Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So my Brute is on his way from level 6 to 7. His Scoundrel partner just retired and became a level 2 triple-arrow. But my personal quest is to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
complete 7 side scenarios >53
. I have only done 3. And I've only found a 4th because
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I felt things
.

At this rate, I'll get to level 9 before I even find enough things to complete my personal quest. We're only playing 2 characters, so we're already unlocking "less" things so which seems to be the best way to play it?


1> Replay the scnearios I've found that can help me qualify. This is the easiest "by the rules" but seems the most grindy and least fun.

2> "Cheat" and lower the number needed for retirment. Then immediately retire after hitting one of them.

3> Play to level 9 and if I haven't unlocked any new areas that I know will help, retire there.

4> Bench the Brute, play a new character, and then when I unlock enough qualifying scenarios, unbench the Brute and retire him. In this case, when do I bench the brute? Now? Level 7, 8 , 9?

I know I'm not the only experiencing this problem because I've seen threads about other quests where people have not found ANY of the things they need to qualify.

So how are people handling this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
You should really spoiler mark that bit about a 4th scenario... we didn't do that yet and you just spoiled me some.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
For your point #1, this doesn't work. They need to be different scenarios.

I'd say bench him for now, like you said, and start something new for a bit. Work towards some other retirement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done Option 4 once and was happy to experience one more starting class (when else would you try them anyway?). Also, I don't think any of the other options are in line with the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules on random dungeons (pg. 50), those can be used for completing personal quests.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
You should really spoiler mark that bit about a 4th scenario... we didn't do that yet and you just spoiled me some.


Yep.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Spoiler tag please.

I suggest option 4. Later in the game that quest will be easier to complete.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 4. I would bench him now so that your new character is at the same level as the triple-arrow character.

Another option, which is against the rules: deal yourself two new personal quests and choose one. Many of us change goals midway through life, why not your character?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:

You should really spoiler mark that bit about a 4th scenario... we didn't do that yet and you just spoiled me some.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
There's no way for someone who
Spoiler (click to reveal)
hasn't found the hidden envelope
to know what I mean and even if they have you're still assuming that I'm referencng that instead of a city event or road event or something. If anything, your comment and my spoilercovered response are MORE of a spoiler than me just saying i'm deserving?

Edit: By making me respond to you, you're confirming your spoiler suspicion. You also don't know if that's the only thing in the envelope or not.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I also don't know how I'm getting killed for saying I felt deserving but I'm the only one yelling at people for telling everyone else about the envelope in the first place.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar situation, and it's a tough one.

I'm tempted to option 4, but then by the rules that's a second 'hand' for the purpose of the "free perks" you earn for retiring characters.

My parter was lucky to have a reasonable first life goal, and her second is also reasonable (at the current rate, we predict she'll retire two characters before I get my first done). We have very different feelings towards the whole life goal thing, and it's definitely reflects our early game experience with it so far...

I feel like some of the 'complete X missions with property Y' should vary X by player count. The one I have, after having compared mission numbers on the board with the scenario flowchart in the files section, looks like it would be way easier with more players as others achieving their life goals would help.

It's to...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Complete 5 missions in Gloomhaven... and we've already locked ourselves out of 4 potential ones because of choices, but a significant portion of them come from personal quests... including my quest itself. Ugh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are desperate for a new character, I'd do #1. You can always level your Triangle while playing, and it will give you a few scenarios to get a good feel for him.

That's what I'd do, but yah.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
If you are desperate for a new character, I'd do #1. You can always level your Triangle while playing, and it will give you a few scenarios to get a good feel for him.

That's what I'd do, but yah.


I did this when pushing for my first retirement. There was a specific scenario and I ran it three more times. It was grindy, and fun the first two times. More of a chore on the third, but it worked.

I didn't end up doing any of the others that way though. I don't regret it, just wouldn't want to do it again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
mournful wrote:
soakman wrote:
If you are desperate for a new character, I'd do #1. You can always level your Triangle while playing, and it will give you a few scenarios to get a good feel for him.

That's what I'd do, but yah.


I did this when pushing for my first retirement. There was a specific scenario and I ran it three more times. It was grindy, and fun the first two times. More of a chore on the third, but it worked.

I didn't end up doing any of the others that way though. I don't regret it, just wouldn't want to do it again.


I believe I've seen Isaac say they need to be different scenarios.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
mournful wrote:
soakman wrote:
If you are desperate for a new character, I'd do #1. You can always level your Triangle while playing, and it will give you a few scenarios to get a good feel for him.

That's what I'd do, but yah.


I did this when pushing for my first retirement. There was a specific scenario and I ran it three more times. It was grindy, and fun the first two times. More of a chore on the third, but it worked.

I didn't end up doing any of the others that way though. I don't regret it, just wouldn't want to do it again.


I believe I've seen Isaac say they need to be different scenarios.


Probably depends on which career goal(s)? I didn't click the spoilers because I don't want to read them. Some goals just require certain types of monsters to be killed for example.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In my mind, I feel my character has a difficult life goal, but then it may be not as bad as I think, but I don't think its a bummer your Brute levels out, if you enjoy the character.... your the mentor to those up and coming adventurers. You will eventually level out, I am pretty sure about that. Yeah you can't play a new character...but is that all bad?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
mournful wrote:
soakman wrote:
If you are desperate for a new character, I'd do #1. You can always level your Triangle while playing, and it will give you a few scenarios to get a good feel for him.

That's what I'd do, but yah.


I did this when pushing for my first retirement. There was a specific scenario and I ran it three more times. It was grindy, and fun the first two times. More of a chore on the third, but it worked.

I didn't end up doing any of the others that way though. I don't regret it, just wouldn't want to do it again.


I believe I've seen Isaac say they need to be different scenarios.


It wasn't that kind of quest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Senser
United States
Oak Park
IL
flag msg tools
Yes they do.
badge
This isn't my dog.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
I'm in a similar situation, and it's a tough one.

I'm tempted to option 4, but then by the rules that's a second 'hand' for the purpose of the "free perks" you earn for retiring characters.

My parter was lucky to have a reasonable first life goal, and her second is also reasonable (at the current rate, we predict she'll retire two characters before I get my first done). We have very different feelings towards the whole life goal thing, and it's definitely reflects our early game experience with it so far...

I feel like some of the 'complete X missions with property Y' should vary X by player count. The one I have, after having compared mission numbers on the board with the scenario flowchart in the files section, looks like it would be way easier with more players as others achieving their life goals would help.

It's to...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Complete 5 missions in Gloomhaven... and we've already locked ourselves out of 4 potential ones because of choices, but a significant portion of them come from personal quests... including my quest itself. Ugh.


You can play the levels you're locked out of in casual mode and it will count for your personal goal.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomburrito wrote:
Candi wrote:
I'm in a similar situation, and it's a tough one.

I'm tempted to option 4, but then by the rules that's a second 'hand' for the purpose of the "free perks" you earn for retiring characters.

My parter was lucky to have a reasonable first life goal, and her second is also reasonable (at the current rate, we predict she'll retire two characters before I get my first done). We have very different feelings towards the whole life goal thing, and it's definitely reflects our early game experience with it so far...

I feel like some of the 'complete X missions with property Y' should vary X by player count. The one I have, after having compared mission numbers on the board with the scenario flowchart in the files section, looks like it would be way easier with more players as others achieving their life goals would help.

It's to...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Complete 5 missions in Gloomhaven... and we've already locked ourselves out of 4 potential ones because of choices, but a significant portion of them come from personal quests... including my quest itself. Ugh.


You can play the levels you're locked out of in casual mode and it will count for your personal goal.


It's not advised to play scenarios in casual mode that you haven't played in campaign mode yet, but the rules as written don't rule it out entirely. The scenarios still have to have been stickered on the board however.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
It's not advised to play scenarios in casual mode that you haven't played in campaign mode yet, but the rules as written don't rule it out entirely. The scenarios still have to have been stickered on the board however.



Haven't played YET is however not really possible for scenarios that are simply blocked out by decisions you made. That would simply mean you never get to play them at all because you can't just undo an achievement.

I personally have a similar thing with my Spellweaver right now. She wants to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
kill 20 vermlings, but is stuck since around level 4 or 5 on 19 as we didn't ever run into any of them again since then

and I'm trying to stick to not replaying scenarios that I won unless I know it can't be done otherwise, because the game is huge as it is contentwise, so why not have it come to you naturally.

That is until she now is 20 XP from reaching level 9 and one of her companions that actually replaced a retired character is about to retire already soon(for the second time for that "player", which is actually also me, because that's my solo game, but it's Me No.1, while Me No.2 is still the Spellweaver )

So I was debating whether to go with benching her and bringing her back in, when the others tell her they found a type of mission she might be interested in or finally do replay a scenario. But now I'm actually almost decided on simply sending her on one that was locked out for my party as a casual mission. That way she won't have to sit around and start knitting or something, while some new heroes get their shot, but I also won't have to replay some old scenario.

In the specific case of the topic creator I guess that's not as easily possible, so I guess I would go with option 4 and just keep him as long as he feels like it's fun and then bring him back when it's time for him.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
I say bench the Brute and start another character. I'm playing both solo and with 1 other person. I have 3 characters, and choose which ones to play based on their personal goal. 2 of them required completing objectives in certain locations, so those characters only get pulled out for certain missions, or when I'm playing solo.

Just say your brute got sick, and called one of his old college room mates to come by and help out while he recovers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:
soakman wrote:
It's not advised to play scenarios in casual mode that you haven't played in campaign mode yet, but the rules as written don't rule it out entirely. The scenarios still have to have been stickered on the board however.



Haven't played YET is however not really possible for scenarios that are simply blocked out by decisions you made. That would simply mean you never get to play them at all because you can't just undo an achievement.

I personally have a similar thing with my Spellweaver right now. She wants to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
kill 20 vermlings, but is stuck since around level 4 or 5 on 19 as we didn't ever run into any of them again since then

and I'm trying to stick to not replaying scenarios that I won unless I know it can't be done otherwise, because the game is huge as it is contentwise, so why not have it come to you naturally.

That is until she now is 20 XP from reaching level 9 and one of her companions that actually replaced a retired character is about to retire already soon(for the second time for that "player", which is actually also me, because that's my solo game, but it's Me No.1, while Me No.2 is still the Spellweaver )

So I was debating whether to go with benching her and bringing her back in, when the others tell her they found a type of mission she might be interested in or finally do replay a scenario. But now I'm actually almost decided on simply sending her on one that was locked out for my party as a casual mission. That way she won't have to sit around and start knitting or something, while some new heroes get their shot, but I also won't have to replay some old scenario.

In the specific case of the topic creator I guess that's not as easily possible, so I guess I would go with option 4 and just keep him as long as he feels like it's fun and then bring him back when it's time for him.


I think the main reason why you are advised not to do unplayed scenarios in casual mode is that there are treasures that you would otherwise be unable to open in those scenarios. Casual mode lets you ignore achievement requirements, but you can still pick up chests in those scenarios. This is just a guess, but I think the idea is that specific items might be tied to certain scenarios and if you can get the items in them without having to have made a crucial decision, part of the reward for making that choice is yours in addition to whatever resulted from making the choice you actually made.

Either way, it's not entirely prohibited. The rule just say that it is highly advised against doing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.