Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Turpin
United Kingdom
Bar Hill
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can an order be written so as to move a command to a location (where it deploys) and then to attack an objective location and how would the mechanics of this work.

My understanding is that the following occurs.

1) the army leader makes a command roll and if passed writes the order. The delivery time is then calculated.

2) On the turn the order is delivered the receiving command leader makes a command roll to see if he acts upon the order and if passed the order starts to execute.

Now it is here that the order is reissued to the divisional commanders who need to pass their command rolls before they can execute the order or as the first part of the order is to move (which doesn’t require reissue) the movement starts with the attack element of the order requiring the divisional leaders to pass their command rolls before the attack goes in following deployment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Each order can only be either an Attack or a Move order. You cannot combine the two. Thus, you have to write your Move order, move the troops there, deploy, and then write an Attack order.

- make command roll with the army leader
- once it passes, write the Move order
- after a delay, the command leader (usually corps) does a command roll to accept the order.
- once it passes, begin the Move order (units change to column/limbered)
- when the command arrives, deploy
- make a command roll with the army leader
- once it passes, write the Attack order
- after delay, pass to the corps leader for command roll
- once accepted, pass to division leaders for command rolls
- once accepted, begin attack
- remember that fluke stoppage can happen on the same turn that an attack begins (i.e. right after the successful command roll)

You can time things so that you write the Attack order before the command arrives at their Move destination and the order arrives once they've started deploying. Also note that if it's a short distance, you can use an Attack order to make the command move without having to switch into column/limbered formation.

Have fun! I'm currently at 7:45am on July 2 in the mini-campaign, myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turpin
United Kingdom
Bar Hill
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Brandon, that explains things nicely.

Is there any ruling on how long the "short distance" move is limited to fo an attack order?

On the timing of subsequent orders. Is the original move order considered fulfilled when the command reaches the move destination or when all units of the command have completed their deployment around that destination?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Essig
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
There is no 'short distance' boundary on Attack Orders. I used the phrase 'short distance' in the rule merely because the clock is ticking on an Attack Order _right away_ for Fluke Stoppage.

If you need to go a long way across the map, you might be better off issuing a Move order to get to the assembly point and then an Attack order for the actual attack.

Doing it that way might be more efficient than having multiple fluke stoppages and recoveries (it's been done) as you try to move a long way to get ready for the real attack... and, depending on the freshness of the formations and the quality of the commanders, you might show up at the start line short some troops.

I did that in an LCV game with Hill's Corps moving from the Chambersburg Pike to attack near the Peach Orchard. Pender fluked and recovered several times on the way there, Anderson wasn't so lucky. When Pender went into the attack, Anderson was way too far back to help.

As to when a Move Order terminates, I consider the deployment of the force after getting to the objective in the Move Order to be _after_ the Move Order has been fulfilled (just like when you use initiative to call an end to a Move Order and start deploying). Makes it consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turpin
United Kingdom
Bar Hill
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dean, I was forgetting about the Fluke Stoppage roll on attack orders. You wouldn't want this occuring and fracturing the movement of your command if you had to travel any great distance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turpin
United Kingdom
Bar Hill
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a move order destination has been subsequently occupied by the enemy during the time period the move order was issued and it being fulfilled, can the leader of the moving command under the initiative ruling order a new destination location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Sutton
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10.10b, case 2, strictly prohibits changing the move destination, so unless the game specific rules allow broader use of initiative, you would be limited to deploying to get out of column at a safe distance and assume a defensive position. IF the initiative roll fails, you could end up marching into a buzzsaw!

If the command deploys, it would need to get new orders from the army commander to either get a new move destination or to attack and try to bull through. This would of course trigger a new acceptance delay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.