Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Buckmaster
United States
Ada
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have maybe 10 or 15 plays of the game under our belt with varying player counts from three all the way up to five. Something I've noticed is if Aurora doesn't come up and get purchased then all the players end with fairly tight victory point counts. Most games we were just a few victory points away from each other. But Aurora has come up in four games, and in all four games the player that purchased it had 10+ points more than the second-place player, sometimes as much as 20 points more, and Aurora did win that person the game every single time it was purchased. It's gotten so obvious that in my group if Aurora comes up we almost just consider the person who purchased it the winner of the game right there. Has anyone else ran into this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't. By the time the player who purchased it steamrolled, the other player sometimes depleted the victory point pool.

You're lucky to only have a 20 points lead. I've had a 50 points lead one time. And I don't remember but I'm not sure Aurora was involved. There's this card that gives 2 VP per helmet. Coupled with a Stag, it's pretty powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In a game I played I didn't have Aurora and I won by over 20VP and the person with it came second. It takes more than one card, though with the right strategy and luck it could help you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanWheeler wrote:
luck.

That's what this game is about anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Bromfield
msg tools
mb
Razoupaf wrote:
SeanWheeler wrote:
luck.

Disagree from my exp (but that's ok - and I'm more writing this for others who come across this thread rather than saying 'you don't play right' or something - I have no idea how you play or how much luck comes into your games!) Luck might matter only for the first few turns **maybe**, but if you don't get stuck on a strategy and can adapt your deck to what's available it will even out. I think a lot of people can't pinpoint the best archetypes for themselves based on what others are doing rather than trying to force something they think is best (people who have played draft in mtg will get what I'm talking about). For ex. if someone starts picking up very good cards that will let them steamroll/runaway, if you aren't immediately switching to aggressive pushing and scooping up blue vp cards, you're playing wrong, not the victim of luck.

Anyways, can someone remind me what Aurora does? It's been a minute since I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
giltleaf wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
SeanWheeler wrote:
luck.

Disagree from my exp (but that's ok - and I'm more writing this for others who come across this thread rather than saying 'you don't play right' or something - I have no idea how you play or how much luck comes into your games!) Luck might matter only for the first few turns **maybe**, but if you don't get stuck on a strategy and can adapt your deck to what's available it will even out. I think a lot of people can't pinpoint the best archetypes for themselves based on what others are doing rather than trying to force something they think is best (people who have played draft in mtg will get what I'm talking about). For ex. if someone starts picking up very good cards that will let them steamroll/runaway, if you aren't immediately switching to aggressive pushing and scooping up blue vp cards, you're playing wrong, not the victim of luck.

Anyways, can someone remind me what Aurora does? It's been a minute since I've played.

Gives 1 VP per 2 cards in your field.

I'm an M:tG player myself. I stand my ground. And I've won 90% of my Mystic Vale games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Bromfield
msg tools
mb
Razoupaf wrote:
And I've won 90% of my Mystic Vale games

But if you've won 90% of your games, how can it be luck and not the fact that you are doing something right? Or you are just extremely lucky and should start investing instead of playing vale! Haha - enjoy my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.