1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Amazon seller scam rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Obvious_scam_is_obvious [+] scam_alert [+] [View All]
Brad M
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On Amazon there are all these $9.88 "hot deals" from a seller Valaria Powell, who is in Korea. Surely smells like a scam as this is a new seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
report them to Amazon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those seller will never get a dime from amazon. But if you purchase from them, your money is tied up till the expected date, at which time you can request amazon to issue a refund.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad M
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davidchujr wrote:
Those seller will never get a dime from amazon. But if you purchase from them, your money is tied up till the expected date, at which time you can request amazon to issue a refund.

Okay, I was curious about that. I just wanted to see if anyone had seen this before and verify it was a scam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As these things are cropping up more and more often, it may be useful for someone to make a pinned post detailing how to spot an Amazon scam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
guilty until proven innocent, REPORT THEM! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
substandardtim wrote:
As these things are cropping up more and more often, it may be useful for someone to make a pinned post detailing how to spot an Amazon scam.

As a rule of thumb, if it's a new seller, with a generic "American name," in "Canada," selling a scattering of unrelated random stuff no one wants, along with a currently popular Boardgame at an unbelievably low price = scam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bm6262 wrote:
davidchujr wrote:

Okay, I was curious about that. I just wanted to see if anyone had seen this before and verify it was a scam.

Yup. I have tried these twice in the past. If it is too good to be true, then it is.

However, both times I was able to file a claim with Amazon and get my money back, just have to wait until the expected delivery and file. My first one like this was a black friday weekend when I found copies of Dominion, Arkham Horror, and many others for $1.50 with about $10 shipping each. Yeah, never happened, but I never lost a cent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
guilty until proven innocent, REPORT THEM! devil

Hey, that's how I keep from losing money on KS! laugh

Amazon's good about customer refunds for 3rd party scams and disputes, but I'd recommend avoiding them in the first place. Time-pressure situations like Black Friday, I'd understand, but, eventually, it's the consumer and sellers who pay for all of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nukesniper wrote:
bm6262 wrote:
davidchujr wrote:

Yup. I have tried these twice in the past. If it is too good to be true, then it is.

However, both times I was able to file a claim with Amazon and get my money back, just have to wait until the expected delivery and file. My first one like this was a black friday weekend when I found copies of Dominion, Arkham Horror, and many others for $1.50 with about $10 shipping each. Yeah, never happened, but I never lost a cent.

Just to throw a monkey wench into the conversation, when the first edition of "Mission Red Planet" came out, I found it for $5 shipped on Amazon during the xmas holidays. At the time those were wholesale priced at $22.xx, and it was received within a couple of days, so you never know.
Luckily, Amazon hold all new sellers money for over 30 days until they could verify shipment and no complaints. Established sellers get their money held for at least 7 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
bm6262 wrote:
On Amazon there are all these $9.88 "hot deals" from a seller Valaria Powell, who is in Korea. Surely smells like a scam as this is a new seller.

so why post a scam in "hot deals" this belongs in "discussing retailers" or as a reply to one of the recent amazon scam sellers threads.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417183/what-hot-deal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Smitty
United States
California
flag msg tools
Roll 'Em!
badge
This Avatar has been made using recycled material.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad he posted here. Thanks for the heads up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

so why post a scam in "hot deals"

Because the games are stolen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adil M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They steal your buyer info and sell it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkSeraphim85 wrote:

Whenever it's pointed out that something is in the wrong forum, somebody pops up to say they're glad it was. That's counterproductive. Without some form of organization, how does anyone expect to find what they're looking for in a site filled with such an overwhelming volume of content?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the scam here is actually to harvest people's names and addresses. By purchasing these deals you'll be giving the scammer your contact information even if they don't get your money. It works because people don't think they're putting more than their money at risk when buying from an unknown seller.

Then they'll bundle together people based on their purchase interests and sell their contact information to marketers / spammers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, watch for the contact us before buying in the notes. However, this should be going away soon as it looks like Amazon will be blocking notes on New and Like New conditions (since those are cut and dry by Amazon standards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lam
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Can someone explain to me the benefit the scammer receives by doing these 'sales'? There must be some benefit, otherwise why keep doing it?

My understanding is that Amazon won't pay them the money until a while passes for someone to file a complaint. The odds that someone files a complaint in that time frame is pretty high, so I can't imagine they actually get money out of this, or do they?

Also, is any of your info actually available to the seller beyond your name and address?

I'm actually looking for someone who might know the answers, as opposed to just hypothesizing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
alan581 wrote:
I believe the scam here is actually to harvest people's names and addresses. By purchasing these deals you'll be giving the scammer your contact information even if they don't get your money. It works because people don't think they're putting more than their money at risk when buying from an unknown seller.

Then they'll bundle together people based on their purchase interests and sell their contact information to marketers / spammers.

FYI to all: Amazon does provide sellers the contact phone number you provided them when you registered your account. Amazon does this in part due to increased security and making sure shipping companies have a record of who sent a package and who's receiving it.

Amazon absolutely forbids 3rd party sellers from using the number - a warning is posted at the top of every single order when a seller views individual sales. Not that that would prevent a bad seller from doing something with it. However, if you do ever receive an inappropriate phone call from a seller you can immediately report it and that seller will definitely get into trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
DarkSeraphim85 wrote:

Whenever it's pointed out that something is in the wrong forum, somebody pops up to say they're glad it was. That's counterproductive. Without some form of organization, how does anyone expect to find what they're looking for in a site filled with such an overwhelming volume of content?

I want to know why I can't find more game reviews in the Hot Deals forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
Sphere wrote:
DarkSeraphim85 wrote:

I want to know why I can't find more game reviews in the Hot Deals forums.

You're obviously not looking hard enough.

Plenty of them show up in various threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have Pandemic: Legacy, new, selling for $9.88. Obviously a scam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieberbach
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
They have Pandemic: Legacy, new, selling for $9.88. Obviously a scam.

It's used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bm6262 wrote:

I got this great Geekmail the other day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
yeahbowen wrote:
bm6262 wrote:

I got this great Geekmail the other day.

Sure, make us all jealous of your good fortune. Lucky dog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.