Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently have several metallic paints from Citadel and they are great. So great I'm thinking of acquiring all the ones the ones they have. I feel that one of the advantages of buying a range of Citadel paints is that they have different shades of the same color for easy highlighting.

Before I do that (and blow a whole wad of cash), can anyone tell me about other metallic paints they've used? I'm considering some Vallejo or Army Painter paints.

Also, I don't exclusively use Citadel; I'm just sold on them for certain things like metals and whites because the quality is good. The reason I like the GW metallics is because of the consistency, which is much better than regular craft metallics.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dakka's a good place to ask this. https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/forums/show/8.page
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/709362.page
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/jforum.page?module=sea...

As is Reaper, which mentions Vallejo's metallic paint.
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/44579-painting-...

I've read good things about Vallejo's alcohol-based metallic paint, but it's more work than I'd like to do. Search on "vallejo metallic paint review".
http://www.youmagnificentbastards.com/2014/11/vallejo-liquid...

Is this for display or tabletop? I paint to advanced tabletop, so, for generic fantasy armor, primarily use Army Painter Gun Metal (good flow) mixed with black, followed by unmixed metallic. Craft paint metallics I've used with drybrushing, but I don't do that anymore. I figure I'll use Vallejo Metal Medium for the odd colored metal. I've been using Reaper's Gold Triad (Bronze, Antique Gold, and New Gold), and I guess I'd say it works, but let me know what gold paints you like for army and boardgame painting!

Let me know what you find out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not like the metallics from Vallejo's Game Color line, haven't tried their other offerings.
For silver colors I like Army Painter's Gun Metal and Plate Mail Metal, whereas for gold the new paints from Citadel are the best I've tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Is this for display or tabletop? I paint to advanced tabletop, so, for generic fantasy armor, primarily use Army Painter Gun Metal (good flow) mixed with black, followed by unmixed metallic. Craft paint metallics I've used with drybrushing, but I don't do that anymore. I figure I'll use Vallejo Metal Medium for the odd colored metal. I've been using Reaper's Gold Triad (Bronze, Antique Gold, and New Gold), and I guess I'd say it works, but let me know what gold paints you like for army and boardgame painting!

Let me know what you find out!

Thanks! This is for table top, I understand the difference between table top and display, but don't know how advanced you mean by advanced. Is there a chart somewhere, because that would be awesome! If I had to say, I paint a little higher than table top, but definitely not advanced.

Thank you for all the resources! I'll have to spend some time looking at these. I tallied up all the metallic paints I would buy from Citadel and it turned out to be $70, so hopefully this will save me some money.

I don't have a favorite gold yet, but I'll let you know when I do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skippy668 wrote:
I did not like the metallics from Vallejo's Game Color line, haven't tried their other offerings.
For silver colors I like Army Painter's Gun Metal and Plate Mail Metal, whereas for gold the new paints from Citadel are the best I've tried.

I've only used Vallejo washes and think they are great.
I've never tried anything from Army Painter, but all I've heard are good things. Thanks for contributing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade C.
United States
CAPE GIRARDEAU
MO - Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used metallic paint from Vallejo (not the alcohol-based ones mentioned above), Army Painter, and P3, and they've all been pretty good. Vallejo's tend to be thicker and don't always thin as well in my experience, but they're still good. The only one that I haven't had any luck with was Vallejo's Silver, but all their others were fine. I've never used Citadel (nowhere around me carries it) so I can't directly compare them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wadeithan wrote:
I've used metallic paint from Vallejo (not the alcohol-based ones mentioned above), Army Painter, and P3, and they've all been pretty good. Vallejo's tend to be thicker and don't always thin as well in my experience, but they're still good. The only one that I haven't had any luck with was Vallejo's Silver, but all their others were fine. I've never used Citadel (nowhere around me carries it) so I can't directly compare them.

Which Vallejo line? I hear that Vallejo Game Color is best avoided, and to use Vallejo Air. The alcohol-based ones are Vallejo Liquid.

Quote:
This is for table top, I understand the difference between table top and display, but don't know how advanced you mean by advanced.

It'll vary among painters, but I roughly define tabletop as basecoat and maybe a wash. At the tabletop level, most highlights are a waste of time since the models will be a few feet away, and details will be impossible to see. Advanced tabletop would include pupils in eyes, metallic reflections, and other details which nobody's going to notice unless the miniature is held up a few inches away. I call it "for gamers who push their miniatures around the table with their nose". Display's for entering contests, not viewing. Some display painters take a month to paint a single miniature!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Citadel Metallic are the best ones that are easily available and water soluble.

The best ones period are the Alcohol or Enamel based Tamiya colors for military models like tanks, etc.

They don't make a crazy line of golds like Citadel does, but the other colors are fantastic. You can tint them fairly easily with other colors as well.

The Tamiya Enamels are tough to find consistently in the US though.

Tower Hobbies carries most of the Alcohol based.

Forgot to mention that the Coat d'Arms stuff is all great - same as the original GW stuff from the 80s and 90s, this is my personal favorite line of paints, especially for historical colors and WW2 stuff.

Other serious contenders are Humbrol and Revell. It seems that Enamel is still the way if a metal look really matters.

For
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Freelance Police, well I guess I paint advanced then. I do a couple highlights and am just starting to do eyes. I paint any detail that is there, no matter how small. I use a magnifier when I paint.

@John, I looked at Coat d'Arms yesterday, but it's hard to find in the US. Do you have a line on somewhere to buy that isn't outrageous?

Right now I'm thinking of picking up P3's Solid Gold, Blighted Gold and Rhulic Gold.

Since I already have Leadbelcher and Runefang Steel from GW I'll buy Stormhost Silver to round out that set. I'm also thinking of getting Hashut Copper and Fulgurite Copper too. I've seen some paint jobs with them and now I've got some great ideas for the HK Droids from Imperial Assault.

GW also has several brass paints, but there's only difference in shades and even though I have Brass Scorpion, i'm going to forgo Runelord and Skull Crusher Brass.

So, 6 paints in all. I was originally just thinking of completing the GW metals, but that would have been 14 paints for around $70. Now I'm looking at more like $20.

One thing I've learned from this is that GW paints are marketed extremely well and that's why people feel like they have to have them. I feel like it's a quality product, but the cost compared to others is ridiculous. I can pick them up at Hobbytown USA for $4.25, which is the cheapest, other places have them for $5-6. In the end it's about knowing how to use your paints, some are better than others. I mainly use craft paints that are cheap, but I know how to use them and get the results I want.

Thanks for the conversation everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade C.
United States
CAPE GIRARDEAU
MO - Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
wadeithan wrote:

Which Vallejo line? I hear that Vallejo Game Color is best avoided, and to use Vallejo Air. The alcohol-based ones are Vallejo Liquid.

This was from the Model Color line, which I believe is largely similar to the Game Color ones. I still prefer Army Painter or P3 metallics to the Vallejo ones, but the only Vallejo one I've used that was terrible was the silver one I mentioned above. The metallic pigments were all clumped together and it was just a mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coat d' Arms is available from Scale Creep in the US. $2.75 a pot. And they are the old 18ml flip top pots, just like the old Citadel.

The sets are a good buy, as the paints are $2.45 that way.

The Horse Tone once is awesome...for horses.

The medieval is a really good selection.

Lots of things fall out of stock with them though, yo need to email them sometimes to tell them you want a color reordered.

http://www.scalecreep.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=2501_2502

The GW Typhus Corrosion is really nice on brass and coppers. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Coat d' Arms is available from Scale Creep in the US. $2.75 a pot. And they are the old 18ml flip top pots, just like the old Citadel.

The sets are a good buy, as the paints are $2.45 that way.

The Horse Tone once is awesome...for horses.

The medieval is a really good selection.

Lots of things fall out of stock with them though, yo need to email them sometimes to tell them you want a color reordered.

http://www.scalecreep.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=2501_2502

The GW Typhus Corrosion is really nice on brass and coppers. Highly recommended.

Thanks! I'll check the site out!

Typhus Corrosion looks really cool, I have several GW technicals and I'm very pleased with them. You can make awesome effects really easily with them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no law on ceres.... just cops.
badge
i keep warning you. doors and corners, kid. that's where they get you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Army Painter paints, and the silver and bronze tones are excellent. The gold paint, on the other hand, is pretty much garbage. Super runny, color doesn't really apply, and overall just very bad.

The silver / plate / gunmetal / bronze are all really good though. Goes on smooth and looks good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So now I'm rethinking this. Coat d'Arms doesn't have the range of metals that I'm looking for; it would be great if I was buying basic colors, I'll def keep that site in mind!

I was going to order some P3's from Miniature Market, but the shipping would be $6. If I ordered 6 it is going to end up costing me just about the same, but I'll get more paint in the end. I like GW, but now I'm just feeling forced to buy it because I'm trying to keep this part of the hobby from burning a hole in my wallet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.