Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Pandemic: Iberia» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Second Royal Philanthropic Expendition of one; single player review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
The Good; I played 5 games of Pandemic Iberia yesterday! My gg isn't into coops' so I play them solo, which is fine with me. Eliminates the Alpha Player problem and greatly reduces downtime.

I already own and enjoy the venerable Pandemic. I got mostly through Pandemic Legacy(solo) before deciding that it was not my cup of tea. All three base games are almost identical with a few major differences. If you are already familiar with Pandemic, you should pick up Iberia quickly.

I say should because there are some major rules tweaks, mostly regarding movement and how the diseases are treated. Some of them seem to be carry overs from Legacy, they all work very well and fit in to the period theme.

Visually, Iberia looks much better than it's predecessor's. I personally think it is one of the best looking games of 2016. I really like the old time map look of the board and the line drawing card art. The components are basic but they are high quality and fit in with the aesthetic.

I won most of the base games I played. I tried several games with the patient movement variant without success. They were quite fun and I hope to get a win after a few more tries.

The Not So Good; I lost most of the games! If you actually play coop's with other people,blush this may be a harder sell than Pandemic. The game is slower developing and early mistakes can ruin games quickly.

As with Pandemic, some characters are more useful than others. The game character reactive abilities are weaker and there is a greater emphasis on preventative measures. Movement is constrained and none of the diseases can be eradicated. Epidemics are harder to deal with and it is harder to cure diseases.

The cities are difficult to find on the map. The infection cards don't clearly show the locations and after a while the board is covered with components. The art style isn't for everyone.

When I tried the variant rules I kept losing track of the turn sequence. This probably won't happen in multiplayer games as much because you won't have to take every turn yourself. This is the main reason I disliked Legacy, not enough space on the hard drive.

I bought my copy on-sale online but since this is a "limited edition" version the game will possibly be hard to find and/or pricier in the future.

I would highly recommend Iberia to anyone who enjoys Pandemic and/or wants a more challenging coop experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
The Good - As with Pandemic, some characters are more useful than others. The game character reactive abilities are weaker and there is a greater emphasis on preventative measures. Movement is constrained and none of the diseases can be eradicated. Epidemics are harder to deal with and it is harder to cure diseases.

I think you'll find each of the characters can really shine by leveraging their special ability and building a strategy around who is in the game.
For example, I always thought the Scientist in this game was *shrug*. Can use any card to put down water and look at the top 3 cards of the player deck and rearrange them. One time we had a new player who used him and I didn't want to dictate his moves, so I let him play him however he wanted and so he did the peek/rearrange action almost every turn. At first I cringed, thinking this was going to cost as the game, but was quickly amaze how much more efficient it made us. Getting the right color card into the right hand makes researching the diseases so much easier. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference but it truly did and now I love it when that character is in the game.

Quote:
The cities are difficult to find on the map. The infection cards don't clearly show the locations and after a while the board is covered with components. The art style isn't for everyone.

Am I the only one that completely butchers the names of these cities? I'm embarrassed I'm so clueless how to pronounce some of these. I end up making a big joke of it "Bilbo Baggins", "Ourense" = "Onsie" - yes it's that bad. I'm always relieved when Madrid or Toledo comes up! blush

Agreed, great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
isellsunshine wrote:
I think you'll find each of the characters can really shine by leveraging their special ability and building a strategy around who is in the game. For example, I always thought the Scientist in this game was *shrug*. Can use any card to put down water and look at the top 3 cards of the player deck and rearrange them. One time we had a new player who used him and I didn't want to dictate his moves, so I let him play him however he wanted and so he did the peek/rearrange action almost every turn. At first I cringed, thinking this was going to cost as the game, but was quickly amaze how much more efficient it made us. Getting the right color card into the right hand makes researching the diseases so much easier. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference but it truly did and now I love it when that character is in the game.

That's true but Iberia is a very different game in that you can't react to problems like you could in Pandemic. I have played several games with all 6 epidemic cards and there is a huge difference between the characters. As far as I can tell the "optimal" line up for a four player game is; Rural Doctor, Nurse, Sailor and the Politician.

The nurse and the doctor have the best cure and prevention abilities. The Sailor is the most mobile and the Politician is the only character that can distribute cards effectively.

I'm sure it's possible to win a 6 epidemic game with the other characters, I just don't see it happening very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
One time we had a new player who used him and I didn't want to dictate his moves, so I let him play him however he wanted

I just have to say, that is totally awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.