Marcy Morelli
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you didn't get a chance to see it, the February Puzzle of the Month (Puerto Rico) is still up over on the Meeple League site:
http://www.new.meepleleague.com/puzzle-for-february/

I'll be posting the outcome soon, so if you still want to comment, go on over and check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Had trouble with the log-in procedure at the Meeple League site, so I will post my thoughts on the PR puzzle here.

I would probably just go ahead and take the Guild Hall. You have won the race to 10, and it's the best large building. Right now, only worth 3 bonus VP, but there's time to build out and it should be worth 8-10 VP by game end. Plus, with one quarry you aren't spending money and can take the Small Sugar mill next build phase if there's no more money coming in. The Factory is a good second choice, but right now, with the only coffee and a Small Market, trading should generate enough money without having to rely on the Factory income. This player should realize that, in order to win, they need a relatively low-scoring game with less shipping and should favor Trader-Builder cycles as opposed to Craftsman-Captain, which would favor shipping. Expect for the game to run out via filled buildings or colonists (lots of wholes as larger production buildings are bought to try to maximize one's Guild Hall bonus points).

Anyway, this is a fairly common situation that occurs when a player has done relatively well in the "early money" part of the game, and the decision is how best to execute, i.e., translate that success into a winning plan in terms of accumulating VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.