Hide
4 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » General

Subject: A theory about A Feast for Odin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deric Marchand
msg tools
It's only after a couple of games that I began to see the true goal of AFFO. And how Uwe Rosenberg really designed his game. Read the rulebook as many times as you want, you won't find it there. The truth is hidden behind experience, analysis and deep understanding of this masterpiece. Because the true winner is not the one with most victory points : it is the one that finishes with The Moose at the end. Namely, the vikings that have been the less distracted.

AFFO really is about having to guide a bunch of attention-deficit disorder vikings to catch The Moose that's running wild in the north. But your vikings get so easily distracted. So much ADD in their pumping blood. “The sun is setting down, we didn't see The Moose's shadow once during the day, they say, how about building a small boat, set sail on the ocean and go whaling ? That would be a nifty thing to do just before going to bed.” And the game goes on like that. You control ADD vikings and The Moose is a long-term goal. So much distraction all around them. So hard to keep track of the legendary beast with all these raids and hunts to do. These houses to built. These huge islands to discover. And who knows, maybe The Moose is on one of them ?

This is the real way to see the game. Sadly, that is not the one that will make you officialy win it. But fuck the rules. If you finish with The Moose at the seventh round, you know deep down in your heart that you are, without the shadow of a doubt, the true winner. And with all the proud in the world, you show your hard-fought and shiny title. You've become The Moose Catcher. And that values so much more that all the victory points.

Ride The Moose. Have no regrets.

TR;DR : This is essentially a love letter to AFFO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think that it is the same about the lighthouse in FoA ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deric Marchand
msg tools
I didn't play FoA. But I suspect it to be the same : AFFO is a best of all the mechanics of his previous games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree vehemently.
The lighthouse issue in Arle is completely different. For starters, there is no lighthouse. There are two: a winter lighthouse and a summer lighthouse. You will always end the game with a lighthouse. Neither is it clear which is preferable, this is dependent entirely on the course and contents of each match or game. A completely different theory must be devised in regards to the lighthouses of Arle and the meaning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.