Chimera Station» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter Euro Edition?! What does this mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Link: http://www.gamebrewer.com/product/chimera-station-euro-editi...

Other language versions are usually either produced together with the initial version or together with the second printing of the original language version. Numbers matter and joint production saves costs.

But this seems to be the announcement of another crowdfunding campaign when the first one has just entered the production phase. Very strange. Or does this mean that the TMG version will be delayed because we have to wait until the number of additional backers is known?

I applaud TMG for getting European partners on board, but I think this is the time when they should tell their own KS backers the full story in an official KS update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no mention of this new kickstarter actually being run by TMG on that page link, so I wonder if it's another [European] publisher doing these language-specific versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very strange.
It seems that Game Brewer wants to kickstart a release of their own.
facebook wrote:
Chimera Station (Euro Edition) will be launched on Kickstarter on March, 31st

Previously there was a english version with some german components but not everything translated (announcement).

Does this mean that the whole game will be translated?

Can I change from this to the other KS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
FWIW, it says this on that page:

Quote:
Chimera Station has been succesfully backed on Kickstarter by our partners Tasty Minstrel Games. The Euro Edition will be Kickstarted in February-March 2017. This will help us to decide in which languages we'll translate the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Game Brewer
msg tools
publisher
txnull wrote:
Previously there was a english version with some german components but not everything translated (announcement).

The link is about the US version. We're doing a complete new Kickstarter for the European market, and anything that TMG's doing won't be affected.

txnull wrote:

Yes! More info will follow.

txnull wrote:
Can I change from this to the other KS?

Sorry Alex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chimera Station is far from being language independent. Player boards, tiles, and cards all contain text. Additionally, the TMG campaign was not overwhelmingly successful. I cannot see a fully localized version for other languages at the present point of time. Not unless Chimera Station is published, gets good reviews and sells really well. Otherwise, it will not be economically viable.

Additional rules translations to French/Polish/Dutch/others: yes, possible. TMG seeking European partner in order to reduce unit costs: definitely possible. But this announcement, three month before the scheduled delivery of the original TMG campaign?! That's strange. Very strange. I really hope that there will be an official TMG reaction, either here or (better) in a KS update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Game Brewer
msg tools
publisher
MetalPirate wrote:
Chimera Station is far from being language independent. Player boards, tiles, and cards all contain text.

That's correct. Player boards and tiles will get iconography instead of text. The cards and rulebook will be translated into different languages.

MetalPirate wrote:
But this announcement, three month before the scheduled delivery of the original TMG campaign?! That's strange. Very strange.

Well, we at Game Brewer are a starting company. We currently only have one kickstarter, but we're willing to take some risks and do things out of the ordinary. The most important part for us at the moment, is to provide open and clear communication about our European kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Game Brewer wrote:
txnull wrote:

Yes! More info will follow.

If this is true, then TMG has finally secured their first prize in the category "Best company in angering their own Kickstarter backers". thumbsdown

In the same way as crowdfunding backers rightfully expect to get their games ahead of retail customers (at least those on the same continent), the backers also rightfully expect that there will be not better or more complete version of the game until the KS versions are delivered to the backers. Otherwise, they won't be happy about it and will think twice before backing another project of the same company...

Yes, a game brewer version will probably not contain the deluxe components of the TMG KS version (metal coins, wooden pieces), but I am pretty sure that many backers of the original campaign whose native language is not English would indeed prefer a version in their own language, even non-deluxe, and perhaps only for the reason that this makes it a lot easier to find other players willing to play the game with you.

If this is true, I do not understand TMG. Why do they not realize that this will definitely make some of their European backers angry? Why can't they wait for a few months until licensing their game? They already angered their European backers of ED:Exotica because the Europeans did not get the KS-exclusive game box. They angered their Thief's Market backers with delays in shipping and lack of communication (which admittedly got better towards the end of the campaign). They recently angered their Yokohama Deluxe backers with additional promo content which will not be included (and difficult to get for many non-Americans). TMG produces great games, but their Kickstarter management is desastrous at best. WHY, OH WHY?! They are Kickstarter veterans, they should know better!

EDIT: Good luck to you, Game Brewer! I only criticize TMG for their politics which I simply cannot understand. Crowdfunding is all about a good company-customer relationship, it is about getting devoted fans (see e.g. CMON or Stonemaier Games, just to name two companies with totally opposite, but equally viable strategies). TMG continues to fail here, up to a point where I have serious doubts that they can survive in the overcrowded KS business...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Seuntjens
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me clearify a few things on behalf of Game Brewer (in addition to the replies of Kevin):

- Game Brewer has bought an exclusive license from TMG to localize Chimera Station in Europe. This means Game Brewer will publish Chimera Station in English, probably also in German and French, and hopefully in many other European languages.

- The new Kickstarter campaign will only be organized to determin in which European languages we're going to translate Chimera Station in. The idea is that we'll do a translation in each language we get support for, of at least 100 backers.

- This new Kickstarter campaign is run solely by Game Brewer, with consent of TMG, but completely independent of TMG's campaign. Game Brewer will only Kickstart the retail version, not the deluxe version (with metal coins).

- This campaign will not influence the delivery of TMG's games in any way. The Euro edition of Chimera Station will even be produced in a different factory, in Europe (except for the miniatures).

- Like Kevin said, Game Brewer is a starting publisher and we're very happy to be TMG's partner in Europe for this wonderful game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Euro campaign is online: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/241074871/chimera-stati...

It looks like the game board and pieces are now language independent, the manual and perk cards are translated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calexico calex
msg tools
Hello,

It's not clear in the shipping section of your kickstarter. Do you know if it's only the german version of the game which could be delivered at essen or also other versions (as the french one for example)?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Game Brewer
msg tools
publisher
calexico wrote:
Do you know if it's only the german version of the game which could be delivered at essen or also other versions (as the french one for example)?

All versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a backer of the original "german" kickstarter deluxe version of the game i am really annoyed about the behavier of TMG. We are still waiting for our Kickstarter here in germany and suddenly in KS showed up a real german version which is also cheaper than the original one (dont tell me about the unneeded deluxe content). This is the last TMG game i ever bought and i hope other backers do the same, because this customer treatment is a shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.