The Oracle of Delphi» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Weakest Ship ability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabio Baldan
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time I played the game I randomly chose the ship that let you win the game completing one less task. And I really felt like it was the weakest ship so far, I don't see a real benefit from it, since you are gonna be given one less reward (Like a Companion, equipment etc.) What do you guys think?

Also, I wanted to ask something, just to clarify, when I got a companion reward can I choose the color I want to take?Or does it have to be the same color as the player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Davis
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fabio Baldan wrote:
Last time I played the game I randomly chose the ship that let you win the game completing one less task. And I really felt like it was the weakest ship so far, I don't see a real benefit from it, since you are gonna be given one lass reward (Like a Companion, equipment etc.) What do you guys think?

Also, I wanted to ask something, just to clarify, when I got a companion reward can I choose the color I want to take?Or does it have to be the same color as the player?

I also think that ship is fairly weak. The companion you pick will match the color of the raised statue (lower 1/2 of page 6). This also makes it easy to recall which color you have already done (as you can't repeat the same color).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just never choose that ship. Not sure if it is weak, but it is boring. It doesn't give you any special ability, but instead just says "hey, maybe you don't like board games, so I'll make this one shorter for you".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno. I've not played enough times to know, especially as I don't remember that particular ship tile coming out in any of our games - but it's not obvious to me that it's weak. This is a race game - are you seriously trying to say that having to do less than the other players in order to win is not a significant advantage?

And while you get one bonus less - how relevant is the bonus you get from your last completed task, usually? In my experience it is very rarely crucial to the outcome, and often does nothing at all.

Some of the other abilities are powerful, to be sure - and perhaps the "do one less task" tile is indeed among the weaker ones. But I don't see a convincing argument for writing it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I would be careful with claiming it weak without having played enough, especially since "in Feld I trust". Thinking about it, it's not just one less task you have to do, it's the task that You Choose not to do, at any point in the game. Probably will happen to be the last, most difficult task, which means it's better than 1/12, maybe much better. Still I stand by my opinion that this is the most boring ship in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the ship with two armor bonus is least useful. I also don't care for the ship which gives one extra favor token when you get one.

Besides that, there may be two tasks which are very targetable for elimination.. the two offerings colors which all players have to get.. one of them is bound to be difficult to pickup and/or deliver and fits less well with other places you may have to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Davis
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:
at any point in the game.

When we used it, the Zeus title to discard was chosen at game start. ...not at 'any point'. I don't now recall the rules specifying when to apply it. The fact that it does not say "At the start" (as is the case with the equipment/oracle card) would imply 'some other time'. The wording is ambiguous to me, as it says "return it to the box", which does not make sense if applied at the end of the game. Does it actually say "any time" somewhere?

<edited for clarity>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the 'finish 1 task' is (one of) the weakest. You mainly want to use it on the Shrine/Island task since those are the more random, time consuming tasks to complete, and offer a minimum reward. But this task requires no delivery or fighting, so you're only saving yourself a few actions in the long run. And it's a one and done ability. Many others will save you many many actions throughout the game.

In the same ball park as this ship tile is the one from the expansion that lets you 'load one offering' at the game start. That completes half of a task, but at least you get the reward.

dklx3 wrote:
I think the ship with two armor bonus is least useful. I also don't care for the ship which gives one extra favor token when you get one.

Besides that, there may be two tasks which are very targetable for elimination.. the two offerings colors which all players have to get.. one of them is bound to be difficult to pickup and/or deliver and fits less well with other places you may have to go.

I agree that the +1 extra favor is just as weak as the two I mention above. But I think that the shield bonus ship tile is great. There are easy ways to get shields, but to start with two is quite good. You get an early advantage against the titan, and can go after monsters generally sooner than any other.

But...

Regardless of the boat you get, there are enough strategies to allow for anyone to win the race. My last game, the +2 shield person killed all three monsters by turn two, getting great equipment. But the player with the weak 'start with 1 offering' ended up winning the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the jury is still out on the "1 less task" ship. For a while it was undefeated in our circles. However, it doesn't come out often because people tend not to choose it because people wanted to explore the capabilities of the other ships when learning the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately, there are so many decisions to make throughout the game both in what rewards to take, but also what routes to take.. not to mention the luck of the oracle die rolls.. that it would be difficult to isolate any starting ships as definitely worse or better..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
Ultimately, there are so many decisions to make throughout the game both in what rewards to take, but also what routes to take.. not to mention the luck of the oracle die rolls.. that it would be difficult to isolate any starting ships as definitely worse or better..

I agree. Other factors that can change the power of ship tiles are the shape of the board, and the player count. A more linear board, or a board with more dead ends would make the +2 movement ship more powerful than if it was a more circular board. The (arguably best) ship tile that resets used gods to player count level is stronger with more players, and weaker with less players (but still strong).

I always try to value ship tiles by the number of actions they save per game.

Strong ones such as the Gods ship tile can save you up to 3 actions per turn in a four player game, that's huge! But in a two player game it will only save you 1 action per turn.

The +2 move tile has the potential to save you up to 3 actions per turn (though rarely 3 as other actions are done more often). This can be more or less powerful than the gods tile depending on the previously mentioned factors.

Going to back to the OP and the discard a zeus tile ship. This tile will at least save you 2 action (move, flip an island), and at most...hard to say, but I wouldn't think that many. Of course if you have a complicated map, and a required objective that's in a tough location, it could be more useful. Still, I find that throughout the course of the game, other tiles will save you more actions and more time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:
Yeah, I would be careful with claiming it weak without having played enough, especially since "in Feld I trust". Thinking about it, it's not just one less task you have to do, it's the task that You Choose not to do, at any point in the game. Probably will happen to be the last, most difficult task, which means it's better than 1/12, maybe much better. Still I stand by my opinion that this is the most boring ship in the game.
It's not "at any point", you have to decide at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kahan
United States
Annandale
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabio Baldan wrote:
Last time I played the game I randomly chose the ship that let you win the game completing one less task. And I really felt like it was the weakest ship so far, I don't see a real benefit from it, since you are gonna be given one less reward (Like a Companion, equipment etc.) What do you guys think?

I almost always do the "randomly pick x+1 ship tiles and last player chooses first" option for set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.