Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools

This is a game I've been working on for about a year. The premise of the game is that everyone lives in a major city and is trying to avoid being priced out when their neighborhood starts to become trendy and cool.

Players get to play as Tenants, Landlords, and Squatters, all of which have different goals in the game.

It is meant to be a funny, satirical card game.

The game uses 81 cards and one 6 sided die.

Please let me know what you think of the game! I've gotten great feedback from people in my own game groups, but would love to get notes from people I don't know personally.

Cards: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4hD9ms_ksk0MkQzTkItMjhmRT...

Rules: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4hD9ms_ksk0VDE5eVloOHpNa0...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have a look at it this weekend and tell you what I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Wonderful, thank you! Definitely want to make sure the rules are clear and the game plays well when I'm not there to explain. Any notes are very much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Sorry it took so long. I have been very busy. I looked over the rules and have some thoughts, I hope they are helpful.

Before I say anything about what I would change, I wanted to say that I like how you let players stay in the game. If someone is eliminated, they can still win. I like the idea that their objective changes. It fits very well thematically.

---

OK, the changes...

Add an overview at the Beginning of the rule book

It gives players a frame of reference for what they are doing, how they can win, and what all the terminology means. I found myself a bit confused as I was reading.

The "Starting" Section (#2)

Does each player roll the die, or is it just one? At first I thought it was just one (shared level of rent) but then I read the rule about person with the most rent goes 1st and I was confused. Please clarify.

Your Turn

- How many of these actions can I do? Can I do one? Can I do all? If so, what order can I do them in?
- #3. This is small, but I would change it to say "card(s)" assuming that you can draw more than one.

Special Play Immediately

Do I draw to replace these? You mentioned not drawing again for the cards you play out of turn, but there is no mention here.

Role Cards

Seemed to be a typo: "...and keeps it secret."

-----

As I mentioned before it is a bit hard to understand the flow of the game without an overview. I had to look the word "gentrification" up. I might suggest putting the definition in your rule book so that people know what it means.

Also, from a thematic standpoint, I MIGHT suggest changing the word "rent" to something like "retail/house value." I kept thinking that I was going to need to pay rent at some point and I didn't see that in the rules.

Other Suggestions

- Have a way for players to track rent. I could be wrong, but right now it looks like you need to have a pen and paper (not included with the "what you need to play" list.
- Maybe put an illustration or just a picture of the set up at the beginning. I don't think this game really needs it, but as a playtester it is always nice just to make sure that you have everything set up correctly.
- From reading the rule book, it appears that the game could HYPOTHETICALLY go on forever (I have the same issues with games like "Bang!" where there is not a finite ending point). Obviously if someone becomes a squatter, this changes, but unless everyone dog-piles another person, it seems like a possibility.
- Maybe have a "government raises taxes" card.

---

I didn't actually sit down and play, so take what I said with a grain of salt. I think your game has potential. Though the theme could be a bit divisive, it seems to be done in a fun way (at least the rules make it sound that way. I have not read all the cards.) Careful though, Marvel comics has had a hard time the last few years, because of the social commentary stuff they tried to sell. Not saying that your game is the same, but it is something to look out for.

I wish you the best. Good luck with your design.

God Bless,
Wayne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
These are fantastic notes! I will review them carefully over the weekend and try out some new rules next time I play.

The biggest complaint I got from previous play testers was that they hate player elimination, so I'm hoping the Squatter role solves that for people.

Again, thank you. This is very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to type this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.