Hide
10 Posts

Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » General

Subject: Ridiculous Knight Opening rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve H
msg tools
Hey everyone. I just played a game with the Knight-Goblins-Dragon that got out of hand really quickly. Wanted for people to take a look to see if I messed anything up rules-wise.

Basically, the Knight was able to unlock all of her hero cubes by her second turn. We quit the game at that point, assuming that the Knight would be able to hit the Dragon turns 2-4 to win (we were playing on easy).

Turn 1:

**Knight**
(Begins at exit)
(0 grit, 2 hero cubes)
(Sidequests: Adventurous, Eagle-Eyed, Cunning)

Move 1, Encounter 1
+1 grit (1 total)
Treasure tile (Heroic Boots)

Hero cube 1 on Heroic Boots (1 left)
Hero cube 2 on Perception (0 left)
Move 2, Encounter 2
+1 grit (2)
Event tile (Cave Bread, +1 cube)

Hero cube 3 on Perception (0 left)
Move 3, Encounter 3
+1 grit (3)
Event tile, Vantage Point (reveal 1 tile)
+1 grit (4)
Complete Adventurous, +6 grit (10)
(Draw Daring)
+1 cube

Hero cube 4 on Perception (0 left)
Moves 4-5, Encounter 4
Ambush tile (no attack)
+1 grit (11)
+1 cube

**Goblins**
(Reveal themselves)

**Dragon**
(Spawns on Knight tile)
Runs as far away as possible
Drops Dragon Egg

Turn 2:

**Knight**
(11 grit, 5 hero cubes)

Move 1
(Moves next to Goblin)

Hero cube 1 on Bow (4 left)
Shoot Goblin tribe
Complete Eagle-Eyed, +3 grit (14)
(Draw Intrepid)

Hero cube 2 on Heroic Boots (3 left)
Moves 2-4, Encounter 1
(Moves to Dragon's tile)
+1 grit (15)
Event tile, Deep and Dark
Pixie Lantern, declined, +5 grit (20)
+1 cube
Hero cube 3 on Strength (3 left)
Hero cube 4 on Bomb (2 left)
Attack Dragon
Complete Daring, +4 grit (24)
(Draw Swift)
Collect Dragon Egg, +5 grit (29)
Complete Cunning, +3 grit (32)
+1 cube (all cubes collected)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing stands out as being inaccurate, but that sounds like a perfect storm of good luck.

Boots, Cave Bread, Vantage Point, Pixie Lantern (declined! surprise ), plus three Sidequests that tied in perfectly - Wow!

Unless you're stacking the decks, it's safe to assume things will never go that well for you again.

Just to put things in perspective, here's the exact opposite extreme in a Knight solo game from a pre-production test run. The game ended in death at this point, with a piddly amount of grit earned and nothing notable accomplished:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks fine, but the Dragon should never drop a Dragon Gem on the first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
It looks fine, but the Dragon should never drop a Dragon Gem on the first turn.

Can you elaborate on this?

It's clearly not a rule, since the Dragon *can* drop a gem on any turn.

So why shouldn't the Dragon drop a gem, and how would not doing so have helped in this situation?

Personally, I feel most for the Goblin player who probably took seconds to complete their first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no rule prohibiting it, it's just almost guaranteed to get captured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
There is no rule prohibiting it, it's just almost guaranteed to get captured.

So, not against the rules - just a bad potential play.

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Bates
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
Wow, that was an incredibly lucky opening.
The only thing I can see which you might have done incorrectly ended up being irrelevant due to what happened later in the turn.

When you used the bow to shoot the Goblins, you didn't have any cubes on strength, meaning you wouldn't have been able to hit them since your bow reduces population by strength - 1 (which would have been 0 without extra cubes in strength). But like I said, that was irrelevant because later in the turn you apply an extra cube to strength. It was just the order of operations that should have been different.

Much like Kyle said, I recently had a 2 player KvG game which was the complete opposite of this. Within the first 3 turns I turned over 50% ambush tiles and 50% event tiles, all being rats causing me to go back to 0 grit. Plus later the goblins hit me with the Hex and Poison cards causing me to lose more grit and an action cube to the entrance tile. All of my sidequests would have been unattainable without additional action cubes. The goblins ran away with the game and I only smashed 2 crystals out of the 5 needed before they killed me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Stuket
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did the goblin tribe you shot with the bow have a monster? If so, would that complete Daring? Is a bow shot enough to complete that side quest? Even if your strength is only one and you cause no damage to the tribe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuket wrote:
Did the goblin tribe you shot with the bow have a monster? If so, would that complete Daring? Is a bow shot enough to complete that side quest? Even if your strength is only one and you cause no damage to the tribe?
Daring requires an attack, so a shot with the Bow doesn't count.

The Bow only works for the Eagle-Eyed sidequest, but it has to actually do damage to the target to count. Simply placing a cube on it when there's a visible target nearby isn't enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Stuket
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Stuket wrote:
Daring requires an attack, so a shot with the Bow doesn't count.

The Bow only works for the Eagle-Eyed sidequest, but it has to actually do damage to the target to count. Simply placing a cube on it when there's a visible target nearby isn't enough.

Thanks! Using the bow is not an attack. At least not in game terms. That actually makes sense :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.