Popular Tags: [View All]
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I asked a question recently about resetting failed scenarios and I was told that all failed scenarios start from scratch when they are attempted again. What about the personal quests? I can envision a situation where I repeat a difficult scenario 3 or 4 times before beating it, and due to the particular quest I am referring to, I could conceivably be at a point to retire a character before even beating the second scenario of the game. That doesn't seem right to me. So I created a house rule for myself where I only count anything gained toward a personal quest the first time through. I might also do the same thing regarding gold.

Of course no one cares what house rules I incorporate, hell it's my game and I can use it how I want to. But, do the house rules to which I refer affect the game negatively in any way? Would an early retirement of a character be a problem?

Thanks,
albcann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian S
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
An early retirement would not be a problem. Technically you could just play the same class again if you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
albcann wrote:
Hello,

I asked a question recently about resetting failed scenarios and I was told that all failed scenarios start from scratch when they are attempted again. What about the personal quests? I can envision a situation where I repeat a difficult scenario 3 or 4 times before beating it, and due to the particular quest I am referring to, I could conceivably be at a point to retire a character before even beating the second scenario of the game. That doesn't seem right to me. So I created a house rule for myself where I only count anything gained toward a personal quest the first time through. I might also do the same thing regarding gold.

Of course no one cares what house rules I incorporate, hell it's my game and I can use it how I want to. But, do the house rules to which I refer affect the game negatively in any way? Would an early retirement of a character be a problem?

Thanks,
albcann

Early retirement isn't really a problem. It will unlock a class, add some prosperity, open the town record book, and give your next character a free perk. Your next character can be the same or a different class.

Out of curiousity, what quest? You can put it in a spoiler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Responding to David's question ... Personal Quest spoiler and Scenario 2 Spoiler
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Don't have the game in front of me, but it is the quest for 20 elite enemies killed. In scenario 2, with my party of 3, the boss continually spawns elite "Living Bones" since I have 3 in my party. After 3 plays of this scenario, the character has killed 12 elite enemies already.

albcann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
albcann wrote:
Responding to David's question ... Personal Quest spoiler and Scenario 2 Spoiler
Don't have the game in front of me, but it is the quest for 20 elite enemies killed. In scenario 2, with my party of 3, the boss continually spawns elite "Living Bones" since I have 3 in my party. After 3 plays of this scenario, the character has killed 12 elite enemies already.

albcann

Spoiler response:

As long as he's getting the killing blows, this seems fine. It seems like one of the goals that can be achieved pretty quickly, since there elites in most scenarios as far as I know.

But I also see no problem with your house rule if that's what you wanna do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Silva
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note: I did not read your previous question

The rules state that you must retire a character when returning to Gloomhaven. Unless you are in Gloomhaven, my suggestion would be to finish the scenario, part two, before returning to Gloomhaven and then, presumably, return to Gloomhaven to retire the character.

After having a farewell pint, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Madrage1897 wrote:

The rules state that you must retire a character when returning to Gloomhaven. Unless you are in Gloomhaven, my suggestion would be to finish the scenario, part two, before returning to Gloomhaven and then, presumably, return to Gloomhaven to retire the character.

You also can't start any new scenarios with a character which has completed their quest (top of p48).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your rule may not have an impact early in the campaign, but two or three retired characters in you may find yourself taking it back. The reason is because some goals may require you to do things you've already done. In such a case, to make progress on your goal (or, at least, to finally complete it) you might find yourself needing to replay old missions.

Such as, getting "slay 20 bandits or cultists" late in the campaign, where the missions may not involve those guys anymore.

Also, as others noted, unless you are in Gloomhaven, a character isn't even able to retire. So for missions in the world, the situation you worry about won't happen (in which a character retires while attempting a difficult mission many times). The character won't actually retire until you return to Gloomhaven (at which point they must do so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
Madrage1897 wrote:

You also can't start any new scenarios with a character which has completed their quest (top of p48).

I don't believe that rule takes effect until you actually announce retirement, which you can't do until you return to Gloomhaven, so if you don't return, you can repeat the scenario and any other non-completed scenarios so long as you don't return to town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:
countertorque wrote:
Madrage1897 wrote:

I don't believe that rule takes effect until you actually announce retirement, which you can't do until you return to Gloomhaven, so if you don't return, you can repeat the scenario and any other non-completed scenarios so long as you don't return to town.

Here's what it says:
Quote:
Once a character fulfills the conditions of his or her personal quest, the character must announce retirement when he or she returns to Gloomhaven. The character may perform any other town activities beforehand, but he or she cannot play any new scenarios using a character with a fulfilled personal quest. The character has accomplished his or her dreams and has no more motivation to go exploring monster-filled ruins.

I don't agree with your interpretation. It seems pretty clear. But, play how you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It says "when he or she returns to Gloomhaven", which seems clear to me in the opposite direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I read it as "once you announce retirement (which you must do if/when you return to Gloomhaven) then you can not do any more scenarios. Forcing the party to return to Gloomhaven after completing scenario one of a two scenario "mission" (i.e. Scenarios 1 and 2) just so someone can retire is stupid and makes no sense (either in play or thematically).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
It says "when he or she returns to Gloomhaven", which seems clear to me in the opposite direction.

It says city events can be done beforehand, but not scenarios. This means no scenarios before announcing retirement if you have a fulfilled personal quest.

The party is not forced to go to Gloomhaven, but this character will not go on any more scenarios with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

It says city events can be done beforehand, but not scenarios. This means no scenarios before announcing retirement if you have a fulfilled personal quest.

The party is not forced to go to Gloomhaven, but this character will not go on any more scenarios with them.

The part you are referencing on page 48 says this in full:

"Once a character fulfills the conditions of his or her personal quest, the character must announce retirement when he or she returns to Gloomhaven. The character may perform any other town activities beforehand, but he or she cannot play any new scenarios using a character with a fulfilled personal quest."

Note the bolded part. Have you returned to Gloomhaven yet? If not, you don't announce retirement yet. I interpret "cannot play any new scenarios" as explanation of a restriction that applies AFTER you announce retirement.

Note the rest of the same sentence about new scenarios mentions that you may perform town activities. This would be meaningless unless you are already in Gloomhaven, since obviously you can't perform town activities elsewhere. Why would half the sentence apply only once you return to Gloomhaven, and the other half apply instantly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
alphasquid wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

The part you are referencing on page 48 says this in full:

"Once a character fulfills the conditions of his or her personal quest, the character must announce retirement when he or she returns to Gloomhaven. The character may perform any other town activities beforehand, but he or she cannot play any new scenarios using a character with a fulfilled personal quest."

Note the bolded part. Have you returned to Gloomhaven yet? If not, you don't announce retirement yet. I interpret "cannot play any new scenarios" as explanation of a restriction that applies AFTER you announce retirement.

Note the rest of the same sentence about new scenarios mentions that you may perform town activities. This would be meaningless unless you are already in Gloomhaven, since obviously you can't perform town activities elsewhere. Why would half the sentence apply only once you return to Gloomhaven, and the other half apply instantly?

Beforehand refers to before announcing retirement. What else could it refer to? You dont announce it, do things, and then do it. You do things before announcing it, then announce it, and it's done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
Beforehand refers to before announcing retirement. What else could it refer to? You dont announce it, do things, and then do it. You do things before announcing it, then announce it, and it's done.

Are you not in favor of warning your employer with 2 weeks notice when you're quitting, or months ahead of time when you're retiring? That's a pretty common practice of announcing something before you do it.

I think this is consistent with the rules as stated unless Isaac chimes in or someone can provide a rule/FAQ/post citation otherwise:

1. Characters are not in Gloomhaven until they choose to return there.
2. Once in Gloomhaven, a character says, "Farewell party time! I'm retiring! Time for a round at the pub, time to throw all my leftover gold at the temple, time to say goodbye."
3. At this point, the character is no longer allowed to go on scenarios.
4. Once finished throwing money at the temple etc., the character retires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
alphasquid wrote:

Are you not in favor of warning your employer with 2 weeks notice when you're quitting, or months ahead of time when you're retiring? That's a pretty common practice of announcing something before you do it.

I think this is consistent with the rules as stated unless Isaac chimes in or someone can provide a rule/FAQ/post citation otherwise:

2. Once in Gloomhaven, a character says, "Farewell party time! I'm retiring! Time for a round at the pub, time to throw all my leftover gold at the temple, time to say goodbye."

You can think what you want, I think you're wrong. It says right there that a guy with his quest fulfilled has no desire to head into monster filled ruins any longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
alphasquid wrote:

You can think what you want, I think you're wrong. It says right there that a guy with his quest fulfilled has no desire to head into monster filled ruins any longer.

But it does say "new" scenarios, so it is left open that you can repeat the current scenario if you don't return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.