Aaron and Stephanie Richardson
United States
Lake St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying this solo variant of the Rivals game, and it works pretty well. Thought I'd share. If you try it, let me know what to tweak to make it better. The assumption is that you are Batman (because, why would you be anyone else) fighting the Joker.

THE STORY
The Joker has placed a bomb in Gotham, and Batman is running out of time to find the Clown Prince of Crime and get the answers out of him. To make matters worse, The Joker has let loose tons of villains on the streets of Gotham to slow the Bat down. You are Batman, and you must stop the Joker before time runs out. Pull out all the stops and use whatever you can. Gotham needs you.

SET-UP
Set-up the game per normal Rivals rules with one exception, shuffle the Joker's starting card deck, and place it face-down next to the Joker card. The Joker player does not draw a "hand" of cards.

TURN ORDER
A Discard the top card from the Joker's deck to the Joker's discard pile. If it is a Vulnerability card, the Joker executes a Confrontation against Batman (see Joker's Confrontation). If it is any other card, nothing happens.

B The Batman player takes a turn as normal (either Confronting the Joker or buying cards) with the following exceptions:

- Any Villain cards gained or acquired from the Line-Up are destroyed instead of acquired.

- Batman cannot do a Confrontation on his turn if there is 1 or more Villain cards in the Line-up.

Joker's Confrontation
When the Joker confronts Batman, the Joker's Confrontation Power total is equal to the number of cards in Joker's discard pile plus the number of Villain cards in the destroyed pile. The Batman player may use Block abilities as normal. If the Joker's Power is equal to or greater than the Batman character card, then the Batman card has been defeated.

END GAME
The game ends when one of the following occurs.
- Batman wins if all 3 Joker Character cards have been defeated in Confrontations. Batman has caught up to the Joker and found the bomb kill switch.

- Batman loses if the Joker has defeated all the Batman Character cards in Confrontations. The Joker has escaped the Dark Knight, and his plan will cone to fruition.

- Batman loses if you go to draw a card from the main deck, and there are no more cards. Time has run out, and the Joker's bomb has gone off.

That's it. Some variations on this are to discard a card form the Main Deck each turn to make it harder, but this has been a fun distraction so far. Though, I do feel sorry for Gotham more than I don't. Enjoy and let me know any thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Crisman
United States
Decatur
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool little variant I tried out today. Maybe I just got lucky two games in a row, but I had no problems defeating the Joker playing as is. So, I started thinking of a few ways to turn up the difficulty a little.

Here's what I implemented on my third run...

- Remove one of the "Punch" cards from the Jokers deck, and add one "Weakness" card to it. When the "Weakness" card is discarded, you gain one "Weakness".

- Use the "On Patrol" variant from the full DCDBG. (When you buy a card/defeat a villain, immediately replace it with the next card from the main deck.) If it is a Villain with an "Attack", resolve the attack.

I didn't get to finish the third game, but when I stopped the Joker and I had both hit each other once, and it was a lot closer of a battle. Could be just different luck, but the changes definitely screwed up a couple of my hands!

Toying with the idea of replacing a Punch card in the Jokers deck with a Weakness card every time you reshuffle (every 10 turns), but I want to run a couple games first.

Joshua

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron and Stephanie Richardson
United States
Lake St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the On Patrol variant idea. That's a great addition/change.

I am going to try adding in a Weakness or two. It might be good to have the Weakness cards kick off an Attack too, that way you have a chance to avoid a Weakness card and it eats up your Defenses.

Thanks for trying and improving. I'll try to give it a spin with these changes over the week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.