Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So last night I finally got to play my first scenario of Gloomhaven. As a backer this was very exciting for me. Together with 5 of my closest friends we are playing a 6-man party with the hopes that between 6 dad's schedules; 4 of us can make it to any given game night. Hence the name: Father's of Gloomhaven. (minor first scenario spoilers upcoming).

For our first scenario the Cragheart, the Scoundrel, the Spellweaver, and yours truly, the Tinkerer, all made it out to opening night. We were all caught quite unawares by the speed with which the opening guards came at us and we quickly found ourselves scrambling with a glut of guards in our grilles. Our brave Cragheart took the brunt of this and quickly found himself down a few cards to negate some damage. After what seemed like way too many turns (and it probably was) we finally turned the tables and made it out of the first room. However, it also became increasingly apparent that the Cragheart was not going to be able to continue for much longer.

Once we opened the second room the Cragheart quickly went to work trying to do as much as he could with the few turns that he had left. A number of timely heals kept him up for longer than we could have hoped for and he finally succumbed to exhaustion after valiantly springing a trap for his party memebers. Things were looking bleak for our first Father's.

The hobbled crew went to work on the remaining monsters in the second room and our card playing became more focused and productive as we finally got into a groove on how to play.

Thanks to the Cragheart's sacrifice we opened up the final room. The Scoundrel knew that he was not in a position to make it all the way to the end either and jumped ahead to try and inflict as much damage as he could while also absorbing the initial strike from the final monsters.

As luck would have it our final few turns were spent dealing heavy damage to our enemies while managing to avoid taking too much. Our modifier cards and the enemies cards seemed to be aligned to give us a chance.

As the final monster fell to Spellweaver's last chance to act, the Scoundrel falling a turn earlier and the Tinkerer with on more chance to pick up a coin or two, we raised our fist's, slapped each other on the back and thought to ourselves "If only I had one more turn to try and get all that loot?!?!"

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Wow! What an amazing thrill-ride. This was hands down the best gaming experience of my life. I thought after the first room and seeing that our Cragheart was almost dead that we had no chance. But we managed to pull it off. Unbelievable! Had we managed hands a bit better early on and had a bit more experience in how things work, I think we would have all made it the end. (We left so much loot in there!) cry

Thank you Isaac for an amazing adventure, I know that these 6 Father's of Gloomhaven are eager to get back at it for more.

Crogstad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing, and great to hear that your group is enjoying Gloomhaven as much as we are!
Your party is in grave danger though, from that surliest of superheroes, Apostrophe Man
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
opticode wrote:
Thanks for sharing, and great to hear that your group is enjoying Gloomhaven as much as we are!
Your party is in grave danger though, from that surliest of superheroes, Apostrophe Man

Did he break that poor man's neck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.