Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Today, Portal Games announced their first release for 2018.

Detective: A Modern Crime Boardgame is a story-driven, cooperative game for 1 to 4 players. The game will ship with 5 scenarios that can be played independently, or worked through as a complete campaign. The game will blend printed elements, with a complimentary online component which will allow players to investigate clues through their favorite internet-connected devices.

In Detective: A Modern Crime Boardgame, the players take on the role of investigators working for the government agency ANTERES. Investigators will be given login credentials to the ANTERES online database which contains data about suspects, witnesses, and documentation from arrests and trials related to their case. Players will be free to use the investigation manual, ANTERES database, and any other online resources they may find to help them solve the case.

Detective: A Modern Crime Boardgame brings classic puzzle-solving gameplay into the 21st century with the introduction of online elements. “The Fourth Wall is a well-known concept in theatre. With Detective we are breaking this Fourth Wall,” said designer Ignacy Trzewiczek. “We offer an immersive experience like no other. Players are not playing a character who investigates crime, the players are actually investigating the crime. Players have all modern tools available. They are able to search Wikipedia to confirm some information, or check the history of World War II to verify a witness statement. At Portal, we design board games that tell stories and this time once again, we have extraordinary story to tell.”

Detective: A Modern Crime Boardgame will be released in 2018. The game includes 5 scenarios for players to explore and many high-quality components. Price and final component list will be determined at a later date."

On Sunday we Skyped with NA Portal Rep, Chevee Dodd to get more info. We added the information we got from Chevee to the end our at podcast at 1:32
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ansari
United States
Temple City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is it a "one-and-done" game like TIME Stories? Sounds a lot like Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective...except with half the content. The online aspect has already lost me. Not sure why Portal seems dead set on bringing phones and tablets to table. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FPV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know. This sounds pretty cool. Eager to read more info regarding it. I have Time Stories, so if it is a one a done, that would be disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is one and done. Once you've solved a mystery there is no need to replay. As a result, there will be additional content released over time like TIME Stories.

I too have concern with this business model but I'll have to wait and see on the cost of game and how many hours of gameplay I'll get out of it.

But for the meantime, I'll trust Ignacy knows what he's doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buttons McBoomboom
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My knee jerk reaction is this kinda feels like the experience you get from the Mysterious Package company. Some physical bits cause you to look online for info to solve the riddle.

Color me intrigued...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Ignacy wants me to use my tablet to Google to help solve the cases... Guess what the first search result will be for everything in the game? A link to a spoiler thread on BGG.

If he MUST use technology for this game, I think they should make a single website and/or app that simulates Google searches. Load it with irrelevant data among the solutions.

But I'd rather not have to use technology at the board game table in the first place. I hate this trend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
So Ignacy wants me to use my tablet to Google to help solve the cases... Guess what the first search result will be for everything in the game? A link to a spoiler thread on BGG.

There is a specific website called ANTERES that Portal is creating for this game. But how it's used and how it works is still unknown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfpackee wrote:
danaolson wrote:

There is a specific website called ANTERES that Portal is creating for this game. But how it's used and how it works is still unknown.

I'm aware, but if you watch Ignacy talking about the game, he is saying you need to use Wikipedia and Google to progress through the case. The website isn't comprehensive, which is what I am saying that it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Chiappini
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this will be done well because I'd love to get a modern take on SH:CD, but I have this vision of sitting next to my friends, each one on their smartphone or tablet, googling in silence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it *is* a co-op game and Ignacy has some very solid experience with those....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FPV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If Portal created a simulated internet (intranet) with simulated databases and servers (email, file, etc.) and players would use google for search and a simulated Wikipedia for information, I guess that might be cool. Kind of reminds me of the steam game Orwell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Cherry
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I love The Secret World MMORPG. Even though this isn't horror/fantasy, it is an automatic buy for me.

Combining Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective with real world online research? Sounds perfect.

Add a supernatural element next time and I'm extra on board.

I unironically love getting google searching in my investigations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfpackee wrote:
It is one and done. Once you've solved a mystery there is no need to replay. As a result, there will be additional content released over time like TIME Stories.

I too have concern with this business model but I'll have to wait and see on the cost of game and how many hours of gameplay I'll get out of it.

Are you sure of that? Why not a mansions of madness style "there are 5 scenarios, but the app juggles stuff up" element?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithkrall wrote:
wolfpackee wrote:

Are you sure of that?

Ignacy basically said it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
Ithkrall wrote:
wolfpackee wrote:

Are you sure of that?

Ignacy basically said it.

Well, there goes my excitement. Unless its going to have a bunch of extra content for a reasonable price, which they can digitally.

I'm not interested in TIME stories "buy an expansion that costs about the same as most many games for 1 play" DLC style method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.