Glory to Rome» Forums » General

Subject: What to include in first game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hey gang, I just snagged a copy of the Black Box edition for less than an arm and a leg (but only slightly!).

For my first learning game should I include the cards from the geek expansion, or stick to the base? Does it make much of difference to game play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you can safely throw those in. Be aware though, there's two different versions you can play (Republica or Imperium).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogtorted wrote:
Hey gang, I just snagged a copy of the Black Box edition for less than an arm and a leg (but only slightly!).

For my first learning game should I include the cards from the geek expansion, or stick to the base? Does it make much of difference to game play?

I'm generally an "expansion person", as by nature, those are much harder to come by and play (like when you have 2 hours, I'd much rather play a 1.5 hour game, vs. some 30 minute game).

However, here, the base game remains excellent. I suppose I may be biased against the expansion cards, but I "grew up" with the base game cards, and they do hold a special place in my gaming heart. Some of the expansion cards are a bit "wonky" and "extreme swingy", even more than some of the top tiered cards in the base game, but TBF, even if this is true with the base game cards, they don't feel THAT extreme.

I would highly recommend not using the suggestions of ignoring building powers. There just seems to be no point in that. It's like putting an extra set of training wheels on. If you want a learning game, just play slower, or with open hands. If for some reason the game exceeds a certain unsatisfactory play time (even then, first game shouldn't exceed 1.5 hours, which is already a highball figure), you could almost opt for an incomplete game as a learning experience.

Also, I would go with Imperial edition. AVOID republic edition! I tried the Republic edition for 6 games... it wasn't THAT awful, but it still got me to say... never again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend not playing with the Plebeian Council cards. I know this game is about imbalance but this one is just too hard to avoid.

I have not played the Imperial cards I have always played the Republic. Now with so many games perhaps I should try it out. We are not much into the "take that" kind of games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Dogtorted wrote:

<snip>

<snip>
I would highly recommend not using the suggestions of ignoring building powers. There just seems to be no point in that.

Totally agree.

ackmondual wrote:

Also, I would go with Imperial edition. AVOID republic edition! I tried the Republic edition for 6 games... it wasn't THAT awful, but it still got me to say... never again!

I don't think it makes that big of a difference. Make sure you only use cards from one or the other - don't play with both. You're so busy with all the mechanisms that the relative powers of the cards and their nuances are going to be lost in play anyway.

We learned on the Republic version, and changed to the Imperium version later. We were expecting a huge difference in the "meanness" of gameplay, but honestly, it felt about the same. The cards just seemed more powerful.

----

My advice would be two things:

1. Play quickly. You'll get the feel for the game after a few games, and there's not much to be gained by really spending time thinking on your first few games.

2. Resign early if you think you're behind. You'll get a lot more out of two or three games, instead of drawing out one game into an hour-long affair. Most of our two-player games take under 30 minutes.

It's best if you're playing with the same group, so they can all get the hang of the game at the same rate.

It's an excellent game at any rate. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started, I used the Republic version, with the promo cards thrown in.

Now that i understand the game a lot better, my preferred way of playing the game is Imperium version, base only. The promo cards add additional playing time, randomness and swingyness. The base game has a lovely tempo that gets disrupted if you just throw all the cards in at the start. The imperium version teaches you the importance of jacks and controlling the pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The same thing you should include in every other game you ever play.

Nothing but the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blowes
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that this is a completely different game when you play 2 player vs 3+ players.

I'd suggest you learn with a larger group than with only 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wakefield Morys-Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Mesa wrote:
The same thing you should include in every other game you ever play.

Nothing but the base set.

Agreed. It's rarely a good idea to include an expansion in your first play on a new game (unless it's necessary for your number of players or fixes a problem ). Glory to Rome is genuinely on of my favourite games and I never played with the BGG expansion cards. I've played the Republic version but far prefer the original Imperial rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.