Popular Tags: [View All]
David Levesque
Canada
Verdun
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question came up a few times in our games, and I could only find partial or indirect answers through a forum search.

Once we reach the objective of a scenario, like killing all ennemies, does the scenario end immediately? Can we continue playing until we exhaust or right before we do? Obviously to collect gold and treasures. Or we have to kite a monster around while we do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenario finishes at the end of the round when the scenario objective is completed. So any characters that haven't had their initiative phase can loot if they can reach any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You finish the round, then you're done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Masterdo wrote:
Or we have to kite a monster around while we do that?

If your goal is to kill enemies, then yes, you gotta kite.

The scenario ends at the end of the round in which you complete your goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterdo wrote:
This question came up a few times in our games, and I could only find partial or indirect answers through a forum search.

Once we reach the objective of a scenario, like killing all ennemies, does the scenario end immediately? Can we continue playing until we exhaust or right before we do? Obviously to collect gold and treasures. Or we have to kite a monster around while we do that?

Rules, p33. It's the first sentence under Finishing a Scenario. It's in bold text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Au
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Masterdo wrote:
Or we have to kite a monster around while we do that?

I had to kite a boss around for one scenario we did so another party member could run and grab the treasure tile; we hate leaving the treasure tiles lying around and doubt we'd go back to do the scenario again just to get it. Of course I pulled the miss card when I went to finish the boss off... would have bombed the whole scenario if I didn't have a couple cards left! Definitely makes for some exciting moments, especially when you don't know what the monsters might do on their round!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the reason for that rule?

Is it a game balance issue?

It makes ZERO sense thematically, I imagine this conversation:

Party Leader "OK we just finished off the BigBad, let's go home."

Party Member "Shouldn't we take a look at this big chest in the corner of the room first."

Party Leader "No. We have to go home now, if we want the chest we can come back another day and open it while we are still fighting monsters."

Party Member "But we just killed all the monsters, there's no one stopping us from opening it now!"

Party Leader "NO! We have to go home NOW!"

Party Member "Ok, I'll just pickup this coin on the floor."

Party Leader "NO! DROP THAT COIN RIGHT NOW! THERE'S NO LOOTING AFTER KILLING!!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. There'd be no reason for loot cards or anything if you could just pick it up afterward.
Balancing the need to pick up treasure with battling the monsters is part of the game. It causes a selfish need amongst the players so you don't play perfectly as a team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Warwolf42 wrote:
What is the reason for that rule?

Is it a game balance issue?

It makes ZERO sense thematically, I imagine this conversation:

Party Leader "OK we just finished off the BigBad, let's go home."

Party Member "Shouldn't we take a look at this big chest in the corner of the room first."

Party Leader "No. We have to go home now, if we want the chest we can come back another day and open it while we are still fighting monsters."

Party Member "But we just killed all the monsters, there's no one stopping us from opening it now!"

Party Leader "NO! We have to go home NOW!"

Party Member "Ok, I'll just pickup this coin on the floor."

Party Leader "NO! DROP THAT COIN RIGHT NOW! THERE'S NO LOOTING AFTER KILLING!!!!"

Yep, it's game balance since otherwise it's "too" easy to get lots of money and treasure, and the "Loot X" cards become less useful. I think the intent is a tension between running out of cards, grabbing treasure, and winning a scenario.

It's hard to justify thematically, so you have to come up with creative answers, like "The party is cursed and more enemies always show up just after they win."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll concede the game play balance but, I personally find it really awkwardly done. It's a big disconnect with the theme in a game drenched with theme.

Now, I have no good solution to offer, it just makes me feel icky gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been plenty of discussion on how this works with the theme under many forum entries. Just search the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Star
msg tools
A good question would actually be:

If you kill the last monster (or complete the objective) but continue to play out the rest of the round...

What happens if the entire party dies/exhausts before the end of the round? Do you have to survive the round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Heisenberg-loot. When the scenario ends, you collapse the wave function and it disappears.

Seriously, while the rule does require a little bit of suspension of disbelief, it makes the game so much more interesting than it would otherwise be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Williams
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I read this in another forum post on this site but the rule was explained as above and the thematic explanation was overwhelming reinforcements arrived at the end of that round forcing your team to retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levesque
Canada
Verdun
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! 13 replies, this forum is crazy active And the rules reference page was super useful. We played it like this actually, getting all the stuff felt way too "free" for what the rest of the game mechanics make you balance in the decisions, just wondered.

It was a strong point of contention in the second scenario, as so far I am the only one that looks at the setup page to setup the first room, try to avoid looking at more than required, and don't show it to other players (no idea if that is advisable..). So I knew how many treasure there were, but they didn't (trying to keep statements vague, to be spoiler free). So we discussed the outcome of scenarios a lot, and I couldn't find the info.

How do you guys handle the setup info? Do you go in with perfect information on the other rooms setup, or try to get the least amount of info out there to the party?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rgstarzinski wrote:

If you kill the last monster (or complete the objective) but continue to play out the rest of the round...

What happens if the entire party dies/exhausts before the end of the round? Do you have to survive the round?

The rulebook states "If all characters become exhausted during a scenario, the scenario is lost.", so if somehow everyone becomes exhausted before the end of the round in which you completed the objective, it seems like you fail before you succeed.

The only way this would be possible is if every remaining character dropped to 0 health after the objective was complete, since exhaustion from card loss happens at the start of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterdo wrote:
How do you guys handle the setup info? Do you go in with perfect information on the other rooms setup, or try to get the least amount of info out there to the party?

There's some discussion in these threads:
Do you set up the entire dungeon at once?
Keeping rest of rooms hidden till revealed - Use of an App?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
MrTroy wrote:
rgstarzinski wrote:

The rulebook states "If all characters become exhausted during a scenario, the scenario is lost.", so if somehow everyone becomes exhausted before the end of the round in which you completed the objective, it seems like you fail before you succeed.

The only way this would be possible is if every remaining character dropped to 0 health after the objective was complete, since exhaustion from card loss happens at the start of the round.

Pretty sure it says in the rulebook somewhere that if you win and lose in the same round, then you actually win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Masterdo wrote:

This is a group decision really. During our first run at a scenario, my group finds it much more fun to have as much hidden info as possible. As the owner, I keep all the monsters and such for other rooms secret, and I try not to look closely at the arrangement of stuff in rooms after the first one.

Other groups study everything in the scenario first, or look ahead to plan how to get into the next room. But we find this much less satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
Pretty sure it says in the rulebook somewhere that if you win and lose in the same round, then you actually win.

Citation? Not in the section on exhaustion, or Finishing a Scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
MrTroy wrote:
alphasquid wrote:

Citation? Not in the section on exhaustion, or Finishing a Scenario.

Can't find it anywhere, so I'm not sure. Maybe it was a rules question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
Masterdo wrote:

This is a group decision really. During our first run at a scenario, my group finds it much more fun to have as much hidden info as possible. As the owner, I keep all the monsters and such for other rooms secret, and I try not to look closely at the arrangement of stuff in rooms after the first one.

Other groups study everything in the scenario first, or look ahead to plan how to get into the next room. But we find this much less satisfying.

I tried it both ways (I play solo--first 2 characters and now 3) and have decided to look at the whole dungeon at the beginning.

My thematic reasoning is that I have a Scoundrel in the party that scouts ahead for the party.

My practical reasoning is that I don't have the time or desire to play each scenario multiple times. Another practical reason is that I found it enjoyable to plot out how I'm going to tackle the whole scenario, even if my plans fall apart half of the time. Maybe when I'm better, or retire the Scoundrel, I will switch back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.