Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Conjurer + Bard + Staff of the wild rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kertanos
France
Florida
flag msg tools
I asked this on the shadow of nerekall forum, but i guess i have a better chance of a quick response here ^^

So i want to make sure we are playing this right.
We are in a two player road to legends campaign, with a conjurer and a bard.

The bard always keep the harmony effect of understudy going, so that everytime someone recover fatigue it recovers one more.

The conjurer is equipped with a staff of the wild and a ring of power (5+1 endurance)

She starts her turn with 0 fatigue.
Place 3 images token = 3 fatigue (0+1+2)
Use first action to fire with prismatic assault for 3 attacks with blue+yellow+3 green (thanks to Many friends bonus green die)
Now at 6 fatigue
Each attacks allow to recover 1 fatigue with the staff and 1 with the basic surge effect. So up to 4 fatigue recovered per attack thanks to understudy.
Means she generally gets to kill at least 2 guys + go down to 0 fatigue.

Still has 1 action and one free attack (2 player game) to use, so she can moves using fatigue a bit to reposition herself up to 6 movement (staying in bards range), then do 2 attacks to kill 1 or 2 more and recovers almost all fatigue.
Deletes images from play to avoid getting fatigued and/or damaged and proceed to next turn

That seems kinda broken to me. Am I missing something ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, that sounds about right. You're just exploiting the combo of a "once per attack" limited event (surge fatigue recovery) with the conjurer's uncanny ability to perform lots of attacks via a 3XP skill and your two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kertanos
France
Florida
flag msg tools
Ok well we'll see how it goes on.
Thanks for the answer !

Tonight she just one shotted a boss.
33 damage + poison + disease + stun + curse in one turn with 6 total attacks (1 + 1free + 4 images, started turn with no images and 2 fatigue)

I wouldn't like to be an OL with that kind of power to face. Though i guess there is ways to counter that, we just didn't play a lot with OL ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
kertanos wrote:

That seems kinda broken to me. Am I missing something ?

There's a rule in the PDF for the Road to Legend app that states:

"When a hero performs an attack that targets or affects multiple monsters,
the monsters gain an additional advantage during the “Deal Damage”
step. Choose 1 monster to which you will deal damage first and resolve
the step as normal. Then halve the (heart symbol) results (rounded up), and apply that value to each of the additional monsters, before applying (heart symbol). This rule applies to attacks with Blast but also actions such as “Whirlwind,” “Army of Death,” and Leoric of the Book’s Heroic Feat.""

Now technically Prismatic Assault's effect generates separate attacks so you can argue it shouldn't be covered by the above rule, but let's be honest here, this is the kind of power that the multi-attack rule is specifically designed to mitigate. It's clearly as good or better than any of the specific attacks mentioned despite the additional strain cost so I think it's clear that any attacks after the first should be half damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Attack (singular) that affects multiple monsters: Half damage against all but the main target.

Multiple separate attack rolls and damage effects: Do not halve damage.

Prismatic Assault is not subject to the multiple targets rule.

(At least, not by rules as written. You can say it is affected if you really want to for your playing of RTL)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.