Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian Bohlmann
Germany
Hamburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Endure the Stars has many blank spots in my opinion which can be easily filled by self developed rules. One thing that is really missing for me is an experience system for the survivors which offers some other kind of reward than the reward cards that come with the game.

There is no reward for finishing of enemies in the first place. So we thought about a system last time we played the game to change that and give the game a special edge.
First we had to decide about a basic rule to get experience. In this case we just decided that the health value of an enemy equals the experience points (XP) that a survivor gets when he kills it. When a survivor has gathered a specified amount of XP he can use them to pay some rewards.

For 3 XP he can get 1 point of resolve back.
For 5 XP he can make an re-roll of a missed die check.
For 10 XP he can ether get his Crisis Ability once more or he can get another action which enables him to do more in the active round.

This gives the players more choices and a little bit more satisfaction in overcoming enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Campaign rules already offer a mechanic for getting back Resolve at the Refuge - you're suggesting something that gives you earned rewards in the middle of a game, right?

A slight problem with this is the 'virtuous circle'. The more big guns you acquire, the more monsters you kill, the more XP you get, the more advantages you buy.

I'd be inclined to use an XP system to reward something OTHER than killing monsters (which you have to do anyway).

How about XP for

- entering a new block of rooms you haven't entered before
- achieving a mission objective token
- piloting the Exo-Loader for a turn
- using a 1-use Item
- acquiring an Injury
- acquiring a Resolve Effect
- achieving a Goal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Bohlmann
Germany
Hamburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jonathan, your suggestions for acquiring XP Sound good. They don't have anything to do with killing enemies in the first place so you won't be rewarded for the hack and slay part of the game only. But on the other side this is the oldschool way of getting XP and it is sattifying on a basic level, too.
You are right, the refuge is nearly the only way to get resolve back. I think there should be in missions opportunities for getting it back, too.

The game comes with the option to play it as a campaign. But you don't have any option to develop your survivor in the course of it. He doesn't advance in any way and he doesn't learn anything. This I miss very much. And I am wondering why it hasn't been thought of by the designer. It comes so naturally for a dungeon crawler like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
deadmarlowe wrote:
The Campaign rules already offer a mechanic for getting back Resolve at the Refuge - you're suggesting something that gives you earned rewards in the middle of a game, right?

A slight problem with this is the 'virtuous circle'. The more big guns you acquire, the more monsters you kill, the more XP you get, the more advantages you buy.

I'd be inclined to use an XP system to reward something OTHER than killing monsters (which you have to do anyway).

How about XP for

- entering a new block of rooms you haven't entered before
- achieving a mission objective token
- piloting the Exo-Loader for a turn
- using a 1-use Item
- acquiring an Injury
- acquiring a Resolve Effect
- achieving a Goal

This was the whole point of the Accomplishment deck, to encourage players to achieve a goal outside of the regular objective, and I think it works pretty well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Das Problem wrote:
Hi Jonathan, your suggestions for acquiring XP Sound good. They don't have anything to do with killing enemies in the first place so you won't be rewarded for the hack and slay part of the game only. But on the other side this is the oldschool way of getting XP and it is sattifying on a basic level, too.
You are right, the refuge is nearly the only way to get resolve back. I think there should be in missions opportunities for getting it back, too.

The game comes with the option to play it as a campaign. But you don't have any option to develop your survivor in the course of it. He doesn't advance in any way and he doesn't learn anything. This I miss very much. And I am wondering why it hasn't been thought of by the designer. It comes so naturally for a dungeon crawler like this.

It was most certainly thought about by the designer, but levelling up was not included in the game on purpose. This game isn't about improving upon your character, it's about survival. We wanted people to get to the end of a campaign feeling like they barely made it, not like their character became stronger and learned a few new skills along the way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools

Even though I like the xp-less system, maybe getting the character advancement feeling(in campaigns) though increasingly better weapons/items could be a way to go?
I wonder if anyone has tried to cut the item deck for campaign play?
Like simply leaving the most powerfull items out of the deck during the first scenario...or maybe a more advanced deck cutting system, like certain items only apearing in the refuge ect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tullis wrote:

Even though I like the xp-less system, maybe getting the character advancement feeling(in campaigns) though increasingly better weapons/items could be a way to go?
I wonder if anyone has tried to cut the item deck for campaign play?
Like simply leaving the most powerfull items out of the deck during the first scenario...or maybe a more advanced deck cutting system, like certain items only apearing in the refuge ect?

My experience is that you need tougher items to finish any mission and that by the 3rd mission in a campaign most survivors have got the main items they need.

If you look at the Expanded Missions document in the Files section you'll see a different approach to character development that focuses more on roleplaying, inviting players to resolve personal crises and relationships rather than accumulate more guns and kills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.