Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I didn't get a chance to play Gloomhaven in the fifth week after it arrived (that is, two weeks ago), breaking a month-long chain, but I got three plays in this past week, and they were excellent. In fact, I've never laughed as much at the sheer insanity of what progressed in this game as I did in the latter two sessions. We had a new class unlock this week, which marks the first for this campaign. Rather than try to obfuscate the details, this report (and those following) will just be out in the open--spoilers for everyone!

Jim --> Bart Sprocket, Quatryl Tinkerer
Anastasia --> Audraia Filidee, Orchid Spellweaver
Eee --> Fezzik, Inox Brute
Sam --> Ambrosia, Human Scoundrel

Fezzik needs to complete four scenarios in the Dagger Forest, unlock the Foggy Thicket, then run that scenario to completion to reach her personal goal. Audraia needs to kill five more living bones/corpses/spirits with the Skullbane Axe recovered from the Necromancer's Sanctum in order to reach her personal goal. Bart and Ambrosia's goals are more tedious and unable to be completed at this point, so we decided to run the Decaying Crypt, which both gives Audraia more dead stuff to make deader, and provides the 'Dark Bounty' part achievement, allowing us to take on the Outer Ritual Chamber in the Dagger Forest (which, plus Temple of the Eclipse and/or more forest locations unlocked from the chamber, makes the last two scenarios needed for Fezzik to unlock the Foggy Thicket).

This scenario was pretty easy for us. Yes, we were playing at the correct difficulty! At this point, we've learned our characters and our team approach really well, and we don't need to think twice before being efficient and capable in the face of many familiar threats (especially all of this dead stuff). Battle Bot and Ambrosia's Ring of Skulls summon popped right away and soaked almost all of the hits from the first room of elites. Audraia lit them up, big time, with fire, and flipped a 2X with her Skullbane Axe for a OHKO on an elite enemy. Fezzik and Bart rushed the door and opened up the next wave of enemies, which featured more corpses and a clutch of living spirits. Fezzik took a step forward and activated his passive shield and Bart healed him up to max. Ambrosia landed critical daggers into the corpses in the first room, and Audraia did a long rest to refresh the Skullbane Axe. Battle Bot and Ring of Skulls each killed a normal living bones, then started shambling to the next room. The last corpse killed Battle Bot, and the last skeleton killed the Ring of Skulls. So be it, they did their job. The living spirits rushed Fezzik but all clustered in a nice one-by-two triangle. Oh look! Bart has a bow that ignores shield and TWO attacks that hit a one-by-two triangle for at least three damage. A single +0 flip was enough to kill all three spirits in a single shot.

Ambrosia rushed ahead and eviscerated an elite corpse, and Audraia was right behind her with axe in hand. It's pretty amusing seeing the glass cannon caster waving a monolithic battle axe in the air! More corpses dead. More spirits dead. Fezzik and Bart again led the way into the final room, filled to the brim with undeath. Audraia long rested a second time. Ambrosia lured a corpse out of the big room then goes invisible so it resets its focus on Audraia. Axe. Boom. Dead. Long rest. Three down, two to go. Bart ran to the chest and looted a random item design, "Scroll of Power," which is a nice boost to another player on their turn, but your item. Ambrosia proceeded to kite another corpse into the hallway while Fezzik wrecked two spirits and a corpse in a single attack. Bart drew the null card two attacks in a row. Sheesh! He wound up his crank bow for a final big hit against the last elite corpse and drew +3! Not dead, but a huge hit for a healer! Audraia killed one more corpse with the mighty axe. Long rest. Finally, with Fezzik and Bart very close to exhaustion and Ambrosia dancing around coinage, kiting the last spirit, Audraia winds up and whacks the thing with her axe, drawing +2.

Boom. Personal quest complete.

We brushed off the dust from the crypt, got some scenario-completion gold (plus, Ambrosia looted fifty-four gold on her own...!), then headed back to town. Anastasia bade farewell to Audraia Filidee, who was a dynamite damage dealer and all-around party favorite. We added requisite event cards and opened the town records book, wherein Audraia was the first entry to canon. Anastasia then opened up the sunburst box, revealing the Valrath Sunkeeper, a badass lady paladin who hands out bless, strengthen, and shield like candy at a parade, all the while boosting light elemental power and smacking stuff upside the head with heft weapons. We've yet to play again and put the Sunkeeper into action, but after looking through the action cards, I am really impressed and delighted by this spin on the paladin trope.

Mike --> Shia LeBeouf, Orchid Spellweaver

Mike came over and played two two-player sessions with me the following night. He was interested in the Spellweaver already, so he opted to create a new character of his own, taking advantage of Anastasia's parting card enhancements to Impaling Eruption (now four-damage, rather than three-damage). After drawing a personal quest, Mike threw his head back in laughter and said, YES THIS IS THE ONE FOR ME. In essence, it requires Mike to exhaust his character twelve times to "offer succor to the blood god." He couldn't be happier. As a result, he christened his new Spellweaver "(actual cannibal) Shia LeBeouf."

We decided to follow up on the mission thread left in the wake of Jekserah's death weeks prior, wherein the city guard let us know that some northern villager shouted "here be dargons!!" and set off to find out if its true that a dragon (which clearly doesn't exist) is "back." Bart and Shia then were accosted by Inox and Earth Demons in a mountain pass on the way through the bigger foothills. Given that the pass was blocked, they decided to slaughter their attackers and enjoy the mountain scenery all the while. Bart launched Battle Bot, who promptly punched an Earth Demon in the face with a +3 flip the following round. Bart laid a big mine while Shia summoned a Mystic Ally and attacked the closest demon. The demons all took a swing at Shia, but drew a null and -2 right out of the starting gate. Battle Bot and Mystic Ally did some nice work for us before getting whacked by the archers behind the first bend in the opening room. Bart finished off the closest demon by hook-shotting it onto his mine following a +2 attack to the face.

Bart ran ahead and opened the door to the next room, revealing super-annoying wind demons and some Inox guards. Bart ducked back into the first room to let the enemies group up in a cluster, but the guards just popped shield and retaliate and didn't move or attack. Shia landed a 2X flame orbs attack against the group, reducing most to ash. Bart had no problem finishing off the wind demon and then used his Winged Boots to jump over the wall of traps blocking the path. He fired his hook shot at the last guard standing and pulled it onto the trap directly adjacent to him, killing the enemy immediately. Shia and Mystic Ally could now get through the path without having to trigger a trap, and Shia used the +8 jump card to quickly traverse the second length of the path and open the final room. A pair of big nasty demons waited for us inside, but Shia was able to hit the closest with Impaling Eruption, then exhausted (BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD). This was pretty tight! Bart hit both demons with his flamethrower, then ran backwards towards the trap wall. The demons pursued and were both out of range to attack. Using his bow, Bart bypassed the shield on the elite wind demon and hit it with his crank bow for +2, killing it instantly. Two wound ticks in, the earth demon was still good to go, despite having been hit with Flamethrower and Impaling Eruption. Bart had two turns worth of cards left, so he ran closer to the traps. The earth demon continued coming. Bart hit it with a +0 Ink Bomb, then ran behind the trap wall. The earth demon took a big swing and landed +2 on Bart, almost killing him. However, in the final round, Bart moved to the other side of a trap and used his twice-rested hook shot on the foe, pulling it into its sudden death.

Mike --> Shia LeBeouf, Orchid Spellweaver

We then learned all about the "Voice" who was somehow compelling the Inox and demons to doing its bidding. The "Voice" had a lot to say to Bart and Shia, too, so we opted to set up Echo Chamber next and help the "Voice" escape from its prison (naively helping unknown ancient forces out of their bondage is always a good idea, right?). This was a HUGE scenario. Six big map tiles all smashed together with a total of eight door overlays. The goal of the scenario is to "open all of the doors," thus clearing the fog in the chamber and allowing the aforementioned elder god perfectly innocent "Voice" out of its bondage.

The first room was populated with three rending drakes and two oozes. Both of these enemies suck, but rending drakes REALLY suck. Native wound on every attack? Ouch, man! At least its not poison, which is the WORST. Shia summoned Mystic Ally, who was torn to shreds immediately by a drake. However, the other two drakes either missed or hit for very weak damage, so Shia was mostly unscathed (albeit wounded). The oozes sat in their corners and did gross stuff, but didn't bother us. Bart ran past the drakes and fired at them from behind, while also opening the first door. Several living spirits waited on the other side, but not much more. Mike had apparently drawn a battle goal that rewarded setting off a trap and/or hurting himself, as he had Shia make a bee-line for the trap next to the spirits and jumped onto it. Thankfully Bart was already planning on healing this turn, so no one was actually close to death. Bart disarmed the elite spirit and Shia killed it, then ran back two spaces and opened another door, revealing a nest of drakes. The drake gave chase, but were not close enough to hit anyone. We opened the biggest room at the end and it was full of drakes, spirits, and elite oozes. That turn, the oozes drew the "take damage and split into two" card, meaning that all but two ooze standees plopped onto the board. Bart moved forward and opened two more doors to the drake's nesting room, but they were already far to the north and original door, so they were far from harming the party.

Shia threw Bart for a loop by using her +8 jump card to soar over all of the enemies and traps in the room and land on the treasure chest tile in the back corner, revealing a random side scenario (Windswept Highlands). At that point, four oozes were all within (literal) spitting distance, and despite a few low modifiers, outright killed Shia on the spot (MOAR BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD). I laughed out loud. I couldn't believe how reckless Mike was playing given his personal quest. I mean, he was playing in a smart manner, but totally unhinged. He was roleplaying the whole thing quite well! Bart summoned Battle Bot and it not only tanked that round without dying, it started the next round by moving towards the closest drake and killing it outright with a +3 flip (it was previously damaged the turn prior). High-five/mechanical arm, Battle Bot! Bart was able to slip into the next room, opening door six of eight. Two more oozes were within, and a huge horde of monsters was giving chase--eight oozes, three spirits, and two drakes! One ooze attacked, but did not do much. Bart then ran into the last room (only one door left!) and opened up his Flamethower on the ooze and drake next to him. The drake tried to hit him, but missed with a null card. On the last turn (Bart was actually far from exhaustion at this point!), the drake and ooze met an untimely end as the Tinkerer activated his brand-new DISINTEGRATION BEAM and with a crackling VORP! the monsters were no more. Bart side-stepped through the last door, and won the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love these write-ups.

I'm surprised you found that first scenario so easy, given that the Corpses are two levels higher than whatever the scenario level is....

Also, you are flipping a modifier card for *each* target in a multiple-target attack, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
The corpses were tough, no doubt, but we had Audraia swinging her mega axe against them and a lot of very efficient and organized tactical play. As for multi-target attacks, yes, we flip one card per target, not a single card for the whole attack. I can see if my "a single +0 flip" was misleading. I did flip three modifiers there, that comment was meant to convey that I didn't need a boost in damage to land the kills. The wording could have been better.

Thanks for the kind words!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
CrushU wrote:
I'm surprised you found that first scenario so easy, given that the Corpses are two levels higher than whatever the scenario level is...

Annowme wrote:
The corpses were tough, no doubt, but we had Audraia swinging her mega axe against them and a lot of very efficient and organized tactical play. As for multi-target attacks, yes, we flip one card per target, not a single card for the whole attack. I can see if my "a single +0 flip" was misleading. I did flip three modifiers there, that comment was meant to convey that I didn't need a boost in damage to land the kills. The wording could have been better.

Thanks for the kind words!

I realized upon looking at the scenario book after setting up another game yesterday that the "corpses are two levels harder" rule is for Outer Ritual Chamber, not Decaying Crypt, which, instead, adds three curse cards to each player's deck. We did that correctly. I now see where you and I got the two scenario effects crossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
You always have mini-sessions, but never standee sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
You always have mini-sessions, but never standee sessions.

Ironically enough, these are all standee sessions.

You could call them mini-standee-sessions, or standee-mini-sessions, or smaller-than-normal-single-session-reports-strung-together-into-one-post-featuring-standees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.