United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've moved away from several regions in the past, leaving behind scores of gaming groups. A couple of gamers told me if I ever find myself back in the area, let them know, and we could grab lunch together. No playing board games. Just lunch. While I also cherish a chance to play games, I really do agree with that sentiment... if I catch up with them, I'd much rather leave out gaming so we can focus on chatting, and the meal. I definitely had fun gaming with them, and if I can find myself attending some of those game nights with him, I'll have no qualms with playing with them.

From a board gaming mindset, would these folks be considered "former gamers", or is it really more of a "once a gamer" type mindset?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
From a board gaming mindset, would these folks be considered "former gamers", or is it really more of a "once a gamer" type mindset?

I'm confused by your question... you seem to be proposing a sort of solipsistic concept as if you are the center of gaming, and that if someone is not gaming with YOU, then it somehow means that they are not a gamer (even if they game with other people)...?

I've never played games with you, but I'm pretty sure I'm still considered a gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not totally sure of the value of labeling them, but is it that they are no longer interested in *gaming* or is it that if they saw you for a brief time (presumably on a visit) they'd prefer to spend the time hanging out and talking rather than gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I'm confused by your question... you seem to be proposing a sort of solipsistic concept as if you are the center of gaming, and that if someone is not gaming with YOU, then it somehow means that they are not a gamer (even if they game with other people)...?

I've never played games with you, but I'm pretty sure I'm still considered a gamer.

Pfft, you are clearly a bot.

robotrobotninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Pfft, you are clearly a bot.

robotrobotninja

Yes, but I'm a game-playing bot! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Maybe ackmondual is a brain in a vat, and the Evil Deceiver has told him that we are no longer considered gamers? If so, he does have it on pretty good authority...

I'd say they're still gamers (as long as they play games), but your relationship with them has changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the OP suggesting that "gamers" are not allowed to just go out and have lunch or coffee or whatever? If that's the case, then there isn't a single "gamer" in the entire world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Brookville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm a little confused with the question as well. Based on the post title, it would imply that the person is not fun to play games with. What you wrote maybe is more of the lines of you becoming friends [gasp] with somebody.

My interpretation is a gamer is anybody that plays games. This has nothing to do with their relationship to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

No, not "once a gamer, always a gamer."

It is possible to be a former gamer, but I'm not sure if it applies in your example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cohen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A car is a self-propelled, wheeled motor vehicle used for transportation. If it is parked, and therefor not being used for transportation, is it still a car?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Gaming is a potential option, and you're ok without it. Are you sure *you're* still a gamer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I've moved away from several regions in the past, leaving behind scores of gaming groups. A couple of gamers told me if I ever find myself back in the area, let them know, and we could grab lunch together. No playing board games. Just lunch. While I also cherish a chance to play games, I really do agree with that sentiment... if I catch up with them, I'd much rather leave out gaming so we can focus on chatting, and the meal. I definitely had fun gaming with them, and if I can find myself attending some of those game nights with him, I'll have no qualms with playing with them.

Unless they no longer play games with anyone they are gamers. What they are not is gaming budgies of yours, just buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I would refer to such a person as a Gomer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:

Maybe ackmondual is a brain in a vat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
The question makes no sense to me.

What is a "board gaming mindset", and why does it matter if the arbitrary label "gamer" applies to the people in your post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone's a gamer in my mind. All we are arguing is extent and their poison of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

I play games with friends. I also have lunch with friends. I don't find a dilemma in that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
What about "a friend" or something like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they still play games, they're still gamers. If they stopped playing, they're not gamers anymore. If I actually meet them to play or to do other things doesn't change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my head hurts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I always just referred to those types of people as Friends.

---------

ninja by Razoupaf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what about the cat in the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Is somebody still considered a gamer to you if you'd rather just NOT play games with him?

... and by the way, I interpreted this wording in the subject line as something quite different from the explanation in the body of your post. It seemed aimed at someone you disliked, and perhaps hoped always to avoid..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
GleamingTerrier wrote:
A car is a self-propelled, wheeled motor vehicle used for transportation. If it is parked, and therefor not being used for transportation, is it still a car?

When is a door not a door?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
When is a door not a door?

When it's a prize ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.