Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
I was always a critic of Obama and his drone strikes, but he did attempt some transparency by making it a rule that the Military would conduct all such strikes. That way, allegedly all strikes would be known as well as their results, even if post strike.

Now the CIA no longer has to go through accountable channels.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/13/trump-gives-cia-p...

I wonder when they will start founding CIA divisions of armed forces. Maybe they will get cool black uniforms and all the best equipment.

Yeah, that's right, I just Godwin'd my own thread, mostly because I think it's evolved into dumb dismissal of any Nazi comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
I was always a critic of Obama and his drone strikes, but he did attempt some transparency by making it a rule that the Military would conduct all such strikes. That way, allegedly all strikes would be known as well as their results, even if post strike.

Now the CIA no longer has to go through accountable channels.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/13/trump-gives-cia-p...

I wonder when they will start founding CIA divisions of armed forces. Maybe they will get cool black uniforms and all the best equipment.

Yeah, that's right, I just Godwin'd my own thread, mostly because I think it's evolved into dumb dismissal of any Nazi comparison.

The CIA already has soldiers seconded from US special forces. It's at least a battalion in size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Isn't that SOCOM?

USSOCOM conducts several covert and clandestine missions, such as direct action, special reconnaissance, counter-terrorism, foreign internal defense, unconventional warfare, psychological warfare, civil affairs, and counter-narcotics operations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Special_Operatio...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Isn't that SOCOM?

USSOCOM conducts several covert and clandestine missions, such as direct action, special reconnaissance, counter-terrorism, foreign internal defense, unconventional warfare, psychological warfare, civil affairs, and counter-narcotics operations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Special_Operatio...
Technically they operate from under DoD, so they aren't quite a separate operation yet. Maybe a step in that direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
The CIA already employs mercenaries, er, military contractors. Has for years. No pun here, but that is one fucking spooky agency. Trump really put his foot into this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like this goes counter to the whole administration's "You can't trust them damn intelligence agencies!" narrative.

If that's true, why are you giving them free reign to kill people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
I feel like this goes counter to the whole administration's "You can't trust them damn intelligence agencies!" narrative.

Isn't it their job--especially CIA--to become trusted and then betray that trust? Trump and CIA? Isn't that kind of like alligators not eating lawyers as a professional courtesy?

(Old joke: apologies to lawyers.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Tall_Walt wrote:
Terwox wrote:

Isn't it their job--especially CIA--to become trusted and then betray that trust? Trump and CIA? Isn't that kind of like alligators not eating lawyers as a professional courtesy?

(Old joke: apologies to lawyers.)

The way I heard it, it was sharks during a feeding frenzy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the bickering between President Trump and the IC, it seems to me that the Great Negotiator just got played. I'm guessing someone from the CIA went to Mr. Trump and suggested to him that they would stop the leaks and combative attitude (as it pertains to him) if he would just sign off on their covert drone program. And now that the toothpaste is out of the tube, they won't give him their end of the deal but will keep using it to gain more powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time flies in the blink of an eye. It wasn't but a couple of decades ago that they were toppling governments, and now...

... now....

... now look at them. Our little CIA is all grown up.... drone-striking whomever they want....

They grow up so... so fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's be clear about what this really is. Trump washing his hands of any perceived responsibility, for drone strikes. The buck ultimately stops with him, but this is his opportunity to waive that responsibility if the strikes should somehow be deemed unsuccessful. No doubt he will blame the CIA in some manner, shape, or form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
abadolato01 wrote:
Let's be clear about what this really is. Trump washing his hands of any perceived responsibility, for drone strikes. The buck ultimately stops with him, but this is his opportunity to waive that responsibility if the strikes should somehow be deemed unsuccessful. No doubt he will blame the CIA in some manner, shape, or form.

Hadn't thought about that, but you could be spot-on. After the grief Trump got for the Yemen raid, he may just not want to be ripped for blowing up a Syrian kindergarten or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Hadn't thought about that, but you could be spot-on. After the grief Trump got for the Yemen raid, he may just not want to be ripped for blowing up a Syrian kindergarten or whatever.
And even that he tried to pin on "the generals".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.