguely themed around medieval combat) are archetypical abstract games, but if you look again at my original post you can see I'm not comparing Carcassonne to those kinds of games. Take a look at the Abstract games subdomain of BGG and you'll see that whilst many of the games are in the Go/Dominos mold, there are plenty which seem to me to be themed to a similar level as Carcassonne, such as the examples I gave in the OP:

e.g.
Hive; which is about rival nests of insects fighting each other.
Through the Desert; which is about desert caravan tribes making pathways and controlling territory and Oases.
Qin; which is about the settling of the Chinese interior

What is it that Carcassonne has that none of the above games have, that makes it not an abstract whilst they are?

Perhaps the question should really be why the other games are considered abstract, rather than why Carcassonne is not? My opinion of this most closely matches rican919's. Euro's are known for having pasted on themes, some more so than others (and some not so much). I mostly play Hunters & Gatherers, and the very fact that the same game can be re-themed in such a way and with the basic concept still intact says the theme was pasted on. But still, you are building a town, and you can see that you are.

I don't know Through the Desert or Qin so can't comment. Hive I'm only vaguely familiar with, but yeah, I'd call that an abstract. This is something hard to describe, but it "plays like" an abstract, and I think that's an important point. I would categorize Hey That's My Fish as an abstract, because it plays like one. It has a theme too, but plays like an abstract. It's more of a feel. Carcassonne to me does not play like an abstract, even though I'm mostly ignoring the theme while I play. I ignore the theme in a lot of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
Wales
Newport
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EricTheFed wrote:
I think steckman has it right - the choice is between overlapping, fuzzy categories (e.g. abstract vs family), so people are simply putting it in the bin that seems to be the "best" description (in the 3 or 4 seconds that they're devoting to the choice). In cases where the categories aren't well-separated, people aren't really saying it's not abstract - they're just saying that it fits another category better.

I'd probably pick family over abstract for Carcassonne as well. It just seems like a better description, if I only get to pick one.

It occurs to me that I'd probably pick abstract over family for Hive, although I don't have any good rationale for doing so. "Seems to fit better" reasoning doesn't have anything to back it up.

In that case, how come Patchwork shows up in both the Family Game (2nd) and Abstract game (1st) subdomains? Is it because there are a relatively similar number of votes in each category?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Figaro123 wrote:
EricTheFed wrote:

In that case, how come Patchwork shows up in both the Family Game (2nd) and Abstract game (1st) subdomains? Is it because there are a relatively similar number of votes in each category?

Yes, there's a threshold of percentage and/or total votes to appear in each category. If two categories each receive 35+% (40? not sure exactly where the cutoff is) of votes, it will appear in both lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.