9 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Thematic description? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Caban
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have found that my girlfriend is able to get more excited about a game when it can be explained in a way that she cares. She wants a description of the story.

Can anyone provide me a link to material or a description in this way? I want to give the best impression possible, but I tend to look at and explain things in a more mechanical sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Coqui wrote:
So I have found that my girlfriend is able to get more excited about a game when it can be explained in a way that she cares.

Not just for games, that's probably just good life advice in general.

p.s. Sorry, I'm not being being helpful about your specific topic. And sorry for being sorry, I'm Canadian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I've typed up all of my session reports in a thematic way, which the players have really enjoyed. There all available in a blog format. Spoilers, of course:

gloomhavenblog.wordpress.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Caban
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes in part! I was looking for a very thematic, story-like way to explain what the game is. Basically an enticing introduction. I may take from this to help me find my hook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Make sure you are both reading the names of your ability cards when you use them.

"Ok, my spellweaver uses fire orbs on these guys over here!"

Also, try to describe what the monsters are doing.

So for an archer card:

Attack +1
Range +1

"So this round, they're taking a few moments to calm down and take more accurate shots!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned in other posts, I really wish the monster ability cards had names on them. We can use our imagination, but it would help keep immersion to have this. But it would have been a ton of extra work on Iaaac's part, so I totally understand why they don't have names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
The story starts when you are playing the game. If you watch vids and read too much stuff, it will spoil it for you. Try to avoid this.

The storyline is branching - you make decisions which can affect the world and story in a big way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Caban
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, I don't want to spoil the game but maybe explain what it is thematically and describe the setting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I basically describe it as "Elder Scrolls: the board game" only with a darker, less generic fantasy setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.