Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Still no news on expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Revie

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FEB 10 last update. All i can say is Wow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
Concur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kortekaas
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah this is only hurting the game player base. it's dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably at this point anything they post prior to the expansions actually hitting the shelves will only cause them ridicule and flak.

Delays are par for the course in this industry - particularly with smaller companies. Personally I don't bat an eye at a six month delay.

These expansions will be released, we will buy them, and we'll love and play them for years to come. This little hick-up will be all but forgotten. Chill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. I've been refreshing the 12 other expansion release threads and assumed there WAS news, since no one had posted there wasn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Revie

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it does hurt them. We invest in games we want to play but i don't like investing when i think i am going to be frustrated. I backed DUST which was a complete debacle and I am trying to support this game. At least in this case I have no cash outlay so the only thing is a level of frustration with the lack and conflicting information that has been available from GF9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scranton
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's all the more damning that the Cardassian expansion was "almost" available for sale at GenCon. The demo games they ran even included it. It's hard to fathom how that expansion hasn't released yet.

This has definitely hurt my ability to play the game. I almost always have 4 players. 3 players makes the game almost unplayable for me. That being said, I'm going to buy the expansions the moment that they release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremy6801 wrote:
I think it's all the more damning that the Cardassian expansion was "almost" available for sale at GenCon. The demo games they ran even included it. It's hard to fathom how that expansion hasn't released yet.

This has definitely hurt my ability to play the game. I almost always have 4 players. 3 players makes the game almost unplayable for me. That being said, I'm going to buy the expansions the moment that they release.

true, the expansions looked already 99% finished in last year's summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremy6801 wrote:

agree. this actually makes me think it was a money issue and not a development issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bigness
msg tools
I Protest Luke! I am not a merry man! LOL! just kidding!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have we, collectively, decided the Feb 10 update was a falsehood?

They said these expansions, plus the one for Tyrants, were caught in a three-week shutdown for Chinese New Year. They said they would state when they had a new shipment date. They haven't done so yet, so let's accept they don't have a new shipment date. (Or, if you want to be hopeful, maybe they're on the way already and will be here soon!). As for me, the calendar tells me early April from that update, and I'm not worrying until after then.

I have both Star Trek and the Tyrants expansion already paid for through pre-order, so I'm as anxious as anyone. I've just chosen to be optimistic. Plus, in both cases, the games without the expansions are pretty damn good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing was "stuck in a Chinese New Year time warp" as CNY is a known and predictable thing, if you actually pay attention or have a clue what you are doing. If you are not really sure what you are doing it is a convenient way to distract people from how much you do not know what you are doing.

It seems to me that nobody at GF9 really has a clue about production scheduling and that stuff just shows up, to their amazement, and they ship it out.

We have to remember that GF9 is a VERY LARGE company with hundreds of employees all doing very important and demanding work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. That type of corporate structure does not make time for silly announcements to customers about scheduling. Since there is no single person dedicated to customer support there will be no accurate information disseminated.

If any of this were untrue, we would not be in the situation we are currently in, as customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what they cant predict is the schedule of the factory.
many companies use the same factory so they have to pick a number and get in line and once its fully booked you might need some luck to squeeze your game in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Nothing was "stuck in a Chinese New Year time warp" as CNY is a known and predictable thing, if you actually pay attention or have a clue what you are doing. If you are not really sure what you are doing it is a convenient way to distract people from how much you do not know what you are doing.

On one hand, they're a big company and should know better. On the other hand, bullshit happens, games are late all the time.

crimhead wrote:

These expansions will be released, we will buy them, and we'll love and play them for years to come. This little hick-up will be all but forgotten. Chill.

In terms of whether it's hurting the game long-term I tend to fall into this camp, although clearly it can't be helping.

I sent GF9 a message asking if they had any news the other day. They didn't answer, I don't know what that means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to have some indication of when the expansions will actually be released.

I bought the game counting on being able to expand the player count as was announced.

I have played the three player game and it is nice, but certainly not as good as it will be with more players. In my group I doubt we'll play this game much unless it can support at least five players.

The lack of communication about the situation is perplexing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Fernandez
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
badge
Ludo Ergo Sum
mbmbmbmbmb
I have asked Battlefront and they told me that the expansions will be on sale by the second or third week of April.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I hope they come with a lot more tokens because some of mine are already falling apart. I wonder what it would cost to have durable plastic tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrevie wrote:

I think the latest tweet (Why they didn't post it on their webpage I will never know) Made it quite clear that the Expansions were not coming out last month and are subject to another delay.

This isn't the first delay for STA. The game was supposed to be out last August but instead it ended up in October. I know all of oyu have seen the flyer inside "Cardassain Expansion Out Now", and "Ferengi Expansion coming October". I think it was safe to say that the core game was delayed a few of months thus expansions planed for October would also be delayed. Well four months later news of another delay so we can add another 4 months to that since delays tend to go by quarter (beacuase of quarterly reports and so).

So when will the expansions come out, I think it is safe to say sometime this year. It is no secret that the game needs the expansions and is not really complete without the 4th and 5th civ from TNG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
I hope they come with a lot more tokens because some of mine are already falling apart. I wonder what it would cost to have durable plastic tokens?

If you mean what it would cost GF9 I dunno. You could get a nice custom set on Ponoko or whatever laser cutting site for... probably 35 bucks? I'm tempted to, my warp tokens are peeling at the ends.

Marinealver wrote:
rrevie wrote:

I think the latest tweet (Why they didn't post it on their webpage I will never know) Made it quite clear that the Expansions were not coming out last month and are subject to another delay.

This the Feb 10 tweet, right? I'm not missing one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle If you think this is bad, try waiting for an expansion for Whiz Kids' Star Trek Fleet Captains! Now that's been a long wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make me wonder if a lot of people will line up for the Borg expansion or give it a pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor JD wrote:
It does make me wonder if a lot of people will line up for the Borg expansion or give it a pass.

well if the 2 expansions are well received i will still get the borg expansion.... i wont pre order it though and tie up other games in the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor JD wrote:

I will probably get it, but I'm less excited about it than the other expansions. Species options + increased player count is exactly what this game needs. More ways to get screwed in the exploration phase sorta isn't, and it looks like Borg are going to add lot of those, although we don't know what else it's going to add yet. The fact that it's possible for a player to take over the borg during the game makes me hopeful that I might be able to adapt them into a regular player species.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor JD wrote:

I will definitely get it. I have a feeling that the Borg will unlock the true potential of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think with the borg there might be a different victory condition, might even be cooperative

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.