Subject: Can you ever reduce your own bonus in any way? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Piefer "Luke Luke The Orange"

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
mbmb
I've seen some conflicting theories to some related questions here and I would like to resolve them in one place. The question pertains to partial activation and/or reduced bonuses. This can come up in multiple situations.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1696121/activating-characte...

[thread=https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1613763/activating-characte...][/thread]

I know you can take less than the value your costume mistress or set dresser allows. Can this include value of 0? In other words, can you use an actor who has a different activation bonus (ambiance or a quill) and a small element bonus without taking any element?

If so, are there any other bonuses you can skip? One of the above threads says yes, bu I suspect that's false. The other one says partial activation is okay, but only covers the case of not using the element bonus.

This would most commonly come up if you don't want to move ambiance forward because you want the coin more than the more advanced bonuses. A coin can be worth two points if it makes the difference in paying an actor.

I could see this being a question in costumes as well. If your only option is an 8-point costume because there are no smaller elements available, but you'd rather have 2 coins, can you just take the lower bonus from a 6-7 point costume? It doesn't seem that the rules allow this, but at the same time it would feel "fair" in the sense that it seems weird to punish success by making you take a "better" bonus that's actually worse.

Lastly, this is not related but I'm not sure it's been resolved. Do you get the point for winning a tie-breaker for fewest cylinders? It seems a little over-powered in the sense that you don't really need to be compensated for taking fewer actions and it's essentially a random event for ties in turn 1. You can get ahead by sheer luck and stay ahead just by the inertia of taking the same number of actions each turn, and that's 6 points! Points are very hard to come by, and that forces the opponent to sacrifice an action by wagering low in order to break that inertia. The very slight disadvantage of being the last person to draft a card during set-up is well worth it if you have that kind of leverage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to take the whole reward. It's not a punishment it just forces you to be more strategic.

As to the tie-breaker, yeah you still get the point but the way to combat that is just activate an actor before your opponent next round to claim initiative so you can win the next tie.

There are elements of the expansion that address your second concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Piefer "Luke Luke The Orange"

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
mbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to take the whole reward. It's not a punishment it just forces you to be more strategic.

As to the tie-breaker, yeah you still get the point but the way to combat that is just activate an actor before your opponent next round to claim initiative so you can win the next tie.

There are elements of the expansion that address your second concern.

I think you're right on all counts but I saw some threads where these misconceptions weren't addressed so I thought I'd bring it up. It would be great if these forums could be cleaned up a little to eliminate redundant and incorrect threads.

I understand how to get initiative back. However, the original first player can just activate an actor first every time. Does the disadvantage of never doing anything else first negate that? I suppose sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, but if you can ultimately force your opponent(s) to under-bid at least once to prevent you from getting 6 easy points, or even just activate an actor when recruitment and elements are more urgent, that seems like a really big unearned advantage in a game where you rarely score much more than 25 and can't have more than 28 actions, if that.

I have the expansion and haven't read the rules yet, but I can't wait to try it now! The variant where the rest phase is resolved in order of initiative could be a nice counter-balance as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.