Popular Tags: [View All]
ben priest
United Kingdom
Sleaford
lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I have now played each sin about twice except sloth and greed. Now all the sins I played have had abilities of good use depending on the missions, although I feel greed was lacking quite a lot surely +1 fight dice on for every upgrade on the highest upgraded character would be better as oppose to just +1 overall. Anyway I digress.

The sloth ability either I am being really dumb and I am playing it wrong or the ability is absolutely useless or broken.
I am playing it as follows:

When a hero starts a fight they get marked for a round and can move 1 less space to a minimum of 1, or if they wish to ignore effect may pay 1 wound to ignore the restriction for one turn.

Now if that is right it is pretty pointless, most the heroes tend to move 1 and take an action or take an action and move 1,so them heroes are not affected by that ability if they do that, if the hero wants to move 2 which happens but not as much as the first action they can just choose to ignore the ability so a very minor penalty.

To me it seems WAY underpowered compared to the other sins and it's ability seems almost pointless, the sloth cards have nothing great either so it is not weighed out by them.
Am I playing it wrong I wondered if it meant to say to a minimum of 1 and though of disregarding that but then thought well that would be too strong then basically rendering the heroes immobile unless they take damage, then I thought would it make sense that it lets hero move 1 but not take an action on top of that so it would be the following actions available on heroes who attacked:
:Move 1
:take an action:
:move and take action but take a wound
:move twice but take a wound

please let me know if I am playing the ability right as it is useless.
TIA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aradraug
Czech Republic
Novy Jicin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing it wrong. Hero may move and take and action (or take an action and move). When the hero moves, he can move up to 2 spaces, regardless of taking or not taking an action.
The hero can for example move 2 spaces and take an action (usually fight the monsters) or he can take an action (clenaing the building) and then run away 2 spaces. When the hero is limited to move only 1 space, he is much less mobile and is prone to be eaten by monsters...
Sloth ability takes much mobility from heroes and mobility is the key for winnig this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Agree with the above. It's a very annoying ability, I would much rather fight Greed any day of the week.

Essentially, as soon as a hero starts a fight each round, for the rest of the round that hero can either move 1 and take an action or take an action and move 1. If you take a look at Haven's Last Stand Map B, let's say the map had NO monsters on it... it would take 4-5 turns just to complete "Gear Up!" Add in the monsters and you are easily looking at nearly 2 rounds. So you are left with a tough choice: start fights and slog down or move to a spot with a monster and hope the Sin player reacts so you can kill - either way, you are making less progress each turn.

Other issues:

1. As was already said, it's much, much easier to become swarmed by 2+ monsters in a space when you can't move as much, and you make less progress on the board overall.
2. If you start your turn in a District space, you basically can't get to another one until the NEXT turn. That can be brutal in terms of using City actions.
2. Also, the Metro becomes more useless as you now need to start your move IN the Metro spcace to even be able to use it.

You essentially need the Ravencorp token and someone like wolf-Karl to even things out. I'd say play with it a few times and then make a final judgment, but I find Sloth annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben priest
United Kingdom
Sleaford
lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, of course you are right. I am not sure what I was thinking although my players faults too lol.
I played the first 2 games right and then for some reason we all got it in our heads that heroes could only move 1 on the action taking turn and not 2.

The sloth makes much more sense now and although not my fave ability I can see how he would be useful thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aradraug
Czech Republic
Novy Jicin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome.

We played a few games wrong too - we assumed that Sin player can move one monster OR fight the hero. But one clever player pointed out that he can move a monster AND fight a hero...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sloth sin cards also allow Sloth to move monsters around the board. Usually there are a few monsters sitting around the edges that the Sin player struggles to make use of; and Sloth cards allow you to access them.

This in combination with the Sloth power are very powerful. I find sloth to be quite strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edoardo Macucci
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi, me and my friend play whith wrath, pride, slot, envy, lust, and till now slot for me was the weekest...

lust + police accolyte + blu story (for the sins player ) are the most powerfull
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the sloth Ability states:

Heroes that start a fight are Marked until the end of round.
Marked heroes move 1 fewer space per turn (minimum 1).
A hero may take 1 wound to ignore this for the turn.

The ‘this’ in that 3rd sentence is a bit ambiguous to me. So is the hero paying 1 wound to ignore the movement penalty for the turn OR is the hero paying 1 wound to ignore getting marked (for that turn only)?

I’m pretty sure the intention is that once you get marked for the round,you’re marked for the round, BUT each turn you can pay a wound to ‘supress’ the negative effect for the turn. Below I rewrote it with a slight change (in bold), which helps articulate what I think was their intention.

For example,
“Heroes that start a fight are Marked until the end of round.
Marked heroes move 1 fewer space per turn (minimum 1), but
A hero may take 1 wound to ignore this for the turn.”

If that’s false, then it leads me back to my 2nd option: a hero pays 1 wound to avoid being marked (1 payment protects the hero from being marked that whole turn), but the hero would be eligible to marked again this round (just not on that same turn the wound was paid).

Sorry if this comes out like a criticism—I’m coming from a place of love—I’m just trying to get the rule right and I appreciate someone’s help.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maurice_Oksman wrote:
So the sloth Ability states:

Heroes that start a fight are Marked until the end of round.
Marked heroes move 1 fewer space per turn (minimum 1).
A hero may take 1 wound to ignore this for the turn.

The key is the word turn in the 3rd sentence. The wound cost is for the TURN but the effect is for the round.

Maurice_Oksman wrote:

I’m pretty sure the intention is that once you get marked for the round,you’re marked for the round, BUT each turn you can pay a wound to ‘supress’ the negative effect for the turn. Below I rewrote it with a slight change (in bold), which helps articulate what I think was their intention.

For example,
“Heroes that start a fight are Marked until the end of round.
Marked heroes move 1 fewer space per turn (minimum 1), but
A hero may take 1 wound to ignore this for the turn.”

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.