David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the rules sheet, Investigate says this:

Quote:
Some cards say things like “Investigate for an [X] card.” That means “Look at the top two cards of your deck. Reveal an [X] card from among them and draw it. Put the rest of those cards back on the top and/or bottom of your deck in any order.”

When you Investigate, do you have to reveal an [X] card and draw it if you drew one? Or can you put both of the cards on the top and/or bottom of the deck even if an [X] card was there?

For example, let's say that it was Investigate [Tech]. If I draw 2 cards and one of them is [Tech], can I still decide that I don't want it and put it, along with the other card, on the bottom of my deck if I want? Or do I have to reveal it and put it in my hand?

Reading the rules, I would say that I have to reveal it and draw it, because otherwise it would have said, "You may reveal an [X] card from among them and draw it."

But further down on the rules sheet it says:

Quote:
Whether your investigation finds the right kind of card or not, you can still decide which cards go back on the top or bottom of your deck.

So that sounds more like even if I find the right kind of card, I can choose to put it back on the top or bottom of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the cards in front of me, I believe revealing is optional unless otherwise stated. It seems there are Villains that say Inverstigate...Reveal All Cards or something to that effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread, Mark said:

Mark UD OP wrote:
You must choose a card. During any Investigation, if any of the cards match the Investigation you must gain it.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/25216944#25216944
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
In another thread, Mark said:

Mark UD OP wrote:
You must choose a card. During any Investigation, if any of the cards match the Investigation you must gain it.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/25216944#25216944

Thanks, so it's official that you have to reveal and draw it if it matches.

However, that does make me wonder about the intent of saying, "Whether your investigation finds the right kind of card or not, you can still decide which cards go back on the top or bottom of your deck." What is the point of that sentence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find 0 matching cards: you can choose if you want both on the top of your deck, both on the bottom, or one on each side.

If you find 1 matching card: draw it, then choose to put the other on either the top or bottom.

If you find 2 matching cards: choose which to draw, and where to place the other card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
If you find 0 matching cards: you can choose if you want both on the top of your deck, both on the bottom, or one on each side.

If you find 1 matching card: draw it, then choose to put the other on either the top or bottom.

If you find 2 matching cards: choose which to draw, and where to place the other card.

Yes, but that's what "Look at the top two cards of your deck. Reveal an [X] card from among them and draw it. Put the rest of those cards back on the top and/or bottom of your deck in any order," means.

Why did they include a separate bullet point after that that says, "Whether your investigation finds the right kind of card or not, you can still decide which cards go back on the top or bottom of your deck."? If it's just for clarification, it did not work on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's to clarify that even if you find 0 matching cards and failed in your investigation, you can still manipulate the cards you looked at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironman Noir's rare increases all your investigations to three cards so you could have a situation where you draw one card and have two more that you put back on the top or bottom of your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
I think it's to clarify that even if you find 0 matching cards and failed in your investigation, you can still manipulate the cards you looked at.

Mundane wrote:
Ironman Noir's rare increases all your investigations to three cards so you could have a situation where you draw one card and have two more that you put back on the top or bottom of your deck.

But both of these situations actually follow from the original definition of Investigate. No clarification needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, it's already there. But the rules sheets for Legendary usually have some vague rules left up to interpretation, or missing information altogether, so I wouldn't complain for them trying to make sure that a particular point is clear in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
I agree with you, it's already there. But the rules sheets for Legendary usually have some vague rules left up to interpretation, or missing information altogether, so I wouldn't complain for them trying to make sure that a particular point is clear in this case.

Okay, cool. It just made me wonder if I was misunderstanding some other aspect of Investigate, but it sounds like I'm not. Sometimes over-explaining can open up a new can of worms. But I would definitely rather that they over-explain than under.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.