Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about the AV condition that if you regain your lost capitol (Paris or Berlin) on your next combat round the game is not over. The way the game works, saving your capitol seems unlikely unless you have a major reserve, unspent, force already adjacent to your capitol ready to counterattack. If you had such a force, they should already be in the capitol defending. So really if you lose your capitol, the majority of your forces nearby will be spent and the invaders will be fresh, having just gone through the PP phase.

Has anyone experienced a game saving counterattack to your capitol?

Also if you did make the save, was it a Pyrrhic victory?

Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now played the game to conclusion twice (both FtF; one win each for the TE in '17 and CP in '16) and the same question/result came up resulting in the same conclusion: no way for the 'losing' side to reconquer their capital without a huge reserve adjacent to the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Uhlmann
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
It really doesn't come into play very often and a large conquering force to Berlin or Paris will pretty much end the game.

For the longest time the rule was an immediate end as soon as Paris or Berlin was occupied. There were some situations (mainly for Berlin but occasionally for Paris) where an end around could allow one or two armies to occupy the capital. On the one hand, one argument was that the player needs to guard against any weakness in their lines and consider all approaches. However, it did give some incentive for an attacking player to make essentially an unrealistic gamey (but with a mathematical chance) move to take the capital knowing that it would be game over and paying no regard to the dangers their troops would be left in.

So the rule isn't really in place to provide an opportunity for the conquered player to have a chance to retake their capital, but more as an incentive against a player occupying the enemy capital with a meager force (and so the capital could be liberated and the invaders potentially cut-off and destroyed which can happen if there is a large reserve force adjacent). A single army marching into Paris or Berlin would not bring the opponent to their knees, but a large force occupying it securely that can't be dislodged indicates a true surrender situation - as it should be.

So I would think it would be rare to see a capital retaken, mainly because if there's a risk of that happening the opponent just might not go for the capital right then as it might be too dangerous to do so - even if they are temporarily able to occupy it.

Still, I would love to hear any battle reports that result in an epic liberation of the capital.

Kirk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.