United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I like big boxes and I can not lie.
badge
Rochester, NY - Willing to Play!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you choose to place the anomaly on the mobile side? I can think of a few fringe cases, but the majority of the time, it seems like the extra discovery tile just isn't worth the risk.

I really like the idea of the wandering "Mass Effect style Reaper ships" warping in out of nowhere and proceeding to destroy humanity, but it has never come up in our playthroughs because nobody ever puts them mobile side up.

Fringe cases:
1) You really want to get the warp nexus and are hoping the anomaly will move out of your way. Actually I don't think this matters since anomalies don't pin ships
2) You sent a ship far across the map near your opponent's territory and you explored the deep warp portal there, far away from your sectors. Which is next to impossible to plan for since you don't know when the deep warp portal tiles will come up
3) It's near the end of the game and you have a bunch of beefed up ships laying around that you can risk in the fight for the discovery tile. But how often do people explore new deep warp tiles this late in the game?

Someone convince me because they're such a cool idea that seems to never get used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gannon Dubay
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess one case might be if the anomaly is near the edge of the map you might hope it wanders off the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the gambler, you explore a hex near to another players space. If they border 3 sides and you only one then odds are in your favor to choose mobile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with OP. I just don't see a real case for the mobile side up except in extremely rare fringe cases... I really don't understand the reasoning behind the way the rules for them were written.

I'm really curious if there was many active side up picks in play-testing or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a beta tester, we did a lot of both. The challenge of an always mobile anomaly is that it unless you make it weak enough to the point of being meaningless, it can easily ruin someone's day.

The sweet spot is knowing when you can handle it but not your neighbor. Choose mobile, hope it ruins your neighbors day but be ready when it comes to you. Even if your neighbor can handle it, it forces actions from them that could otherwise be used elsewhere. If it goes to you, then you lose the actions.

It's not really meant to be uber competitive. It's meant for advanced players who want to shake things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you have a nearby, strong fleet that can immediately jump on it and kill it, you might as well play the mobile side to get 1VP plus the discovery (i.e. 3VP) for killing it. That seems like the only really good reason to play the mobile anomaly (i.e. it is later in the game, you have a couple strong dreadnaughts already, you do a fringe III explore and find a Portal hex, and the dreadnaughts can immediately move into the hex and kill the thing).

Given that it only moves 1 time in 6, and then only moves in a random direction, it seems like putting the mobile anomaly out in hopes that it will move toward your neighbor seems *really* dubious. Especially if the anomaly hates a planet color that is already in the Portal hex. It seems really unlikely that a mobile anomaly will ever move in a way that is advantageous to you (i.e. into a neighbors hex and kill their planet). It seems most likely that the mobile anomaly will either never see play, or see play and instantly get killed for the extra VPs, never getting to live up to its full potential. Sad, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaGannondorf wrote:
I guess one case might be if the anomaly is near the edge of the map you might hope it wanders off the edge.

I just now got home from a game where a player did this and started the game with a great easy hex. He later took on the nexus and took it. Nearly won the game (I had 2 more points) and I know the game much better than him. The risk is worth it most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
UnalignedMagi wrote:
I just now got home from a game where a player did this and started the game with a great easy hex. He later took on the nexus and took it. Nearly won the game (I had 2 more points) and I know the game much better than him. The risk is worth it most of the time.

Heh. I mean, like, it is certainly *possible* that it will wander off the map if you put it on a fringe III hex. But it only moves 1 time in 6. And then it *still* has to go in a direction that is handy (as opposed to deeper into your space). And then if it *does* manage to jump off the map, you still have to go into the Nexus and fight 2-4 more Anomalies (at which point, the one that was in the Portal hex wasn't gonna be a problem to kill).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Entre
msg tools
I might place anomalies as mobile more than I place them as immobile, though other players with me do tend to favor immobile a little more.

To decide whether I play it as mobile or immobile, I usually consider what type of planet it targets. If I have a lot of occupied worlds of that color around it, I'm more likely to place immobile. Otherwise I place it mobile in the hope it will hurt itself and I'll be able to take it out 2-3 turns from placing it for an extra 2VP.

If it was out on a point with only 1 or 2 adjacency, I might actually be more likely to place it immobile since I don't want it to jump off the board before I can defeat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gannon Dubay
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entreri43 wrote:
I might place anomalies as mobile more than I place them as immobile, though other players with me do tend to favor immobile a little more.

To decide whether I play it as mobile or immobile, I usually consider what type of planet it targets. If I have a lot of occupied worlds of that color around it, I'm more likely to place immobile. Otherwise I place it mobile in the hope it will hurt itself and I'll be able to take it out 2-3 turns from placing it for an extra 2VP.

If it was out on a point with only 1 or 2 adjacency, I might actually be more likely to place it immobile since I don't want it to jump off the board before I can defeat it.

This is actually a really good point. If you don't have many/any of the target color planets nearby, letting it wander and weaken itself might be a good idea. Hadn't thought of that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.