Princes of the Renaissance» Forums » General

Subject: 3 hours? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sad that this game takes 3 hours, if it really does (please comment).

This game seems to have some cool elements, somewhat like Imperial, only different. I think my group would love the mechanics of this game.

But it feels to me like you could get almost the same experience from a game like this in 60 to 90 minutes. Why does it take so long? All the auctions?

Is there a way or a variant to make it under 2 hours? Possibilities(?):
- only play to 2 or 3 events per decade
- only play 2 decades
- change some things from auctions to purchases

I just have a lot of doubts that my group would try this game with a 3 hour time on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Martin wrote:
I'm sad that this game takes 3 hours, if it really does (please comment).

This game seems to have some cool elements, somewhat like Imperial, only different. I think my group would love the mechanics of this game.

But it feels to me like you could get almost the same experience from a game like this in 60 to 90 minutes. Why does it take so long? All the auctions?

Is there a way or a variant to make it under 2 hours? Possibilities(?):
- only play to 2 or 3 events per decade
- only play 2 decades
- change some things from auctions to purchases

I just have a lot of doubts that my group would try this game with a 3 hour time on it.

It does take three-ish hours. The game is a bit more old school in style. The game is 15 years old or thereabouts.

I dislike the "Cult of the New" because the games are too short. Play Imperial or SO MANY other games if you fear the game length. Making the game shorter would be just be making the game into a game that is "modern." I think your time could be better spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
3 hours seems legit. I will say that it is an amazingly engaging 3 hours, that flies by. Shortening this game would just cut out some of the pure awesomeness of this game.

Ditch the cult of the new, and go for some old school, subtle and deep strategy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
William and Ken are correct. Although 3 hours can be typical it is the auctions that make it so and the game IS the auctions. I am of course biased but do suggest that it isn't a 3 hour slog that some games are, the time flies by and everybody is usually engaged ('engaged' as in care about the outcome not necessarily bidding on every auction) in most of the auctions.

I hope you and your group can give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Ditch the cult of the new, and go for some old school, subtle and deep strategy!

Not sure if I am part of the cult of the new... On the one hand, I enjoy playing and purchasing several new games each year. But on the other hand, most of my collection is 5+ years old, I've been into games for 4-5 decades (I am 50, but my game group is mostly 17 to 25), and my top 5 favorites of all time include Puerto Rico, Notre Dame and Acquire.

No one directly addressed my suggestions for how to shorten it (other than recommending that we do not shorten it). For example - would my suggestion of only playing some of the events 'wreck' the game? Or would it (in a good way) put pressure on purchasing the ones you want before it's too late?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can fairly confidently say, having played many games, trying to shorten the game artificially would probably not do the experience justice.

Of course any game can be housed ruled in any number of ways. Trying to shorten it would lead to an unsatisfying game I would think. Perhaps a good analogy would be (especially since I am Canadian) playing a hockey game for just one period instead of three...or better yet lop off a quarter in football. The game would be somewhat the same but would be missing something that makes it just right at the length it is.

In response to skipping some of the events I can tell you that removing one or more of them would make it too easy to shorten an era to a point where one or more players who are in a dominant position to hasten the end of the game. This would take a large part of the fun and strategy out of what the game is trying to give the players.

If the time allotment alone is your impediment you may be better served by moving on to something else, but I would be remiss not to remind you that you might be missing out on a really good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Dave Martin wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:

Not sure if I am part of the cult of the new... On the one hand, I enjoy playing and purchasing several new games each year. But on the other hand, most of my collection is 5+ years old, I've been into games for 4-5 decades (I am 50, but my game group is mostly 17 to 25), and my top 5 favorites of all time include Puerto Rico, Notre Dame and Acquire.

No one directly addressed my suggestions for how to shorten it (other than recommending that we do not shorten it). For example - would my suggestion of only playing some of the events 'wreck' the game? Or would it (in a good way) put pressure on purchasing the ones you want before it's too late?

Yes don't shorten it. But do try it - it's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.